Advice - urinary blockage recovery

YULGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, my buddy Felix suffered symptoms of FIC on Dec 7th. Rushed him to the vet bc he uncharacteristically peed outside the litter box. The vet then informed me about FIC (I swear I had a male cat for 17 years before Felix and never heard of FIC! Feel so naive now). Anyway was sent home with meds (gabapentin and Buoreborphine) by Dec 10th he had a blockage 😖🙁 rushed him to the vet and recovered very well. Was released Dec 12th. Since then every day is better. He went 1 week without squatting or trying to pee out of the litter box. Then suddenly 12/19 starts squatting again. Called the vet. Got more gabapentin and a round of Prazosin. He is on a strict urinary prescription diet since 12/10, making sure he is hydrated and even supplementing with Purina hydra care. Overall he is mostly back to himself. Playing with his bestie Bianca (they are bonded and love chasing each other and cuddling), his appetite is getting better etc… BUT… once a day mostly in the afternoon he squats and runs to the litter like 3 times in an hour. And then. He settles down and is normal.
So my question is this… how long is this going to go on? We are 9 days since his ER/catherization. He is peeing bigger and bigger pees every day but still seems to have episodes once a day of inflammation/irritation. Is this normal? What is the normal recovery time?
Any advice or past experience is welcome!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did your vet do a scan or urinalysis to see if he had stones/debris in his bladder. There are 2 types of stones, struvite which can be disolved by putting your cat on prescription food and oxalate stones which require an operation to be removed. As your vet has put your cat on prescription food it sounds like they are struvite but I would still check. Is your vet doing a follow up check to make sure they are gone?.
Have a look at Cornsilk and D Mannose, both are a natural product so wont interfere with any other medications your cat is on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YULGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your vet do a scan or urinalysis to see if he had stones/debris in his bladder. There are 2 types of stones, struvite which can be disolved by putting your cat on prescription food and oxalate stones which require an operation to be removed. As your vet has put your cat on prescription food it sounds like they are struvite but I would still check. Is your vet doing a follow up check to make sure they are gone?.
Have a look at Cornsilk and D Mannose, both are a natural product so wont interfere with any other medications your cat is on.
Hi! Yes structure crystals. Prescription food he is on but not loving. That’s ok we will get there. He has no choice ☺ Will look into corn silk and D mannose. Thanks!