Advice regarding being new to kittens.

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 9 week kittens, a boy (Coco) and a girl (Mimi) they are siblings. They come from a private home that had a spaniel, 2 older children and they owned both mum and dad. They have been here in their forever home for 10 days and had their 1st vaccinations 2 days ago. They weight 1.12kg and have been fleaed and wormed, they are energetic, eat well and are healthy.
We have never owned cats before, we would like to help to ensure that they grow into sociable confident happy cats. The boy is the boldest of the 2 and he seems to bound back quicker if he gets spooked and is always the first to investigate new things. The girl is much more cautious and runs up to you less. He asks for food, rubs up against your leg, lets you rub his belly. She is not so keen.
I wanted to know what are the kind of things I should be doing to help ensure she is ok with people and easy to handle when she is all grown up. We are realistic in that we get she may not ever want to be over fussed etc, but we don want to be able to clip her claws, pick her up and have her trust us.
Any advice would be welcomed. We play with both kittens everyday.
Also since they had their injections she is sleeping on us much less and seems a little less inclined to receive the odd fuss/affection.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my kittens around 8 weeks of age and they were completely unsocial. They lived in a barn with Mom and two other siblings. When we first got them, they both hid all day every day. One would even hiss at us. At least you have one that already likes you. :lol: I would say just give it time for the girl. Use fishing pole toys to interact with her at a safe distance so she doesn't get freaked out. She will eventually learn that you are the one feeding them and won't hurt them. She is probably still hesitant because of the new surroundings and the vet visit. I experienced that as well as having to give both kittens two baths within the first week of having them. One was a poop in the carrier that both stepped/laid in. The other was due to thinking they had fleas (which luckily they didn't).

Neither one of my recently deceased cats liked being held so it may end up being like that for yours. Unfortunately, it's up to them how they choose to interact with us. Just don't push it beyond her comfort level. If she remains skittish, you may have to "kitty burrito" her for nail clippings. Provide them both with several scratching posts which will keep nail growth down to minimize the need for clippings often.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experiences females are always more cautious and standoffish. It also may be her personality. Boys seem to be more laid back and lovey, they both will be less affectionate after they get older but the boy may still crave your attention. Kittens are a whirlwind of activity. Then sleep just as hard. Don't think it will always be this hectic, they will settle down immensely once they are grown up. the more you interact with them, offer comfort, play, and food, the more confident and outgoing they will be. Don't force the little girl to do anything she doesn't want to, like being held, etc., they are not dogs that respect an alpha and don't respond to physical punishment and doing things against their will. It just makes them sneaky and afraid of you. She'll take many cues from her brother, so he may teach her how to be more affectionate.
Vaccinations can cause lethargy, fevers, loss of appetite, and generally not feeling well. This is all normal, just like some people feel the same way. I had one cat that slept almost nonstop for two-three days after receiving his. Bring it up to the vet, they can adjust things. maybe giving a different brand or spacing them out. Bless you for giving them a loving home. You will find you earn a cat's love but it is one of life's greatest treasures when you do!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experiences females are always more cautious and standoffish. It also may be her personality. Boys seem to be more laid back and lovey, they both will be less affectionate after they get older but the boy may still crave your attention. Kittens are a whirlwind of activity. Then sleep just as hard. Don't think it will always be this hectic, they will settle down immensely once they are grown up. the more you interact with them, offer comfort, play, and food, the more confident and outgoing they will be. Don't force the little girl to do anything she doesn't want to, like being held, etc., they are not dogs that respect an alpha and don't respond to physical punishment and doing things against their will. It just makes them sneaky and afraid of you. She'll take many cues from her brother, so he may teach her how to be more affectionate.
Vaccinations can cause lethargy, fevers, loss of appetite, and generally not feeling well. This is all normal, just like some people feel the same way. I had one cat that slept almost nonstop for two-three days after receiving his. Bring it up to the vet, they can adjust things. maybe giving a different brand or spacing them out. Bless you for giving them a loving home. You will find you earn a cat's love but it is one of life's greatest treasures when you do!
Hmm.. never thought about that but all the boys I've had over the years were the more affectionate ones over the girls. My Boone is definitely a love bug and craves his snuggles when I get up in the morning and when I get home from work.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That has been my experience too. That being said, my little female Mollie is the most affectionate cat we have ever had, so there are exceptions to the rule. She climbs up near your face whenever you let her and head butts and rubs all along your face and chin, for a long time! I have never had a cat do this. She purrs like a machine and craves to be up on your chest. She is also the shyest of our cats and hides for days when company comes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, It seems I am pretty much on the right track. I don't ever get them doing anything past their comfort levels. If it pet them and they move away I let them, on the whole I am staring to be able to tell if they are going to be receptive or not.
I have had dogs in the past but did alot of reading before deciding to get a cat and so do get that I can't treat them the same as dogs.
We (myself and my 12 year and 15 year old) have being playing with many fish rod type toys which they love, and everyone knows in the house to leave a sleeping cat be.
I pick them up confidently and securely when they get into something the shouldn't and just place them back down where its safe. although I have done good job at kitty proofing so the need is rare.
I think I am a bit nervous myself when it comes to things like claw clipping, or if they ever need any thing medical administered. eg, eye drops or looking at their teeth.

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To add, I dont have the same fear with a dog, as I know with my own dogs I could always restrain them firmly and they would just never bite me etc. I feel very unsure on whats acceptable for the cat. Like with my dog I knew she didn't like it but she would let me. I also know if would not damage any relationship I had with the dog but fear it might with a cat. Want to start out right so that I am predictable to them and they know they are safe and can trust me.
I have managed to clip 2 claws on my boy when he was dozing, but the girl woke immediately and withdraw her paw.

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its the same with many dogs, boys are well known for being more affectionate, but of course there are exceptions, all my boy dogs were more loving than my girls...however all my girl dogs appeared more intelligent!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh... even the happiest cat will get pissy at you once in a while for something you've done. You didn't pet them correctly. You didn't acknowledge them enough. You acknowledged them too much. :lol: Some cats are a "two person job" meaning one restrains the cat either by holding or scruffing while the other clips nails. Give it time and you will figure her out. Cats don't hold back on their feelings towards us by any means. If they love you, you will know it. If they plot your death nightly, you will know it. 🤣

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... even the happiest cat will get pissy at you once in a while for something you've done. You didn't pet them correctly. You didn't acknowledge them enough. You acknowledged them too much. :lol: Some cats are a "two person job" meaning one restrains the cat either by holding or scruffing while the other clips nails. Give it time and you will figure her out. Cats don't hold back on their feelings towards us by any means. If they love you, you will know it. If they plot your death nightly, you will know it. 🤣
Thank you , it is reassuring to hear all this from others that have cats.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had15year old cats and never clipped their claws. If you have cardboard scratchers or posts you will never have to.
I only had to clip one of my male's claws. For some reason it grew weird (really thick) and would curl into his pad if left alone.

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had15year old cats and never clipped their claws. If you have cardboard scratchers or posts you will never have to.
We have 4 scratch posts and 2 carboard scratcher but they prefer an old wicker chair that I have, they also tend to want ro scratch when they first wake but atm they tend to lie on thier side and stretch into the air. They don't seem to scratch much yet.
We have used a laser pointer and fishing rod toys on the posts to show them they are there. It worked once or twice so I guess we will persist. Also if I catch them trying to scratch on the wrong thing I just pick them up calmly and place them down near a post but they seem to completely forget about scratching by then, I assume this is because they are still young.