Advice on Socializing a Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok well I've been using the EFT (emotional freedom tapping) and been surrogate for the cats. Tonight is a little bit of progress in that Treasure and Sopdet are beginning to accept Tourmaline. I do this every morning and then at night for each of the cats.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok well I've been using the EFT (emotional freedom tapping) and been surrogate for the cats. Tonight is a little bit of progress in that Treasure and Sopdet are beginning to accept Tourmaline. I do this every morning and then at night for each of the cats.
That is good to hear. Keep doing what you are doing it is working.🙂

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes diligence. At least 7 days before seeing any real results and then 14 to 21 days for it to continue. Best results though are to tap for the issue of them getting along for an entire month. There was again much more calm. Now whether it really works on the cats when tapping for them or are they picking up on my relaxed demeanor and acting accordingly I don't know but either way it does seem to be helping. I know there will be a time or two that it looks like it all of a sudden stopped working but that is normal. For the first time since i started this there were 3 cats eating (one on the side of the house and one in regular cat area) all peacefully. Just now the neighbors dog came down and there was even peace between the dog and Tourmaline. But for a cat that may have been a pet, Tourmaline is sure spooked by cars and garbage trucks.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure and Tourmaline are off somewhere. Sopdet got run off early this morning with 45 mph winds. She hasn't been seen since. Usually I don't worry about her but since the wind managed to rip the storm door off the basement wall I am hoping she's ok. This morning Treasure was practicing his yowling with a very unimpressed Tourmaline looking at him like he was crazy. I posted the video in the photo/video forum. I think Tourmaline was more anxious about the cam that was moving around. She's not used to that whereas after a year Treasure doesn't even pay the cams any attention. These cats go the entire 9 years when they play. I suppose it's because they are feral and unlike your housecat who plays for fun and exercise, ferals need these skills in order to survive. I can often tell when they do play because 9 time out of 10 they get easily distracted with food, or they look off when growling/hissing, yowling or whatever. I used to worry about all of that but after observing Treasure and Sopdet for the past year I know what to expect. Sounds and all. In fact the other day Sopdet chased Treasure up the tree. I also found that you can read a million articles, can ask a million experts but each cat and situation is different. Like the articles I read that cats playing are usually quiet but I learned from watching Shaman with her buddies before they disappeared and with Treasure and Sopdet how they make the sounds and go the entire 9 yards. Anyway so far the tapping is working for the cats. I just need to tap for myself so I'm not worried when something like these winds occur. Although I do always wonder when they leave in the morning if they'll return that evening or decide to move on. Like Shaman did. :(

Bad news. Sopdet is terrified of me. All that hard work to be undone by some stupid wind. I'm through with this. I just can't do this again and again and again. :(

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure and Tourmaline are off somewhere. Sopdet got run off early this morning with 45 mph winds. She hasn't been seen since. Usually I don't worry about her but since the wind managed to rip the storm door off the basement wall I am hoping she's ok. This morning Treasure was practicing his yowling with a very unimpressed Tourmaline looking at him like he was crazy. I posted the video in the photo/video forum. I think Tourmaline was more anxious about the cam that was moving around. She's not used to that whereas after a year Treasure doesn't even pay the cams any attention. These cats go the entire 9 years when they play. I suppose it's because they are feral and unlike your housecat who plays for fun and exercise, ferals need these skills in order to survive. I can often tell when they do play because 9 time out of 10 they get easily distracted with food, or they look off when growling/hissing, yowling or whatever. I used to worry about all of that but after observing Treasure and Sopdet for the past year I know what to expect. Sounds and all. In fact the other day Sopdet chased Treasure up the tree. I also found that you can read a million articles, can ask a million experts but each cat and situation is different. Like the articles I read that cats playing are usually quiet but I learned from watching Shaman with her buddies before they disappeared and with Treasure and Sopdet how they make the sounds and go the entire 9 yards. Anyway so far the tapping is working for the cats. I just need to tap for myself so I'm not worried when something like these winds occur. Although I do always wonder when they leave in the morning if they'll return that evening or decide to move on. Like Shaman did. :(

Bad news. Sopdet is terrified of me. All that hard work to be undone by some stupid wind. I'm through with this. I just can't do this again and again and again. :(
So sorry that you are having your ups and down with your cats and that you have to restart the treatment over again. It has been very windy where Iive as well. A couple of community cats are MIA because of this crazy weather and boy do they get stressed out over it. :angrycat: Feeding was nightmarish this evening. I had to keep bowls from blowing away while making sure everyone eats something. To make this situation worse were some stressed out cats who were attacking other cats. I had to break up a bunch of cat fights. Uggghhhh!:doh:

I hope the weather calms down and things get back to normal. I hope that all our kitties are accounted for and they are no longer stressed out.

