Afraid I Will Regret Second Cat

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep looking at your amazing photo of the 2 cats for reassurance..I’m going to pick up our new kitten on Friday and I’m dreading it :paranoid:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep looking at your amazing photo of the 2 cats for reassurance..I’m going to pick up our new kitten on Friday and I’m dreading it :paranoid:
Aww, best of luck with everything! My advice would be to go into it knowing that there might be moments of doubt and stress about the process, but that is normal, and it will just take time to adjust (for you and the cats). And also remember that it's normal for it to take some time for a bond to start growing between you and the new kitty - just because you don't immediately love them as much as you love your first cat doesn't mean that kind of love won't develop. That's something I had to reassure myself of at first, and by now the new kitty is already worming her way into my heart :)

Hope it all works out!!

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are your kitties? Do you have more photos or anecdotes to share? I need moral support in the dark days before I bring home my new kitten...life with 1 seems so perfect now that it’s about to end! :doh:

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats are both doing well still! They play quite a bit and will chase each other around like crazy when they get the zoomies. And I have seen them grooming each other a number of times now, which always melts my heart! They really seem to have warmed up to each other pretty quickly, from all I've read about cat introductions.

Getting used to the change in the household is still a transition for both me and Smog I think. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily - just getting used to a change in all our routines and figuring out how the new dynamics between us three will shape up. But Smog is way more confident now than he was when the new kitty first moved in. Smog initiates play too a lot of the time now, which wasn't the case at first. I have been lucky that other than some moments where I can tell Smog is a bit annoyed at her (she is a little more in-your-face while Smog likes a bit more space) there haven't been any altercations. No fights I've had to break up or anything like that. For the most part they just either do their own thing or play!

I hope all goes well when you bring home your new kitty! I know it can be scary to make that change, especially when you already love your first cat so much. But so far I have found that it just takes patience to get through those times where there is doubt, and each good little moment (seeing them grooming each other or playing) is a reminder that it will all work out in time. Keep us updated if you want :)

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going through that right now. my husband and i had two older cats, one was his lap cat, and one was mine. we recently got two kittens, and my cat hid in the closet for about a month when they were out. I miss our time together so much, i somewhat regret getting the kittens. we have had the kittens for about three months, but they have been somewhat separated from the big guys for a couple health issues. when they are downstairs my cat will come out and sit on my lap again finally, but I am hoping for that day that we can all be in the same room together.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View media item 420343Guys, one more update... see picture. My heart nearly exploded when this happened! I was so happy. I hope anyone going through the same doubts and fears about adding a second cat eventually gets the reassurance and sweetness of a moment like this :)