Affordable (clay) litter?

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always bought (clumping) clay litter at Pet Supplies Plus. You sign up for their emails and every now and again they do a weekend sale. It might be 15% off your purchase or $10 off of $50 or whatever. If they also have a sale on litter, you put the two together and you get something half way affordable.

I'm moving to a new place and there's no Pet Supplies within 2 hours of my house. :( There's a Petco and a PetSmart about an hour away. Do they do sales on litter? I've always felt the farm store litter is poorer quality than the pet store litter.

I buy all my cat food online, so I get a couple heavy packages in the mail each month. I feel guilty making the UPS guy deliver 100lbs of litter on top of that. I've been meaning to transition them to corn (chicken feed) but I've got one who hates it so I need to go slow. I have been too busy and too stressed to take on new projects at the moment. Any thoughts?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use arm and hammer double duty. They have a value pack size which is great especialy with Kabuto being older. Like people, old cats have to pee more often than younger ones.

Genneraly you are getting more for your money if you buy the bigger packages even though it is more upfront, it is less per lb. Regardless of brand.

Arm and hammer clumps very well, an issue i often have with off brands.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tractor Supply brand Paws and Claws. It's a little dusty, but clumps great and is great on smell. Petco So Fresh Advanced is my second favorite, almost no dust, but not as great covering smells.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, get Paws & Claws non- clumping litter. I know you say farm store brands are lower quality but not this one. I swear by Paws & Claws. Urine literally disappears after a short amount of time. And you can get a 25lbs bag for less than $7!! Atleast where I live.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a big fan of Cats Pride (Max unscented with triple odor guard) for multicats- it's dust free,minimal tracking , clumps great and very affordable- I buy it online from WalMart ,they often have sales

The manufacturer is Oil-Dri Corp of America, since 1941.. they also donate and support shelters with one pound of litter for every jug sold through a program they created " Litter for Good".....

The "green jug" is very inexpensive and works well too - the Blue( what I use) is a bit more $ but still affordable & quite reasonable imo and I'm on a tight budget

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much litter does everyone use? At the cat sanctuary near my home they use wood pellets. Never tried that myself, I use the corn litter mixed with a little clay litter. My cats seem to like it a lot and I keep about 2.5" in the box.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a Petco
Petco has a clay based litter that they have available in a big bin, you do a one-time purchase of the container and can bring that in for a discounted price. I haven't done the math on it, but it can be helpful. This litter is dusty sometimes, so I typically add a little grass seed litter to it which helps cut the dustiness.

Be wary of the corn feed as litter, I've read it can get moldy.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much litter does everyone use? At the cat sanctuary near my home they use wood pellets. Never tried that myself, I use the corn litter mixed with a little clay litter. My cats seem to like it a lot and I keep about 2.5" in the box.
I use about 150# per month. I have 8 indoor cats.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should re-phrase my question. How much litter does everyone use in each litter box? Some people tell me 2.5" per box is too much and others tell me 3" is better. I have always wondered if there is a "best" amount? Or is it simply whatever works for you?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I should re-phrase my question. How much litter does everyone use in each litter box? Some people tell me 2.5" per box is too much and others tell me 3" is better. I have always wondered if there is a "best" amount? Or is it simply whatever works for you?
I use different depths in different boxes because some of my cats prefer more than others- 2.5 minimum.....more 3" & better in most of mine,they are real diggers (I have 5cats and 7 boxes

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, there is such a variety of recommendations from everyone I talk to and every pet food store I go to. Do you completely clean your boxes on a regular basis? I was told to completely remove the litter once a week and throughly wash the boxes with soap and water. Does this seem reasonable?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, there is such a variety of recommendations from everyone I talk to and every pet food store I go to. Do you completely clean your boxes on a regular basis? I was told to completely remove the litter once a week and throughly wash the boxes with soap and water. Does this seem reasonable?
I have four boxes and every week to week and a half, I dump the contents of one box into the other three, then wash that box and add fresh litter. So each box is thoroughly cleaned around every month or so. With this technique, I never throw litter away, which to me feels like a waste. I feel like fully washing and changing litter every week is a bit much.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like your solution. Hope you don't mind if I steal it and do the same thing?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose it greatly depends on what litter one uses... I use clumping clay so there's no need to dump out perfectly clean litter-if and when the sides get dirty I pour the litter into a bag,clean the box and put it back...

With the clumping litter you are constantly adding fresh litter and removing dirty so changing the litter seems unreasonable to me because it is clean....I've used litters thst do not clumping as well as what I use and has those crumbly bits- that stuff I used to dump