Affordable Chicken Free Foods?

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

So, my cat has had issues with diarrhea and vomiting pretty much since I got him. The vomiting I learned was just from him eating too fast and too much. But now I'm starting to wonder if it may be a symptom of an allergy as well.

When I first got him he ate Acana Meadowlands exclusively and sometimes I'd give him a can of fancy feast. His stool was always solid, small, and dark brown. I switched him to trader joes wet food and he started having issues, all of those formulations included chicken, but they also had things like rice which I know upsets some cats stomach.

Currently he eats Wellness Beef and Salmon and then an assortment of different wet foods. Some days his stool looks great, others its very runny and a grayish brown color, or he'll be constipated and then pass a large stool (on days I feed him a different wet food).

I suspect he has a chicken allergy, because the same day I fed him Merricks chicken pate he had horrible diarrhea and he vomitted. I havent noticed any lethargy or skin issues tho, which is why I'm not sure if its an allergy or intolerance or what.

Anyway, I've decided to just not feed him any type of chicken at all and see if that fixes the problem. Problem is finding brands that contain NO chicken (chicken broth, liver, etc) and also have proteins he'll eat.

He doesn't like turkey. Wellness's beef and salmon seems to be the only formulation they have without chicken. He likes duck but is there a brand out there that is good quality and comes in the large 12.5 oz cans? All I've been able to find are the 5.5 cans, which aren't enough food for him and last me one day as opposed to two.

Basically, I'm looking for a food free of chicken, without turkey as the main protein, that is affordable and if at all possible comes in the big 12.5 oz cans

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Depending on what you are calling "affordable", Wellness also makes a Salmon and Trout in that size can, Lotus makes a Duck Pate and also a Pork Pate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on what you are calling "affordable", Wellness also makes a Salmon and Trout in that size can, Lotus makes a Duck Pate and also a Pork Pate.
Affordable for me would be no more than $2 per can...I went to the pet store the other day looking for options and I think Lotus was around $2.19.

Okay, salmon and trout sounds good for a little variety. I'm just worried about him getting too much mercury with all that fish

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I worry about that too with my guys. But figure trout is fresh water, so that should be ok. And salmon is fresh water half the time, right? :wink:

If you find ones that you're sure she likes, then have you though about ordering on-line by the case? It's usually less expensive. That's what several of us do. 'course, depends on where you live. Many of us use Chewy.com if you're in the U.S.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is allergic to chicken... Natural Balance LID, Canidae Pure Sea (13 oz cans for most savings), some of the Hound & Gatos varieties are chicken and grain free, and less than $2 a can. I'll look up more when I get a chance but those ones we rely on a lot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the novel protein thread for suggestions: Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food I'm not sure if all the foods discussed are chicken-free so you'd have to check the company web site for a detailed list of ingredients.

I'm not sure if novel protein foods are even available in a large 12.5 oz cans. 5.5 oz is the biggest size.

It looks like Blue Buffalo has these in a 12.5 oz can:
Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Flaked Tuna Entree in Gravy Canned Cat Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Grain-Free Canned Cat Food

I found this but it has chicken even though it's a duck and tuna recipe: FreeStyle | Cat Canned | Duck | Nulo Pet Food :angrywoman:

Nature's Variety Instinct Orignals for dogs can be fed to cats. The recipies the exact same ones as the cat recipies. Instinct Original | Instinct Pet Food Not the new stew ones, just the original formula ones.

Last edited:

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nature's Variety Instinct Orignals for dogs can be fed to cats. The recipies the exact same ones as the cat recipies. Instinct Original | Instinct Pet Food Not the new stew ones, just the original formula ones.[/QUOTE]

Aha! Thank you for that! I was in the store the other day trying to remember the brand I had seen people say had the same formulation for dogs and cats. They have a lot of different protein options so hopefully a few are chicken free.

The 12 oz cans just make more sense economically for me since I have one cat and each can can last me 2 days as opposed to one with the 5.5 oz cans where he ends up still hungry

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is allergic to chicken... Natural Balance LID, Canidae Pure Sea (13 oz cans for most savings), some of the Hound & Gatos varieties are chicken and grain free, and less than $2 a can. I'll look up more when I get a chance but those ones we rely on a lot.
I wanted to try the Canidae brand foods, thanks for that suggestion. I think some of the ingredients had kind of threw me off from one of their other brands but maybe that particular formulation is better.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I worry about that too with my guys. But figure trout is fresh water, so that should be ok. And salmon is fresh water half the time, right? :wink:

If you find ones that you're sure she likes, then have you though about ordering on-line by the case? It's usually less expensive. That's what several of us do. 'course, depends on where you live. Many of us use Chewy.com if you're in the U.S.
Yeah, I order his current food online to save some $. Just would like the convience of running into the store to grab him something and knowing what he can and cant eat, and that way I don't have to always get him 12 of one flavor.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will tell you that in my area, it is VERY hard to walk into a pet store and find many options without chicken that I don't spend $2 to $4 a can for :( I have to pretty much rely on chewy.com or I couldn't afford to feed one cat, let alone two! Chicken allergies (plus grain intolerance) is no fun for us! I have to drive 45 minutes away to a specialty pet store to get some if I am in a pinch, or else I have basically have very few options at PetSmart (also 45 minutes away for me!) and usually can't get away with less than $3 a can.

I can't go to Walmart, etc and get anything :/

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I went through and looked and found these options for larger cans with NO chicken. Prices are as of today on Chewy.com. Per oz, these options are NOT always cheaper than comparable brands with a 5.5 oz can size.

Hound & Gatos Rabbit Recipe (13 oz can) $3.73 a can:
Rabbit, Quail, Duck, Turkey, Pork, Duck Broth, Lamb, Lamb Broth, Duck Liver, Agar-Agar, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Rabbit Formula (dog 13 oz can) $3.45/can:
Rabbit, Pork Liver, Water, Ground Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Montmorillonite Clay, Peas, Carrots, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

Instinct by Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Diet Rabbit Formula (dog 13 oz can $4/can

Rabbit, Water, Rabbit Liver, Peas, Montmorillonite Clay, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Taurine.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Grain-Free Venison Formula (dog 13 oz can) $4.68/can
Venison, Pork Liver, Water, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Grain-Free Duck Formula (dog 13 oz can) $2.20/can
Duck, Turkey Liver, Water, Ground Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Montmorillonite Clay, Peas, Potassium Chloride, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Diet Duck Formula $4.68/can
Duck, Duck Broth, Peas, Montmorillonite Clay, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Salt, Taurine.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Lamb Formula (dog 13 oz can) $4.40/can
Lamb, Lamb Broth, Pork Liver, Turkey, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Ground Flaxseed, Carrots, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Grain-Free Beef Formula (dog 13 oz can) $3.23/can
Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Broth, Tricalcium Phosphate, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Calcium Carbonate, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Lotus Pork Pate (12.5 oz) $3.29/can
Pork, Pork Broth, Pork Liver, White Fish, Peas, Natural Flavor, Agar-Agar, Clams, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Eggs, Asparagus, New Zealand Green Mussel, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Kelp, Calcium Sulfate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Betaine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Lotus Duck Pate (12.5 oz) $3.29/can
Duck, Duck Broth, Pork Liver, White Fish, Peas, Natural Flavor, Agar-Agar, Tricalcium Phosphate, Clams, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Eggs, Asparagus, New Zealand Green Mussel, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Kelp, Calcium Sulfate, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Betaine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Grain-Free Salmon Formula (dog 13 oz can) $2.62/can
Salmon, Salmon Broth, Pork Liver, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Potassium Chloride, Carrots, Salt, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Tricalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Sea Salmon & Mackerel Formula 13 oz, $2.29/can
Salmon, Sardines, Fish Broth, Mackerel, Canola Oil, Sweet Potatoes, Sun-cured Alfalfa, Carrageenan, Choline Chloride, Guar Gum, Taurine, Salt, Dried Kelp, Minerals (Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid).

Last edited:

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will tell you that in my area, it is VERY hard to walk into a pet store and find many options without chicken that I don't spend $2 to $4 a can for :( I have to pretty much rely on chewy.com or I couldn't afford to feed one cat, let alone two! Chicken allergies (plus grain intolerance) is no fun for us! I have to drive 45 minutes away to a specialty pet store to get some if I am in a pinch, or else I have basically have very few options at PetSmart (also 45 minutes away for me!) and usually can't get away with less than $3 a can.

