After 9 months of trying to get our two cats to tolerate each other, we are running out of ideas. Help!

Cjd238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. Long post so I apologise in advance.

So I have a resident cat who is 5 years old. He's a little sweet heart who just wants to eat, sleep and cuddle up with someone 24/7. We can occasionally encourage him to play, but normally doesn't last longer then a few minutes before he wants to cuddle again. He also has two bad back legs due to being hit by a car prior to me rescuing him.

8 months ago, we rescued a 3-4 week old kitten who was found alone and almost dead. No sign of his mother or other kittens after waiting hours. The choice was to leave the kitten to die or take him. We chose to take him.

After an expensive vet visit and weeks of caring for him, we got him back to a healthy state. This is were be began the slow introductions.

For several weeks, we slowly allowed the cats access to each other, following Jackson Galaxy's and other professionals advice. We were very easily able to have them eat next to each other, no hissing etc. Once we allowed them access to each other, we could see the kittens play was very aggressive but my resident cat was able to push back a lot of the negative behaviour. However, due to the behaviour still being constant and play aggressive from the kitten, we weren't able to have them having free access to the house. Only supervised play.

We set up a room for the kitten and installed a screen door as the bedroom door so he was still apart of the family, bonding etc. During this time, the kitten got plently of supervised play outside of his room. The play aggression continued despite positive interventions.

Over the next few months as the kitten got older, the play aggression got worse and my older cat got more annoyed by the behaviour. We quickly got the kitten dexed and started all the tips we found... Feliway, ending all interactions on positive notes, lots of climbing spaces, separate get away spaces, time apart, LOTS of play, love and cuddle etc etc etc etc.

But the kitten just got more aggressive. It's not fighting aggression, more he just wants to rough house sooo bad, but my resident cat wants absolutely NOTHING to do with him. They'll happily coexist in a room, as long as the kitten stays well away. But he never does. He keeps trying and it's getting worse week by week. We try and tire him out, but we can literally play with the kitten from after work till bedtime but he still won't be tired.

At the 7 month mark, we are losing our minds. We had to basically seperate the time each cat gets. So we decided to spend a tone of money and hired a cat behaviourist. We got some of the great advice like clicker training etc. We did have some very minor improvements, but still having to intervene every few minutes most nights.

The play aggression use to just be a pounce and runaway, but this has esculated the last two months. The play aggression fights is now the kitten stalking the resident cat, jumping onto his back, then aggressively biting his neck trying to drag him to the ground. My resident cat is then yowling and hissing trying to run away. I race to intervene. In that time before I get here, the resident cat doesn't try to stand up for himself but instead runs away. This then causes the kitten to chase him, starting the cycle again. It's awful to watch.

We're now at the point were the resident cat gets the house in the morning, the kitten gets the house in the afternoon, then the night time is spent trying and seperating them all night. My partner and I are exhausted. We are expecting a baby in November and have no idea how we can keep this up.

We have three options:

1. We keep them separated and doing slow short meeting as we've been doing and hope they'll get to the point of co existing. Using all the advice of the cat behaviourist, YouTube etc.

2. We rehome the kitten to a family member. Unfortunately the family does work long hours, but is otherwise home during all his spare time. He seems like he'll be a good cat parent but I'm still so scared to ever rehome him.

3. We try a trial with a kitten the same age and energy level as our kitten and see if once he has a play mate, the attention will be off the resident cat.

We think the best option is number 2, but both my partner and I are in tears even thinking about the idea. We absolutely ADORE the kitten. He's truly come an amazing cat. He's independent but has moments of being so affectionate. He'll snuggle under the blanket with us and give little licks. He as a slight problem with biting when over excited, but it's getting better with training. His personality is so weird and cute!

On one hand we know the stress on the resident cat and the kitten having to be locked away a lot isn't fair on either of them. We just want the best. But on the other hand, our hearts are breaking at even the thought of him going somewhere else... Like what if they don't care him for the same way, what if they let him outside accidentally etc.

Please please just anyone give us advice? What do you think we should do?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would rehome the kitten. I think that your older cat is under a great deal of stress. And, as we have a dog who does not get along with our cats after two years, I know how exhausting it is to try and split your time between pets. It just doesn't have the same happy, peaceful home feeling when you have to keep everyone apart.

You have really, really tried!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cjd238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would rehome the kitten. I think that your older cat is under a great deal of stress. And, as we have a dog who does not get along with our cats after two years, I know how exhausting it is to try and split your time between pets. It just doesn't have the same happy, peaceful home feeling when you have to keep everyone apart.

You have really, really tried!
Thank you for replying. You are right, it's so exhausting. My partner comes home to me in tears many days. And with a new baby coming, it's only going to get harder.
My brain agrees with you, but my heart is sad. Lots of tears are being shed tonight!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try option 3, with a couple of caveats. 1.) Are you willing to have a 3rd cat with a baby on the way? 2.) Would your family member be amenable to taking on two cats, assuming they bond, but this set up doesn't resolve the issue with the older cat? I do think that this kitten needs a playmate, and that eventually he will mature enough to stop bugging your other cat. Just my :2cents:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can only speak for my own home, but two human adults and an old man cat couldn't keep up with a kitten. I got another kitten.

I would not rehome unless the family has a similar energy level play mate for him. He could just start playing rough with humans over there or getting into a lot of trouble. Especially if home alone significantly.

But you must take FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's advice to heart to consider this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds as if his "aggressiveness" is more a matter of normaI high-energy kitten pIay, not maIice. Which makes the decision even harder. MyseIf, I'd add another kitten of the same age and energy IeveI, make sure the resident cat has ampIe pIaces to retreat to, and see how that works. And shouId you eventuaIIy have to rehome the kittens, do it as a bonded pair. They wouId be much happier with a buddy for comfort in new surroundings.

ProMeower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We rescued a kitten in what sounds like similar circumstances - starving to death on the street, no mom, height of COVID when the shelters were closed. I say this because we didn't really have room for a 3rd cat and had a senior and middle aged cat already. The kitten really, really wanted to "hunt" the other cats and tiring him out with toys didn't do anything. The other cats would yell and hiss and cry, and there were tufts of fur everywhere (I wasn't always home to intervene). I felt really bad for the existing cats, but I couldn't bear to kick out the youngest just for wanting to play.

That kitten is about 3 years old now and that's how long it took him to stop. He's an amazing cat, sweet and affectionate, playful, a good hunter. It might just take that long for yours to settle down. The question is just whether you can live with it long enough to get there.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try option 3, with a couple of caveats. 1.) Are you willing to have a 3rd cat with a baby on the way? 2.) Would your family member be amenable to taking on two cats, assuming they bond, but this set up doesn't resolve the issue with the older cat? I do think that this kitten needs a playmate, and that eventually he will mature enough to stop bugging your other cat. Just my :2cents:
I wholeheartedly agree with this. You have time to see if a second kitten would help, and I really do think it will. There's just something about the way two cats play with each other that can't be replicated any other way, with humans playing, using toys, or whatever it may be. I actually think multiple cats are easier to care for than a single cat for this very reason! Plus, the kitten stage doesn't last forever. We have fostered kittens before (and I am always astounded by how much energy they have) and we've also had to separate and manage cats who can't get along, so I understand what you and your family are dealing with right now.

The play aggression fights is now the kitten stalking the resident cat, jumping onto his back, then aggressively biting his neck trying to drag him to the ground. My resident cat is then yowling and hissing trying to run away. I race to intervene. In that time before I get here, the resident cat doesn't try to stand up for himself but instead runs away. This then causes the kitten to chase him, starting the cycle again. It's awful to watch.
This is common kitten behavior, and it's probably escalating because your resident cat isn't responding with an equal amount of energy. This is where another kitten will be an huge benefit because they will help your kitten learn boundaries when he has another kitten doing to him what he is currently doing to your resident cat. Right now, no one is teaching him what is and isn't appropriate. And I don't mean to infer that you're not training them (I know you've been doing so much already!), I mean that sometimes only cats can teach other cats certain behavioral traits, biting and nipping and rough play among them.

You probably already have a lot toys, these two seem to be kitten favorites that encourage solo play for extended periods of time (or multiple kitten play that doesn't require involvement from you or your resident cat). All of our foster kittens have loved these.
https://www.chewy.com/catstages-tower-tracks-cat-toy-3/dp/126530
https://www.chewy.com/catit-senses-20-wave-circuit-cat-toy/dp/218198

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
As kittensa,peaches and Maggie were best buds but as they aged Peaches mostly no longer wanted to be her play mate at least on her own time.Maggie didn't understand so hissing and growling started. Now they are senior and they tolerate each other. I also choose option 3 since you have a baby coming clicker train the kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cjd238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all your replies! Sorry for the slow update.

So despite reading the consensus was option 3, we went with option 2... And it was the worst idea we ever had. I balled my eyes out the second I walk out of Frankies (the kittens) new room. Basically went into a depression spiral, feeling absolute awful guilt. My partner has since spoken to the family member and we're bringing Frankie back home. He's a part of our family and we'll do whatever it takes for him to settle in back in and try to keep him off the resident cat.

We are still considering the new kitten, but just not straight away. We're going to first try installing a microchip cat door in our master bedroom. Our master bedroom is going to become our resident cats safe place. His food will be in there as well. We will move his litter tray to the ensuite if we notice him getting terrorised at his tray (so far, this isn't an issue, but we'll monitor it). We'll keep their time seperate with positive interactions etc.

We're also going to try moving Frankie into a room with a big window to give him lots of entertainment during the times he's in his room. Right now, the window is a skylight so his entertainment comes from his toys and cat trees. When he's free roaming in the house, he loooooves hanging out at the big windows.

I want to do whatever it takes for it to work. I'm sorry we didn't listen to everyone in the first instance. We're going to work to settle Frankie back in and make the transition as smooth as possible ❤