Africa Cats (the movie)

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in the middle of watching Africa Cats the movie with Samuel L Jackson as the narrator. Anyways as you all know lions eat raw food only anytime they feed.

My question is Why are their teeth yellow? Is it age?

I thought by feeding raw the tearing of the meat and bones cleans the teeth.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may just be the natural color of their teeth? I don't think I've ever seen a lion with really white teeth. I suppose to make a good comparison you'd have to look at the teeth of a captive lion on a raw diet and see if the yellow is natural or because of something about their wild lifestyle.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.predatorconservation.com/lion.htm

Scroll down, and there are four pictures of lion's teeth - young, with milk teeth, one with adult teeth growing in, and adult, and an old lion.

The adult lion's teeth are yellow, but you can see, there's no (or little) tartar or plaque build-up. People who drink coffee, tea, or soda have yellow-stained teeth. I imagine that eating blood for 10 years (lions live to be about 16 years old) would stain their teeth.

Obviously the older lion's teeth are worn down/broken. Feral cats often have broken teeth - it comes with the fighting/hunting required.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whoa those pics are great! I suppose it would yellow their teeth from eating blood for years. Idk just something I was thinking while I was watching it. :)