After A C-section

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my eldest Maine Coon had to have an emergency c-section and spay today. We saved 2 of the 4 kittens. One is larger and was born naturally and has nursed. The other had to be revived and is smaller. Mom is still woozy from the surgery and we gave her a small amount of buprenorphine as pain med. I have them in a small pen in my closet with a heater. However, Porsche is stumbling all over and has no interest in caring for the kittens. Do I start feeding them KMR at this point until she is better able to take over? I tried to hold her on her side for them to nurse but she got very angry about that which is so unlike her. She definitely has milk. The pain med will last about 24 hours. I'll be tracking the kittens' weights. Having not had to do a section before this is uncharted territory.

Michelle

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? I would definitely start bottle feeding if she can’t take care of them they have to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's 4 years old, it was to be her last litter anyway

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to supplement the kittens every 2 hours until mom feels better. It may take her 3 days. I hope the vet gave you 3 days of pain meds for mama. She will need it.

You will probably need to use a syringe. Use a 1 or 2mL syringe.

How much do the kittens weigh? They need to gain 6-10 grams each per day.

You need to pay special attention to the smaller, weaker kitten.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tabby is 5 ounces, the white one is 4 ounces. I tube fed them 1cc per ounce. They did fine with that. I have injectable buprenorphine for Porsche, to be given once every 24 hours for pain control. She is super anxious and wants nothing to do with the babies right now. Usually she is an awesome mother. I'll keep tubing the kittens until she can take over. I just don't want her milk supply to dwindle because I'm tubing the kittens. I'm also stimulating them since she's not. I hope she'll take to them once the anesthesia wears off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will take to them soon. Right now she does not feel well. You should allow the kittens to nurse between tube feedings if mom will allow it, but her milk will not dry up. Your cat had major surgery, but she will feel better over the next few days.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, first time I've had to make this decision to do a c-section. Had not required one before.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weight are very good, also for the smaller one. Unless of course, MCO babies ARE noticeably bigger at birth than most other cats. Of course, the one whom you got to revive, has thinner margins than the other. So you must watch out esp with him. Good you are experienced with tube feeding. Its a good device, but nothing for a beginner whom dont know exactly how to.
In some variations you will perhaps need to use glucose sugar. In practice its water with honey, so its sweet. Goes directly into blood already from the mouth. so it may be to just smear some on lips and gums.

1cc / oz I suppose you mean at a time, several times a day... As the rule of thumb is 8cc / oz a day. Giving in your case 32 and 40 cc to distribute around the day. ie 4 / 5 cc 8 times a day...

What you can try, to save some of the mothers milk and colostrum, is to take a little sponge, for example a make up sponge, and try to absorb some milk from the teats, and let the smaller of the kittens whom was C-delivered, suckle of that sponge.

Cant hurt, may help.

Raw goats milk is too useful, it too comes from an alive momma, no?

The tabby is 5 ounces, the white one is 4 ounces. I tube fed them 1cc per ounce. They did fine with that. I have injectable buprenorphine for Porsche, to be given once every 24 hours for pain control. She is super anxious and wants nothing to do with the babies right now. Usually she is an awesome mother. I'll keep tubing the kittens until she can take over. I just don't want her milk supply to dwindle because I'm tubing the kittens. I'm also stimulating them since she's not. I hope she'll take to them once the anesthesia wears off.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did pick up raw goats milk this morning, defrosting it now. I am feeding every 3 hours. I will try the sponge trick as I don't think the white one nursed at all. She's still ignoring them.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But then they'd be getting far more in a 24 hour period if I keep feeding 4cc and 5cc at a time to them. Those amounts per feedings seem to make them full, but not overly full that they are uncomfortable. They aren't awake and screaming when I get them every 3 hours, they are sleeping together. I can't feasibly do every 1-2 hours on workdays.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's crashed and we are at the emergency vet. She's in shock and unresponsive.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kidney failure from the surgery, her bloodwork was awful. We euthanized her.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry. What an awful time you have had.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. You did all you could, these awful unseen complications are not something you could predict. When you are ready, please post your tribute to your little girl on our Crossing the Bridge Forum. I'll pray for you all. RIP beautiful Porsche.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This was her. The 2 kittens are gaining slowly. Taking the larger male to be checked today as he hasn't pooped since Saturday.