Advice with cat introductions!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
linawaary,

Great. I am so glad Charlie is getting a bit more comfortable. You are building his confidence, I think the play is helping. It is also helping that Jasmin is away for now. This is good. Not a problem if you can't block off the bed. You are making it so that he doesn't want to go under the bed. That is what is important.

We have to make sure Charlie is eating enough and drinking enough. Keep monitoring the intake. Moving food can be a bit disruptive so it is normal. Can you play with Charlie outside Jasmin's door and give treats or food after that play?

I think the biting of the shirt is just play, probably is. But it could be aggression. Hard to tell without seeing it. But I am guessing she saw something to play with and did. That is a good thing if it is play. Keep an eye on the behavior. If you do see that you did the right thing by distracting her and either playing with her or giving her a treat, anything to distract and to associate the scent with good stuff.

You are doing all the right things and doing really well. Just keep this up for a little while. We need Charlie to get his "mojo" back, his confidence. It sounds like he is back on the path. Just keep reinforcing this and let us know how things are going. We need to get Charlie back to his "old self". In a week or so depending on how things are going we'll want to do some sight with them. Just watch for how they behave. I would like to hear Charlie is interested in Jasmin in that room and vice versa. Just have to take it slow. 

You are going to get there, you are doing all the right things. Just be confident with them and give them love and keep up the great work. Keep us posted on how things are going. Good work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linawaary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update a bit on the situation!
I attempted switching Charlie and Jasmin for a night, allow Jasmin to explore the house without Charlie around and Charlie get used to her scent. Each one seemed upset and sat outside of the door wanting back in/out so that was a flop haha So I just switched them back into their safe elements

Jasmin has become so comfortable with me! So proud of her! She sleeps in my bed when I am not home. When I am home she follows me everywhere. When I am sleeping she meows while sitting next to me in bed until I wake up and pet her! I'm surprised she opened up so fast (I mean 2 weeks isn't so fast) because she was under socialized and previous owners said she wouldn't come out much.

Still have the two separated, thinking about cracking the door open a bit to see what happens! 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.

Jasmin loves you. And you love her. Wonderful. She sounds like she is no longer under socialized!!  She went through so much but love has gotten her to be a well rounded normal cat. She sounds like she hit the jackpot!!

You are making progress, you are getting Jasmin confident. We have to get Charlie as confident as well. Keep up the program, feeding, play, scent swapping etc. Keep it up a few days before them seeing each other. We don't want a setback. Just take it slowly, you are on the right path. Once they realize neither one is a threat and they are confident then things should go well, the hissing and chasing will happen less and then they'll settle in.

Thank you SO MUCH for doing what you are doing. Jasmin is a great cat, she just need a great family. Thank you so much for not giving up on her. You are the best!!