Advice please

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right i know that i have a fair few of you guys on facebook.. anyhows im after some advice, well as most may know sparkle broke her leg back in january? well now shes 100% better and both my girls are indoor only now :)

the thing is yes we've blocked off the cat flap, but because sparkle knows thats where she used to get out, she's constantly pawing at it, just wondering will my thoughts be right and she'll grow out of it? or does she need a helping hand lol

any advice appreciated thanks :)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look to replace the door if possible as I would worry she may be able to get her nail or something stuck. 

If thats not going to happen maybe a cat repellent sprayed on or some bitterant on door.  I actually have a ex pen around my front door(on the inside-there is a 4x4 section and the panels are 4 high-that stops him but not some of my other determined cats of something better is on the other side) as I have a cat who darts and then runs back and forth 3 houses over.  I have 2 cats who are allowed in and out at will(ex feral and a cat I found at a few years old) he watches them and takes off:(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh theres no way what so ever she can get nails caught or get out at all. she's just being silly as she doesn't understand why shes gone from being in and outdoor to indoor only. i think its just going to take time. i am keeping her nails trimmed as she wont be doing the concrete work outside either so they wont be too sharp or anything like that aswell :) the new door thing, i dont think that could happen if i wanted as its a council property and they would need a legit reason to replace the door, and im movin soon hopefully

thankyou though

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't encourage her behavior by acknowledging her when she's pawing at the door, I think she will learn to stop scratching there. However, I know the instinct to go outside can be very strong when a cat is used to it for a long time, so it may take a while and she may go in spurts of trying to go out followed by periods of not caring.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thankyou for that, was another one of my thoughts. always nice to hear what other people think aswell though :)

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes hun, I agree with the idea to just ignore her when she does it and don't acknowledge it. Also, she may need a little more stimulation. Have lots of "play time" to keep her nice and occupied. Glad she's better!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah thats what i have been doing, i imagine shes bored :( thanks hun i am so glad shes all better too :)

Yes hun, I agree with the idea to just ignore her when she does it and don't acknowledge it. Also, she may need a little more stimulation. Have lots of "play time" to keep her nice and occupied. Glad she's better!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I am so happy Sparkle is better. I agree just ignore her, My feral boy Gus used to try and get out. He eventually got the idea he was now an indoor kitty.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its so hard to ignore her though, just now she jumped up top of the window and was hanging from it. worrying me, i know her legs healed and she landed on her feet but still scared me :(