Afraid to Get Another Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good post all around. Trust your intuition and your interaction with whomever you "interview." Ms. Bengal will undoubtedly find a home, whether yours or ???
In some respects I feel obligated. He's not planning on re-selling her through any animal friendly channels. He got her off Craigslist, for God's sake, so I'm not holding my breath about her papers being good. Or even in existence. If that's the case, I can't take her. I'd rather she go to someone who wants her because she's a cat and not just a pretty coat. I figure anyone with the cash to buy her will probably be able to afford the vet bills she will incur if she's been poorly bred

I'm thinking of contacting a rescue group and asking for advice on rehoming. Vets won't take bengals, but will rescue groups? I don't want him selling her on Craigslist.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In some respects I feel obligated. He's not planning on re-selling her through any animal friendly channels. He got her off Craigslist, for God's sake, so I'm not holding my breath about her papers being good. Or even in existence. If that's the case, I can't take her. I'd rather she go to someone who wants her because she's a cat and not just a pretty coat. I figure anyone with the cash to buy her will probably be able to afford the vet bills she will incur if she's been poorly bred

I'm thinking of contacting a rescue group and asking for advice on rehoming. Vets won't take bengals, but will rescue groups? I don't want him selling her on Craigslist.
Agree 100% and thanking you for that! Oh, yes, there are "breed rescues" out there. You can google "bengal cat rescues in (your preferred search area) or just do a "bengal cat rescues in USA" because there may not be that many of them. Or "bengal cat rescues near me"--I just did this and there are rescues nationwide.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree 100% and thanking you for that! Oh, yes, there are "breed rescues" out there. You can google "bengal cat rescues in (your preferred search area) or just do a "bengal cat rescues in USA" because there may not be that many of them. Or "bengal cat rescues near me"--I just did this and there are rescues nationwide.
There are a few groups in my city. There's a bengal cattery just twenty minutes from me.

Tomorrow I find out everything: does she have papers? are they in order? But most of all, if i can't adopt her, would he be willing to forgo the money he spent on her and let her enter a system where she will be properly rehomed? True, he was going to just give her to me, but we're friends, and he knows that I'm a cat guy. Would he be willing to do what's right not for my sake, but for the cat's sake? Let's hope so.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few groups in my city. There's a bengal cattery just twenty minutes from me.

Tomorrow I find out everything: does she have papers? are they in order? But most of all, if i can't adopt her, would he be willing to forgo the money he spent on her and let her enter a system where she will be properly rehomed? True, he was going to just give her to me, but we're friends, and he knows that I'm a cat guy. Would he be willing to do what's right not for my sake, but for the cat's sake? Let's hope so.
Well, you could let your friend know that you are going to take over her care and then the decision and actions will be yours. When there's something as important as this is, I always try to put it in my own hands and never in another's. Relying on others to do the right thing has often been disappointing for me so it's DIY first and foremost.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, you could let your friend know that you are going to take over her care and then the decision and actions will be yours. When there's something as important as this is, I always try to put it in my own hands and never in another's. Relying on others to do the right thing has often been disappointing for me so it's DIY first and foremost.
It could become a sticky situation considering he paid $1000 for her and was willing to just give her to me. If I cannot take her and he intends to recoup the money he paid for her I will have to be tactful and convince him that the well-being of the cat is more important than the money he paid for her. He's a good guy but you know, money is money.

We have a friend in common so I will get in touch with her and see if she can't help convince him to do the right thing and let me handle the situation.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could become a sticky situation considering he paid $1000 for her and was willing to just give her to me. If I cannot take her and he intends to recoup the money he paid for her I will have to be tactful and convince him that the well-being of the cat is more important than the money he paid for her. He's a good guy but you know, money is money.

We have a friend in common so I will get in touch with her and see if she can't help convince him to do the right thing and let me handle the situation.
Reduce everything to its essence. He is willing to give her to you without being paid. That means once he does so, she is yours. No one else needs to be involved.