Advice Re: Pregnant Foster Cat

sarajaade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I'm a first time poster and although I've read the rules I hope I don't make any posting faux-paws (see what I did there?!)

I'm currently fostering a very pregnant foster cat. We don't have much info about her. We know that she and 3 other queens were taken on by my small town shelter because another smaller town shelter was overwhelmed. They're all strays so we don't know how far along they are. My queen Mariah has been with us for 47 days now and seems to be going into labor, and I've been researching her symptoms online but I've been getting conflicted information. I'm hoping you lovely people can give me advice and confirm that these are all normal, healthy signs of labor.

Last night (~18hrs ago) she began crying non-stop and grooming obsessively. She has mostly continued this, but has been sleeping multiple hours in between, which doesn't seem right if she's truly in labor. She's been playful and purring and running around, rolling on her back in our dirty laundry.

Last night she spent a good hour putting her bum in the air and making low meows, we noticed clear discharge as well. After that hour she stopped until about a couple hours ago, once again she put her bum in the air a few times before going off to nap, which she's still doing peacefully.

This time though we noticed a little bit of bloody discharge- not a lot, just enough to be noticeable, not really bright or dark red though, so watered down.

Is it normal for her to take breaks in her labor like this? We would assume she's due now, as we've had her 47 days and when we got her she was noticeably pregnant. I may be overreacting but I'd appreciate advice/reassurance as I don't want to miss any red flags and put her in jeopardy.

Thanks in advance if anyone replies :)

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sure sounds like she's in labour from my past experience with having a queen in labour I'd say she's very close, it maybe a sack that you seen? Was it like a brownish bubble my little girl went from sack being visibale to disappearing to then re appearing around 18 hours so cats do go through stages of labour slowly

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its apparently nearing. This 18 hours before is prob some sort of prelabor. Perhaps even the Braxton Hicks contractions...

The exact hour is seldom easy to know, even if you know exactly when she mated. The luck is, cats manage a too long pregnancy better than humans, as a rule at least... There are always exceptions once a year. its too shorts pregnancies whom are dangerous - kittens dont manage well being premature.

Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less big? How long have you felt the kittens move? When she drops they are more difficult to notice the moving...

Any way, as long she is OK no real troubles, its just to observe, and wait and see. The prelabor may be quite long, its active labor phase shall not be long, we dont want long fruitless active pushing phase. Max 1 hour. Max.