Advise for Cat with Cerebellar hypoplasia

qgibson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

My husband and I adopted our cat Holly when she was 5-6 months old in 2019 (3 years ago). Her cerebellar hypoplasia its not mild but its not severe (she doesnt need help eating or going to the bathroom) Im hoping someone can offer some advise on how we can help our girl be as comfortable and feel as safe as possible or if the way she is is just her personality. I worry she doesnt feel as safe with us as she should, we always been very patient with her and give her space, we never force our love on her unless she wants it. When we approach her or if shes close to us we always have to make very slow movements or walk slowly because if we dont she panics and runs away, she spends most of the time under the bed or under a couch. im not sure if her timidness will get better with time and if it never gets better then thats okay too. We just want her to know that shes safe and that she doesnt have to feel like she needs to be scared. I just hope someone can offer any ideas on how we can help her feel 100% comfortable or if anyone else has a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia who is like this as well.

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello
Let me post a couple of articles with a little information;

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Special Needs Cats: Cerebellar Hypoplasia – TheCatSite Articles

Another source of information might be Kitten Rescue Sanctuary in Los Angeles, California. They have a webcam focused on their severe CH kitties ( this is streaming on explore .org) one of which is particularly cranky, and additionally they have several younger cats that are less severe. The daily care is amazing 💞🤩.

What I'm thinking is that you could contact them and ask, for example, if classical harp music is of any value for an easily stressed CH cat. Since the effect is mostly on their ability to move and the other parts of their brains are functioning relatively normally, I would believe yes :)

Last edited: