Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Advice On Syringe Feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by Prestopepper, May 16, 2019.

1. Prestopepper

Prestopepper Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Mar 21, 2019
    Hello, my 10 month old kitty is sick and won’t eat on his own, so I am syringe feeding him. He does pretty well when I syringe feed him his canned food mixed with water (blue buffalo brand) but he does not like it when I syringe feed him only water. When I try to syringe feed him water, he won’t swallow it and he’ll just let it seep out his mouth. Any advice on how I can get him to drink more water when I’m syringe feeding? Thanks

2. verna davies

verna davies TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 23, 2016
    Wales uk
    Try putting a little at a time into the side of his mouth and pull the syringe away each time, if a lot is given they are afraid of chocking. Also, if possible, gentle strock his throat to encourage him to swallow.

Prestopepper purraised this.

3. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    I've read that if you gently blow on their nose it also encourages swallowing?

Prestopepper and verna davies purraised this.

4. daftcat75

daftcat75 TCS Member Top Cat

Sep 7, 2018
    Doesn't the food already have extra water added to get it to push through the syringe? I think I'd focus on getting him enough food (plus added water) and his moisture requirement should take care of itself.

Prestopepper, CL56, GalaxyGirl and 2 others purraised this.