advise about food

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I took the kitties ti the vet a couple of weeks ago, and gave them medicated food for their diarrea and puke problem. Now they recovered well but I'm afraid that if I end the medicated food they will start all over again being ill. The poo is fairly solid now, and haven't found any puke for approx 10 days now. forget to tell they were on antibiotics for 1 week too. If necessary I will continue on the medicated food, but otherwise I will change food cos it's very expensive one.
Another question is how much food (dried) do I have to give them, I mean the right ammount for breakfast lunch and dinner or whatsoever. They are 7 months old. The vet told me to just let the bowl full all day, because they were a bit underweight for their age, but they blossomes allright now, they weigh more now.
thank you

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xerr

Hi, I took the kitties ti the vet a couple of weeks ago, and gave them medicated food for their diarrea and puke problem. Now they recovered well but I'm afraid that if I end the medicated food they will start all over again being ill. The poo is fairly solid now, and haven't found any puke for approx 10 days now. forget to tell they were on antibiotics for 1 week too. If necessary I will continue on the medicated food, but otherwise I will change food cos it's very expensive one.
Another question is how much food (dried) do I have to give them, I mean the right ammount for breakfast lunch and dinner or whatsoever. They are 7 months old. The vet told me to just let the bowl full all day, because they were a bit underweight for their age, but they blossomes allright now, they weigh more now.
thank you
I advise this with all RX food s ... TALK with YOUR VET .... The bag of food should have some guidelines but the other issues should be addressed with your vet

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Second that opinion. Call the vet and ask. IF they do not need to remain on the special diet, when you reintroduce "regular" food, do it slowly. Mix in like 1/4 regular food to special diet food, and slowly increase the percentage of regular food to special food so that after like a week you're up to all regular food. Changing food rapidly almost always causes diarrhea.

Also, most cats are able to "free feed." This means you just leave the dry food out for them to eat when they want to. In the wild, cats eat many small meals a day, so their digestive systems are set up to handle food this way - little bits lots of times a day. The easiest way to accomplish this is to leave the dry food out for them to feed on. Unless you have lazy kitties, or kitties that are just in love with food, getting too heavy usually isn't a problem - certainly not when they're young and growing.

We let our cats free feed on dry food. Just make sure you wash the bowls every couple of days. We also give them "dinner" - one meal of wet food a day that we call them for sometime in the evening.