Advice on which kittens to choose!

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm about to choose two kittens and I need some advice because I'm finding it really hard to decide which two based on personality.

There are 3 kittens available:

- A, who was the first in the litter to develop a personality, very brave/outgoing and the first time I went to visit spent the whole time climbing me and wanting to play

- B, hissed (once) the first time I met him but loves to play and the second time I saw him he has become much braver and more outgoing

- C, a sweet kitten who has so far slept the majority of the time I've seen him but is also very playful (when awake)

The first time I saw them at 4/5 weeks old I fell in love with B and C but after playing with them decided on A and C because I was worried that B had hissed at me and that was a sign that A had 'chosen me' (which the breeder and I at the time thought) and B had not. When I went back a week later, they were all more mobile and playful, B didn't hiss at me and eventually B and C fell asleep near me on the sofa. A was still the most bouncy of the group, very confident and playful but I don't think was overly attracted to me this time round, wanted to play more than cuddle.

Since then, I keep going back to photos/videos I took of little B and really think I've fallen for him and initially chose A just because he was the most assertive/pushiest. Does anyone have any advice? I have to make a solid decision the next time I go to see them (this weekend).

I really want to choose B and C but the breeder thinks A is the best choice because of his behaviour the first time I met him (although he was the only one really awake and playing then - the other 2 seem to be a little bit behind him in terms of development and activity levels). I know its my choice but these will be my first cats and I'm desperate to make the right decision as it will be one that I live with for the next 15-20 years!

I feel like I keep trying to justify why B would be a better fit for me than A and to me that says that my instincts are saying go for B...

I'm also slightly worried that A will be a very needy cat while C will be a very laid back cat and that getting 2 cats with similar personalities would work better? I'd prefer more relaxed cats as I work full time (which is why I am getting 2 kittens). Also, my neighbour has a very high maintenance (ie naughty/manipulative) bengal that A reminds me of, which I'd like to avoid if possible! Does the way you bring kittens up after they come home also play a big part in their personality or is it mostly developed before they leave the breeder? (pedigree so not leaving till 13/14 wks old) 

Sorry for the essay! Any advice over which combo sounds best and whether people think that A really did 'choose' me in the way that people are always describing (or whether he was just bored of being cooped up with his boring siblings and I was the new plaything) would be great!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice? Go with your instincts. It sounds like you are instinctually drawn to B and C. I would listen to what your gut is telling you and not anyone else's advice. Just listen to what your heart is telling you and try not to over analyze too much.
From your description it sounds like B and C compliment each other and would do well as a pair while A sounds independent enough to be ok without one of his litter mates.

Good luck with your decision and please send us photos of the lucky kittens [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When choosing a family member it is best to choose with your heart and chemistry.  All your struggle now is in your HEAD.  Let that go, lie around and play withthe kittens, and thoose the two you want the most.  Or else take all threee. 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of kitties are you getting?

I would go with B and C since you said they are more laid back and you wanted more laid back cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies :) I am completely overanalysing this I agree. I think that A was the best choice at 5 weeks old but my heart is pulling me towards B. (C is gorgeous and sleepy and just what I was looking for so luckily I'm just debating between the second choice!)

I think you're right that I should start afresh and see how I feel when I see them a final time and hope that the decision is easier. Sadly cost is stopping me taking all 3 :)

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Raina21 Maine coons so they should be fairly calm anyway but among the MCs I have met there are definitely some more and less shouty/demanding examples! :)

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Raina21 Maine coons so they should be fairly calm anyway but among the MCs I have met there are definitely some more and less shouty/demanding examples! :)
C crosseyed

Aww Mainecoons are definitely one of my top 2 favorite purebred cats :) (My favorite is the Norwegian Forest Cat) you should definitely post some pictures of the little cuties here in this thread :)

Last edited:

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love Norwegians too (your little guy is gorgeous! And funnily enough Tesla was on my list of possible names too) :) also they don't require as much grooming as MCs so I missed a trick there.

It was a toss up between the two breeds but I really like the slightly more chunky face of Maine coons. Don't worry, I'll post lots of photos once I've chosen my babies :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We will all be waiting to see them.  So glad you will be choosing with your heart and instincts rather than your head and analyzing.  I know you will make the right choice now!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love Norwegians too (your little guy is gorgeous! And funnily enough Tesla was on my list of possible names too) :) also they don't require as much grooming as MCs so I missed a trick there.

It was a toss up between the two breeds but I really like the slightly more chunky face of Maine coons. Don't worry, I'll post lots of photos once I've chosen my babies :)

C crosseyed

Yeah Tesla is a cutie for sure :) he is not a comfirmed/pedigreed Norwegian Forest Cat but he looks Waaaay too much like one (right down to the head shape, straight profile and angular eyes- plus he is MASSIVE for his age, he is 8 months old and already over 13 pounds and he isn't fat!) to dismiss the possibility.

He was dumped alongside our road at 6 weeks old. We think he may have belonged to a backyard breeder. We knew he had already been socialized because he loved being held and petted- he would even seek out our attention. And he already knew how to use the litterbox and he ate wet food like a champ, even though he was only 6 weeks old. After exhaustimg all possible ways to find out if he had an owner, we kept him.

I am currently saving up to have him DNA tested, to see if he actually is a NFC or if he is just a very convincing look-alike.

Last edited:

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
raina21 raina21
Aww poor boy. 6 weeks is very young to survive being dumped on the roadside so good on you for rescuing him!

So I took everyone's advice and decided to go in with a clean slate, as if I'd never met them before and see what happened...
A clambered up me and sat on my shoulder for a while then fell asleep on my lap for about an hour.
B was super friendly and playful this time, fell asleep next to me on the sofa and was just generally very cute
C, who had been my safe choice was still so sleepy and only really played once or twice although both times he played with B and they fell asleep snuggled up together which was so cute!

So... I have decided to get A and B. I think that C is still quite behind in development, and although he is the cutest looking (silver tabby with white paws), I'd be taking a bit of a gamble with his personality. And I do feel a bit mean separating him from B but the breeder doesn't let them go to single pet homes so he'll have a friend to play with in the end.

A seems to be calming down and was very much a lap cat while B seems to be gaining more and more confidence. I wish I could take all 3 but I'm going to have to find somewhere that will let me rent with them and I think 2 cats sounds more reasonable than 3. Luckily by 16 weeks they will be the size of small moggies so I can pass them off as lazy cats rather than destructive kittens :)

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know! Such an impossible decision!

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  they are all beautiful, in my own experience my males get along better with each other. my females tend to be very bossy for some reason...

Last edited:

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've gone for A and B. B&C did seem more bonded together than any other combo but A was very cute with me and B is very sociable with lots of the other cats and just seems to like playing with and sleeping next to anyone who is doing the same thing. I hope that once they've only got each other, they will form a strong bond.

Had A not been all over me, I'd have gone for B&C because they were playing together. I think I've made the right choice personality-wise at this point in time (& feel a lot happier about my decision), but I do love C's colouring. He's a very pretty little kitten! I do wish I could take them all though. They're a fantastic litter

Do either seem particularly bonded with another?

crosseyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no reason to break up a happy family, i'd take all 3:D   they are all beautiful, in my own experience my males get along better with each other. my females tend to be very bossy for some reason...
:) I'd love to take all 3 but they're very expensive and I think it'd be harder finding somewhere to rent with 3 cats compared to 2 (which for some reason just sounds like a more reasonable number).