Advise On 3 Week Old Kitten

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get the pasteurized goats milk? My kittens were about 3.5 weeks when my supply of raw went dry. I asked my vet and he said pasteurized is fine. Not as good as raw, but they did well on it.

I also had one of those mesh playpens, they are wonderful. But turn it upside down so the mesh roof is on the bottom. One of my kittens would crawl out of the bottom every night when it was the other way. Kittens are escape artists.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you get the pasteurized goats milk? My kittens were about 3.5 weeks when my supply of raw went dry. I asked my vet and he said pasteurized is fine. Not as good as raw, but they did well on it.

I also had one of those mesh playpens, they are wonderful. But turn it upside down so the mesh roof is on the bottom. One of my kittens would crawl out of the bottom every night when it was the other way. Kittens are escape artists.
Hi Kashmir!
No i went with kitten milk instead, but perhaps i will give pasteurized goats milk a go when we run out. Thanks for the tip about inverting the play pen :) Did your kittens climb the sides of the pen? i was wondering if we should trim his nails to prevent him from getting stuck on the mesh.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten milk you have powdered KMR? Powdered is best, the liquid..not so much. I wouldn't recomend the liquid at all, actually. I use 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk.
Yes, they did climb out, but not until they were around 6-7 weeks old. I made sure they had plenty of toys in there to play with. Once they were spayed at 11 weeks, I let them run the house.
I waited until after spay only because their sister, whom I wasn't allowed to adopt (shelter already had a home for her) was a terror and it was easier when I only had the two to deal with.

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the kitten milk you have powdered KMR? Powdered is best, the liquid..not so much. I wouldn't recomend the liquid at all, actually. I use 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk.
Yes, they did climb out, but not until they were around 6-7 weeks old. I made sure they had plenty of toys in there to play with. Once they were spayed at 11 weeks, I let them run the house.
I waited until after spay only because their sister, whom I wasn't allowed to adopt (shelter already had a home for her) was a terror and it was easier when I only had the two to deal with.
Yup! its the powdered KMR, the instructions recommend a 5:1 water to formula ratio. Should i stick with that ratio when i get the goats milk?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk. They thrived on it. I also soaked the kibble in goats milk when they got older. This kitten is now over 20 lbs, but she is part Siberian.
She's the one in my avatar.
Samai 10 days.jpg

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bonito is growing so quickly, hes gaining about 15-20 grams a day. I was going through some pictures and i am really amazed at how much a kitten grows in just 5 days.

This pic was taken on the 19th at the vet. He was 400g here.

This is 5 days later at 485g eating from the same 'dish' but it looks so much smaller.

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all :)

Will attempt nail trimming tonight.
On a side note he is peeing like a champ but he didn't poop at all yesterday. (i started the pumpkin/oil/probiotics again) He no longer wants to pee when we stimulate him to go, he only wants to go in the box :blush:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Bonito is clearly a genius & knew just who to approach in that parking lot. Please continue to post photos, especially showing that sweet face.

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His eyesight are now developed enough that he can 'stalk' moving things. Last week he was mostly reacting to sound and light/shadow.

Sitting pretty

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for those, and especially for including a human for scale. In the first pic, I would have thought Bonito was much bigger than that.

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

So bonito has been with us 8 days now, and hes only pooped 4 times. He goes once every two days or so. He poops quite a lot when he does finally go, and form and colour seem normal. His appetite is good and in comparison to his infrequent poop he pees quite a lot, maybe 5 times a day. Is this cause for concern?

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's good to know, thanks for the quick reply Kieka.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
How is his weight? Are you weighing him daily?

Bonito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is his weight? Are you weighing him daily?
Hi Ileen,
Yup! we do weigh him daily, hes gaining about 15-20 grams a day. He was 410g when we found him last Wednesday, and hes at 572g today