Affordable Dry Food Brands

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a high protein, low carb dry food brand for two cats that is $30-$45, any suggestions?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The three I know of that are super low carb are young again dr elseys and tiki cat. however I do believe those are very expensive. Young again has three bag options 4, 8, 25 for 30$, 49$, and 129$. Dr elseys is 2 and 6.6 for 15$ and 42$. Tiki is 3, 5.6, 11 for 17$, 25$, and 45$.

Some higher carb foods but still good are nature variety, wellness core, and solid gold indigo moon. Those will be higher carb but maybe more cheap. Also be sure to include wet food. It’s very important for multiple reason. If you need cheaper wet food fancy feast classics Are low carb for cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What else do you suggest if that don't work or satisfy them enough?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she leaving food out for them overnight?
So, that might help, if she isn't doing that already, and the only other thing I could think of would be to adjust the quantity of the more frequent meals as necessary.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hithere: My cats are a year old as well. They currently eat two wet meals a day (about three ounces at each meal) and they have 1/3 cup of Tiki fish and chicken dry during the day. Sometimes they have a little more overnight but I'm finding that they aren't looking for it as much as when they were younger.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much Iams are they going through a month? I typically go through a 10 lbs bag of natures variety (40$) a month with two adult cats. That’s with a split can of cat food with some warm water added.
So my two cats split half a cup of natures variety raw boost (sometimes applaws or performatrin) and a 5.5 oz can of cat food and they stay trim and in shape and full.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she leaving food out for them overnight?
So, that might help, if she isn't doing that already, and the only other thing I could think of would be to adjust the quantity of the more frequent meals as necessary.
No, she just fills the two-sided bowl or whatever it called and that all they get, she says she overfills it too, i'm guessing each side holds about a cup
How much Iams are they going through a month? I typically go through a 10 lbs bag of natures variety (40$) a month with two adult cats. That’s with a split can of cat food with some warm water added.
So my two cats split half a cup of natures variety raw boost (sometimes applaws or performatrin) and a 5.5 oz can of cat food and they stay trim and in shape and full.
She says its last less than a week, so 3-5 bags? i don't know what size bag shes buying but i'm assuming its a small size

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She buys the 7lb bags, are they overeating? 3 or 4 bags seems like a lot. i wonder if she was exaggerating a bit?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say definitely over feeding. And such a high carb food is not good. It will only lead to health problems down the road. If they’re going through 28 lbs of cat food a month I would be concerned. If she stays with Iams the most they should be getting is a measured out 1 cup to 1.5 cups shared between them a day. That’s without wet food.
I would definitely change to a higher quality dry food. And another tip, sometimes cats are just whiny. And the more us humans give into thatwhiny behavior the more they’re going to do it. I know my cats aren’t starving when they whine. They’re in good shape and have no healthy problems. They’re just little brats who want us to serve them. So I just ignore their whiny behavior most of the time. Maybe she can play with them and their favorite toy when they start crying. That helps with mine most of the time.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my two girls were eating strictly kibble, they were going through a 12 lb bag of Nature's Variety in about 5 weeks.
Now, I combo feed them. They get wet food and Dr Elsey's cleanprotein kibble and will go through a 6.6 lb bag of DrE in about 2 months.