Advise for feral rescue cats

frankymycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This summer I adopted two feral rescue kittens.  They were kept in the bathroom but got let out sooner than intended.  So I have been feeding them three times a day.  The boy kitten he comes when I call, meows and sort of bows down and rolls in the grass.  He is the cutest gray tabby, I absolutely love him he comes to my door step and meows.  When I have the window open and put food out he will jump in the window and come inside he is growing but I can't pat him much.  He is just real shy.  The girl is more feral, she does not meow but I see and feed her every day.  They are good kittens about ten months old but I feel so guilty they are not inside.  But as they are not really domestic do I catch them and lock them in a cat room or do I let them live outside and feral type cats.  They came from the acc on the "kill list" and they are scarred.  But they come when I call them just not keen on me touching them.  It is better to catch them and bring them in or let them live outside.  I just feel guilty.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have these two different possibilities yes. What you do depends on what you can and wish.

As they are still young, it should be fairly easy to make them inside only, happy pet cats.  Or possibly, mainly inside, allowed to come out sometimes.

HOW do you do it, there are a lot of treads and advices about it.

If they wont come voluntarily inside, you can try to catch them wrapping them in a thick towel (or throw this towel over them).

If you cant, use a human trap of some sort.

Dont chase them catch as catch can. - This scares them and makes you an enemy... besides, you can get really scratched.

So. My / our recommendation is you take them inside and foster them into home kitties. To have as your own or try to find them good adoption homes.

If you cant or dont want - you CAN organize their lives as your outside kitties. It is feasible it too, although more dangerous for them, of course..

(ARE they neutered?  If not, this should be your priority, esp if they are still outside).

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankymycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes spayed female, neutered male.

frankymycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The boy comes in for food.  The girl is more scarred about coming in.  I have had cats for 30 years, I live on an Island that is pretty safe for pets.  I would love to make them house cats, I have a house cat that is the best glued to me purful I would love them to be on my couch as well.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!!!! I absolutely encourage you to take them back indoors. The male kitty is already making HUGE progress with you. It will be a very rewarding process for you. Just know that it will take TIME, much time. The best way to do this is to make sure you have a room to confine them during their socialization process. With no hiding places that you cannot easily reach them. I would also recommend that when you do trap them to take them straight away to the vet for shots, de-wormings, flea protection, and testing for FeLK/FIV. IF they already have had all of this done, then no need to do again. :) Please let us know if you have any more questions and keep updating! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

This article will help guide you as well. http://www.catnipchronicles.com/may2012/laurie.htm

frankymycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are up to date on everything.  I brought the boy in.  He came in for food and I closed the door but now he is under the bed and I feel terribly.  I am so afraid he will never forgive me.  These cats were in a shelter for a while before I had them and they had no luck taming them so I am so afraid.  I had taken them because the gal runing the shelter said they would not get adopted.  I absolutely love these kittens I just want to smuther them with kisses.  But what is best for them.  I have car port they hang in and forest a relatively safe area for outside cats.  I would much rather them be house cats in and out as they like but trying to determine what is best for them.  Seems like pros and cons to both.  Any wisdom greatly appreciated.  

PS I have had them since June and they have stuck around relate me as the food lady and I interact with them everyday just not petting and cuddling which I love so much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His behavior in this situation is pretty normal.  You did right. It is much easier to intensive foster them inside than outside.

What you shall do now, is the next phase, ie reading intensively on how to do it.

There are lotsa of marvellous tread about it. Some are sticky. There are also articles "outside" when you come to the site.

One step you could spare yourself is this "under bed" thing.  Ie prepared a "legal" hideout, like a cat tent, or side-turned cardboard box, with two entrances...  Which would be his safe place, where you normally dont go to - but can go to, if necessary...

And the bed you  could low down, lay it on the floor.

You can still prepare this place.  He perhaps take it as alternative to the under the bed-place, as it will be more cosy..    :)

Anyway, it doesnt matter very much. Most intaken shy´s do hide under the bed... And yet, the fostering works awesome.

You know the two proverbs "crises are the possibility of develpment" and "the difficulty which doesnt kills you, but you overcome it, it strenghes you".  He is in the situation now.

Help him overcome it. And you both will be strongher and MUCH richer.

Later on, with this experience with him, you will surely manage with the more shy girl too.

Keep us posted!

Read on, good luck!