Advice On Supplementing Older Cats

Cerraigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 12-year old girls who are both pretty healthy for their age. They're both less active than they used to be but nothing out of character for them. Just getting older I think. One of the two had complete dental care last summer including some extractions and I will bring my other one to the vet this summer for the same procedure. I want to get this done soon as I can as I know anesthesia is harder on older cats.

I was just wondering if you thought giving them supplements was a good idea as a preventive measure. I was thinking possibly glucosamine for joint health. I want them to be as healthy as possible in their old age so I can have them in my life as long as possible.

Do you give anything to your older cats? They are already eating age-appropriate high quality cat food. Just curious as to what everyone else is doing.

Steph

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior will be 13 in October. He's on a diet to lose weight. No specific supplements. I make unseasoned bone broth (for myself) and offer him a bit before I add any seasonings, but he doesn't like it. Bone broth is rich in "good stuff", including glucosamine and chondroitin. He eats a couple ounces of oily fish per week, instead of an Omega-3 supplement. In general, I prefer whole foods over supplements.

Other than glucosamine/chondroitin for their joints, the only "supplement" I've read that senior cats need is increased protein diet to keep them from the "skinny old cat" syndrome. Since my boy's overweight, we're not there yet. :confused:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wanted to try to use bone broth
Caru is pricier but has little aroma
If your cat doesn't mind a little extra smelly stuff
Honest Kitchen bone broth smells like everything is kicked up a notch.

My boys use both but Honest Kitchen is most affordable. You need ice cube trays as a serving is 1 ice cube (1/8 cup)
I mix it in with their raw during the day.

If you want supplements you can look at Licks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cerraigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I'd never heard of bone broth before. I'll look into it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just throw extra trimmed bones into a freezer bag until I have enough to half-way fill a crockpot, then fill the crock with purified water and let it cook until the bones turn to mush when you pinch them.

Mercola's broth starting with a whole chicken would definitely make a richer, "chickenier" broth that might cats might actually be interested in eating. :yummy: Whole chicken broth is the bomb for chicken 'n dumplings.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried the Licks with my elderly cat, Scooter. He didn't want it. As for bone broth, I just put water in with the bones and simmer for a few hours with a bit of vinegar. It's not much different than making broth for homemade soup except you don't put any seasoning or onion in it. Just the bones and water

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if you thought giving them supplements was a good idea as a preventive measure. I was thinking possibly glucosamine for joint health.
Steph
I am a human doctor, not a vet, but I am aware that well controlled clinical trials in humans have failed to show any significant improvement of osteoarthritis when glucosamine was given and I can see no reason why this should be any different in feline medicine. In view of these trials, I fear that you will be wasting your time (and unduly stressing your cat) if you were to use this substance to try to maintain your cat's joint health.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey