Advice On Where To Keep Mom And 3 Week Old Kittens

Pippi’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am caring for my cat and her litter of 5 three week old kittens. She had them in a closet three weeks ago but moved them to the corner of my bedroom behind a chair. They were on my bedroom carpet but I have put down layers of fleece for bedding. They have just become quite active and are now leaving the corner. I have not put out a litter box for them yet. My problem is I don’t want them ruining my carpet. I’m fine with them in my bedroom and mother cat seems happy with that. My master bath is attached to my bedroom and mother cats litter box is in there for now. Any advice for how to contain them in that corner on the fleece to protect the rest of my carpet? I have a metal octagonal pen that is quite spacious with a door so Mom could get in and out. The kittens are too small at least for now to get over the doorway (several inches high). I could put a small litter box in there and set if all up behind the chair. It’s pretty spacious. Any other ideas? Also is now a good time to introduce litter box and some soft kitten food? Also are they ready for first vet visit? Mom is healthy and up to date on vaccines and had prenatal checkup. They are quite active. Thanks so much for help. Just FYI... Mom (Pippie) will be spayed as soon as kitties are weaned and I have homes for all kittens. Thanks for any advice!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg I want that little black teddy bear! If only their eyes would stay blue!
What about a baby gate in the bathroom doorway so they stay in there but mom can come and go when she needs a break. Or just use that pen you have that sounds perfect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pippi’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I did set up the pen. I hadn’t put a litter box in there yet and momma cat peed in the corner. She has NEVER had an accident. Could it be she wants them to use that spot? I put a litter box there. She seems to be ready to turn them loose so to speak and is spending less time with them. Is this normal??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal. Cover your carpet with towels for now. The kittens will be exploring all over. It's difficult to contain them after the first few weeks.

Mom may have peed because the change upset her.

Kittens begin to wean to soft food around 4-5 weeks old. Once they begin eating they will need a kitten-sized litter pan and non-clumping litter.

No vet visit is necessary until the kittens are 8 weeks unless they are sick. Vaccines begin at 8 weeks, and mom can be spayed when they are 8 weeks.

Pippi’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply! This site is really a wonderful resource and I have been on it just about every day! Mother cat does seem a bit stressed. She seems to be growing weary or maybe she is just trying to encrouage their independence? I did put them in the pen/play yard in my bedroom and she is spending time just outside of it just observing kittens. She does nurse but seems to be leaving them more to themselves. Is that also normal? I did put s small litter box in there...the kittens seems to enjoy exploring it! Haha! Using non clumping litter. I think momma pee peed nest to it...maybe she just missed? One more question! Two of the kittens are much smaller and don’t seem to be gaining although they do nurse. Can I supplement with the bottle? I bought tiny bottles/nipples and KMR is it ok to supplement a couple times of day with that??

Pippi’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply! This site is really a wonderful resource and I have been on it just about every day! Mother cat does seem a bit stressed. She seems to be growing weary or maybe she is just trying to encrouage their independence? I did put them in the pen/play yard in my bedroom and she is spending time just outside of it just observing kittens. She does nurse but seems to be leaving them more to themselves. Is that also normal? I did put s small litter box in there...the kittens seems to enjoy exploring it! Haha! Using non clumping litter. I think momma pee peed nest to it...maybe she just missed? One more question! Two of the kittens are much smaller and don’t seem to be gaining although they do nurse. Can I supplement with the bottle? I bought tiny bottles/nipples and KMR is it ok to supplement a couple times of day with that??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's normal for mom to begin to spend more time apart from her kittens, but continue to nurse them.

Yes, definitely supplement the kittens if they are not gaining well.

Mama cats do get anxious initially when their kittens begin to exert their independence! :)

Pippi’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I think mom and I are both feeling a little unsure of ourselves! I do have another question. So as I said I did put a small litter box in with the kittens earlier today. I have now gone in to check on Mom and babies and the mom is laying in the litter box and the kittens are laying in it trying to nurse. That doesn’t seem good to me. Maybe it was too early to introduce it? Or too much change all at once for Mom and that is why she is doing that? I took it out for now. When do you know they are all ready for litter box? They are only 3 1/2 weeks old. I read conflicting info on other sites as to the right age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will need a litter box in another 3 weeks after they begin eating soft foods. They are too young now. Mom will relax again soon. It was the change. It's good you took the box out.