Hang in there. You are not alone with the everyday struggles we face.🙂

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Most times my struggles are because of my Mom. Yes she's 97 years old. Yes she is allergic to cats. But she is unbendable. Refuses to even listen to me about the cats. Everything I do has to be on the sly. I don't have the money to live on my own and she has thrown me out several times over the past year, even though she does rely on me to help her. Nothing stops her ire. I have tried to mention that on here before to no avail. Otherwise if I could I would bring all of them inside. Cooper is another cat that was dumped. He survived last winter outside and he shows up so infrequently I'm happy when he does. I guess he visits the other colonies. Someone did take him long to put a collar on him but he was a bit aggressive until he tore the collar off. Today he just showed up. I snuck outside for a moment but Mom was inside screaming that it was cold, I was going to die, people over 55 should not be outside in 45 degree weather, yadda and then she got on the phone with the police to see if she could have me removed. So I had to reluctantly come back inside and poor Cooper (who barely visits, walked off with his tail between his legs like he was dejected. This is one of the reasons why my posts are always so urgent or sad because I'm really up against a brick wall with no means of help. Even the Alz org can do nothing about my Mom as here a doctor will do nothing without Mom's permission. So this is my 99% of the time situation. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Tourmaline is now scared of me. I don't know why but something is terribly wrong here. As usual vets and cat experts in my area refuse to help me or even give some kind of suggestions. So not sure what is happening. :(

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Most times my struggles are because of my Mom. Yes she's 97 years old. Yes she is allergic to cats. But she is unbendable. Refuses to even listen to me about the cats. Everything I do has to be on the sly. I don't have the money to live on my own and she has thrown me out several times over the past year, even though she does rely on me to help her. Nothing stops her ire. I have tried to mention that on here before to no avail. Otherwise if I could I would bring all of them inside. Cooper is another cat that was dumped. He survived last winter outside and he shows up so infrequently I'm happy when he does. I guess he visits the other colonies. Someone did take him long to put a collar on him but he was a bit aggressive until he tore the collar off. Today he just showed up. I snuck outside for a moment but Mom was inside screaming that it was cold, I was going to die, people over 55 should not be outside in 45 degree weather, yadda and then she got on the phone with the police to see if she could have me removed. So I had to reluctantly come back inside and poor Cooper (who barely visits, walked off with his tail between his legs like he was dejected. This is one of the reasons why my posts are always so urgent or sad because I'm really up against a brick wall with no means of help. Even the Alz org can do nothing about my Mom as here a doctor will do nothing without Mom's permission. So this is my 99% of the time situation. :(
My very first post on this forum ( that I posted only a few months ago) was titled "At my Wit's End being attacked over cat feeding". Seriously, I was getting attacked from every angle. My mother was and still is one of those forces that makes my life hellish, especially for cat feeding. Everyday I am screamed at over the cats and told to stop feeding them. Everyday I have to stand up for the cats. The aggravation I have to deal with for feeding cats is enough to put me off feeding cats for life. Just a few months ago I had a major falling out with another cat feeder in regards to trying to get cats off the streets at her husband request. She got extremely nasty with me and wrote me a vicious email and I gave it right back to her spotlighting her lies and bs behavior. She said she will sic her lawyer on me if I spoke to her again, but instead she siced a local tnr group on me and made me look like the bad guy when I was only trying to get some cats off the streets before winter. 😠 Just endless aggravation. I am sick of doing what I think is right and getting grief over it.

I am sorry your mom is acting terribly to you and giving you grief over the cats. Has she always been difficult or is this the Alztimers taking effect over her? At her advanced age, you need to be listed as a Health Proxy. Someone should be able to make health decisions for her when she is unable to. You may want to look into Power of Attorney as well for not only health, but all her financial issues. This had to be done with my father. He was very stubborn and was in denial of his poor health. 😞 Thankfully, we were able to talk him into this and we made his health decisions. When the end was near we honored his wishes and had inhospice care rather than just put him in a Hospice hospital.

Do you have an siblings or relatives who can help with your mother? You need help and moral support. My family and I were completely drained in the last few years of my father's life. He was on a ton of medication and had a portable machine hooked up to him that was always having problems. He was also a very difficult person all around.

I understand coming off heavy, I do it too. It can't be helped when you are being weighed down with very stressful situations that you see no end in sight. Could you visit a family support website for loved ones with Alztimers. I have seen support groups online for all kinds of conditions. You need to be around people who are going through the ups and downs of coping with a family member with Alztimers. It would be helpful to you.

I hope all the kitties return and things improve for them and for you. Hang tough. 💪💪💪:heartshape:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Tourmaline is now scared of me. I don't know why but something is terribly wrong here. As usual vets and cat experts in my area refuse to help me or even give some kind of suggestions. So not sure what is happening. :(
Maybe put up a new thread in the Feral and Stray forum, so you can get some replies from other members. There are members out there far more knowledgeable than me. You need to direct the post at those who have successfully tamed ferals and dealth with alot if setbacks. I am sure those members would have a lot to say.