Affordable and High quality

Yarnicorn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been noodling around what brand(s) to best feed our kitties. We'd like to feed primarily wet but obviously that is more expensive than dry.

What brands do you find that converge with affordability but also quality? Want to do the best for our kitties but also don't want to go bankrupt 😬

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In Sweden ; Coop own brand of dry is fairly cheap and good quality.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is a tough question because not all people agree on what is 'high quality', and I am sure there is a bit of leeway on what is considered affordable. For example, some folks don't want meat by products in their cats' food, others are fine with it. There are fillers that people may consider 'worthless' while others are OK with some of them.

Maybe something like these web sites would help get you started (see links below)? You can compare ingredients, availability, and price to see if there are things that strike you as favorable or not.
10 Best Cat Foods in 2023: Lab Tested - Cats.com
13 Best Cat Foods of 2023 (Reviewed by Veterinarians) - Excited Cats
Best Cat Food 2023 - Forbes Vetted

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been noodling around what brand(s) to best feed our kitties. We'd like to feed primarily wet but obviously that is more expensive than dry.

What brands do you find that converge with affordability but also quality? Want to do the best for our kitties but also don't want to go bankrupt 😬
My cat Peaches throws up expensive high quality cat food. She eats fancy feast classics turkey& giblets and nulo minced
By products are what a cat eats in the wild. Gums are a thickener. There is no real proof that they are dangerous for cats.
I like ff because it's high fiber,low carb,high protein

Last edited:

Comicsbooksandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had success with Tiki Cat’s After Dark line but have mixed it with Ziwi Peak and some Orijen to keep her interested; she was getting bored with just chicken in the After Dark entrees.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally I stick with the "cheaper" brands as they don't contain peas or legumes.

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

the BEST food to feed your cats is one they'll eat (I know sounds obvious right?) that also gives you the affordability to save for yearly and future vet needs and perhaps afford pet insurance until your vet tells you otherwise.

It's also good if you can mix up brands and proteins to help keep them eating if there's any shortages. We do Purina, Iams perfect portions, Wureva, sometimes AppleCat and we've tried the odd can of a few others too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy anything with unspecified "mystery meat" in it, meat should never be a mystery.

If you look at store brands they are often more affordable and some are just as good as the higher end ones.