Aerokat training question

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of getting Twyla accustomed to the Aerokat so she can transition to inhaled steroids. We have been at it for about 10 days/three sessions a day and she will tolerate me holding the mask on her face for a second or two. She will stick her face in to get a treat and even lick the mask if there is tuna juice on it. However, we seem stuck at this step. Training time is the only time she gets treats. Should I stay with training with just the mask until we get up to about ten seconds or can I add in the tube before we get to that point?

How long did it take to train your cat? I keep reading or watching videos where people have trained their cat in two weeks and we are nowhere near that pace.

Any helpful tricks or tips? Twyla is very strong willed and a bit of a squirmy worm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aerocat Training
Search Results for Query: aerokat

Hopefully there is something in here that might help.
I had already done a search and read most of the threads but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Was just hoping to hear some anecdotal reports on how long it took or if anyone had a trick that really helped. For example, one trick I learned was to put the mask in a baggy with some loose catnip for a day or two before starting to train.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you look at the training video on the AeroKat website? I'm guessing you did, but just in case, here is the link: Teach Any Cat AeroKat* Chamber | Trudell Animal Health
Yes, I’ve watched that, too. It makes it look easier than it is turning out to be! She is just very resistant to having it on her face for any length of time. By contrast, her little brother will let me put it on his face for five seconds with zero training and no reward! She really can’t take oral steroids anymore so it’s important that I succeed in getting her acclimated.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m going to provide progress updates on this thread, both to track progress and to help others who might have questions about this in the future.

Today is one day shy of two solid weeks of training three times a day. Three days ago I went ahead and attached the chamber to the mask and Twyla was still fine with eating out of the mask when the Aerokat was on the floor. She was still squirmy and turning her face away whenever I tried to put it on her face for more than a second. Yesterday I started trying different ways to gently restrain her as I put the mask on her face. What is working best is to kneel on the floor and place her between my legs. I then gently hold her head with one hand while putting the mask on with the other. While she doesn’t love it, she doesn’t fight too much. I put a stinky treat in the mask before putting it on her face and then give it to her as soon as the mask is removed. With this method I have been able to keep the mask intact for 3 to 5 seconds several times now, though the placement might not be optimal. We do this 3 or 4 times 3 times a day. I need to work on finding the right pressure as the mask needs to fit snugly but doesn‘t need to be pressed hard onto the face. Hopefully we will be able to build up to 10 to 15 seconds over the next couple of weeks and then start to introduce the inhaled steroid when it arrives from pharmstore.com. It helps that she is very food motivated.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have good sessions and not so good sessions, depending on her mood. She has been holding her breath when I put the mask on. Last night I was able to hold it to her face for about 8 seconds and finally she breathed and moved the flapper. First time! This morning she was in a mood and barely let me place the mask at all.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have good sessions and not so good sessions, depending on her mood. She has been holding her breath when I put the mask on. Last night I was able to hold it to her face for about 8 seconds and finally she breathed and moved the flapper. First time! This morning she was in a mood and barely let me place the mask at all.
Cats! Gotta love 'em!

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing all the right things! All in all, I'd say it probably took us between 4 and 6 weeks to get our guy comfy for 10ish breaths. Now, five months later, he puffs like a champ twice a day.

We similarly felt sometimes during the training like we took some steps forward and some steps back , depending on the day. I hope it's encouraging to know that we did get there eventually!

Does your kitty eat wet food? It's a bit messy, but we packed wet food into the mask and had him eat it out of there occasionally. It would keep his nose in the mask for much longer than a treat or two.

The biggest thing is not to rush it - you don't want to create fear. It sounds like you're approaching it well, so I'd say stay the course. Continue to gradually keep it on for longer, with gentle restraint and no fear for the kitty, and you'll get there.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing all the right things! All in all, I'd say it probably took us between 4 and 6 weeks to get our guy comfy for 10ish breaths. Now, five months later, he puffs like a champ twice a day.

We similarly felt sometimes during the training like we took some steps forward and some steps back , depending on the day. I hope it's encouraging to know that we did get there eventually!

Does your kitty eat wet food? It's a bit messy, but we packed wet food into the mask and had him eat it out of there occasionally. It would keep his nose in the mask for much longer than a treat or two.

The biggest thing is not to rush it - you don't want to create fear. It sounds like you're approaching it well, so I'd say stay the course. Continue to gradually keep it on for longer, with gentle restraint and no fear for the kitty, and you'll get there.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I will definitely try the wet food in the mask trick. I have backed off on gentle restraint the past couple of days because she was actively resisting when I tried to put the mask on her face and we have just been eating treats out of the mask and licking it, which goes fine. But it definitely feels like a step back from being able to tolerate the mask for a few seconds.

I do have a question about which size mask to use - she is more agreeable to the use of the smaller mask but I'm not sure the coverage is enough (it covers her nose but doesn't cover the edges of her mouth). Could that impact whether or not her breath moves the flapper? The larger one touches her whiskers and she seems more resistant to that.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fair enough re: gentle restraint - the big thing early on is to try as much as possible to normalize the process and make it a non-scary thing. It can be frustrating and feel like it is taking forever, but I promise it's worth it!

I'm unfortunately not sure re: mask size, as our guy always preferred the larger one that covers his entire mouth/nose with some space to share.

If you haven't yet, you could also ask at [email][email protected][/email] | Topics - it's not quite as active as here but folks there all are giving their kitties inhaled meds, so they may have more tips and tricks for you :).

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We’ve been in a bit of a holding pattern this week, focusing on Twyla voluntarily placing her face in the mask. This step is going pretty well - if there is a treat in the mask she will place her face all the way in and lick the inside to get the treat out. She will cautiously sniff the inside with nothing in it. Going to start placing the mask with gentle restraint again and immediately rewarding with her special treat. Wish me luck we make progress on this step!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we are making progress! Both Twyla and Hooper (my other cat) know when it’s treat time and sit and wait by the pantry door. Tonight Twyla ate her first treat out of the mask and then I gently placed her between my legs and placed the mask. We got in five breaths and then I stopped before she started to squirm and rewarded her immediately. I had switched to the larger mask and she seems more comfortable with that.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Continuing to make good progress. Though she still gets resistant at times she has been staying still for up to eight breaths on a fairly regular basis. I have to put my chin on the top of her head to keep her from squirming, but she is good at submitting in that position. Her flixotide has arrived so I am going to attach it to the Aerokat while training and get her used to that and then work up to shaking and discharging the med. She will walk away when she sees I am holding the inhaler but comes right back when I open up the treat package!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are really doing a good job! Your kitties have a great relationship with you and are willing to work with you on this.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Updating on where we’re at with the Aerokat. Twyla is getting just one puff a day as her asthma is very mild and only apparent a few times a year when she has coughing episodes. I do have to pick her up and then gently restrain her but she gets in 12-15 breaths each time. She tolerates the restraint, could never get her to voluntarily hold still with the mouthpiece. Have been dosing consistently for about a month. Between treating her asthma and losing over a pound (vet’s orders) she has been feeling great and is more playful and active.

I will up her dosage if warranted, but things are going good for now!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is great news! Thank you for letting us know and I hope that Twyla continues to improve.