I can't go to Walmart, etc and get anything :/
Luckily we have some local store that seem to be a little cheaper or at least comparable to places like walmart. Thats where I get the little cans of fancy feast. Hes not grain intolerant to my knowledge (Ive always fed grain free), and he seemed to do okay on the royal canin food they were feeding him at the shelter, but he did have issues with diarrhea. So it may be a double whammy like you've got. The local pet store I think is gonna turn out cheaper for me after shipping/tax, I'll have to compare further.

Thanks for that price comparison! I think around $2.30 would be doable for me, its just hard trying to budget when my income is kind of random month to month (Im a student working part time).
I just want him to have options other than the wellness in case he stops liking it or develops another allergy or something.

Thanks again :) Youve been super helpful!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lotus Pork Pate Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
This is the closest I found. I believe I checked those Blue buffalo recommendations above and they have chicken in them even though they are supposed to be ocean varieties. The other Lotus flavors all have "chicken liver flavor" so I don't know if they have derived from any part of the chicken or how they got the "flavor", but the pork recipe is the only one that doesn't. But, still, it's over $3 a can.
It's interesting trying to fine-tooth these recipes. You'd think if it was fish on the front, there wouldn't be chicken on the back, but noooooo.
Cans were not an affordable option for us long term feeding 2 adult males. We end up making homemade food with raw rabbit and turkey. The cans I was using were 5.5 oz and $2.71 per.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might look into EarthBorn; I know their Monterey Medley & Harbor Harvest cans are chicken & grain-free. Weruva's "Cats in the Kitchen" line has multiple chicken-free alternatives, and are cheaper than some of their other canned lines. Fussie Cat's Premium line (not the "Super-Premium") is along the same price point, has multiple chicken-free varieties, and, I think, is grain-free.

I struggled with this badly. My cat has an allergy, I think, to a mineral or additive, and throws up ALL canned food, and all but three varieties of kibble out of the many, many varieties he's tried. Frustrating and expensive, to say the least.

Last edited:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to find some without fish. I found a lot of chewy but had a hard time finding them in a 12 oz can
This is all I could find

Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Real Turkey Pate Recipe Canned Cat Food
Whole Earth Farms Turkey in a 12.7 oz can

Oh but I see he doesn't like turkey...well then I couldn't find anything, sorry! At least not in a 12 oz can. Which really doesn't cost any less per oz then the 5.5 oz cans, so I would still consider maybe some of those if I were you, doesn't cost any different.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to find some without fish. I found a lot of chewy but had a hard time finding them in a 12 oz can
This is all I could find

Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Real Turkey Pate Recipe Canned Cat Food
Whole Earth Farms Turkey in a 12.7 oz can

Oh but I see he doesn't like turkey...well then I couldn't find anything, sorry! At least not in a 12 oz can. Which really doesn't cost any less per oz then the 5.5 oz cans, so I would still consider maybe some of those if I were you, doesn't cost any different.
Yeah the only poultry he likes is duck; he'll eat turkey but he gives me this look the whole time thats just pure disgust lol

Well, in the long run 12.5 oz cans are more cost effective for me because they last me two days, plus I don't have to try and square off a little 5.5 oz can. He eats three small meals per day and I just feel like 5.5 oz isn't enough for him spread out like that. He seems more full getting about 6, maybe a little more.

I pick him up 5.5 oz cans seperately from the store sometimes, just dont want a whole case

Thanks for the suggestion though!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy has some more, but they all have fish, and I don't know how you feel about that. I don't have a problem feeding some fish, but others may not, so

I just did a search of the protein I wanted then clicked on "cat" then "wet food" and listed them by price, and then any can that said "more options available" could come in a bigger can, so that is how I quickly searched chewy.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chewy has some more, but they all have fish, and I don't know how you feel about that. I don't have a problem feeding some fish, but others may not, so

I just did a search of the protein I wanted then clicked on "cat" then "wet food" and listed them by price, and then any can that said "more options available" could come in a bigger can, so that is how I quickly searched chewy.
Okay, thanks! I don't really have a problem with fish; hard enough finding food without chicken let alone without fish too lol Probably gonna have to compromise a bit there

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try searching searching petflow.com. Their prices are usually competitive with chewy but I'm not as familiar searching that site.