Advice on Sleep Studies, Sleep Apnea, CPAP Machines?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My doctor believes that I have sleep apnea and has scheduled a sleep study in March. The information the sleep study center has provided is very thorough, but I wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom based on personal experience. Also, if I do have sleep apnea--and I think I do (that and cats who wake me up several times a night :lol:)--I'd be interested in any experiences with CPAP machines. I've read there are some that are better and/or more comfortable than others.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several studies done. I'd recommend bringing melatonin or a sleep aid just in case you have trouble falling asleep or have anxiety around it. For CPAP machines, I used the mask that went over my nose and mouth for several years, but I did greatly prefer the nose mask when I switched to it a few years later.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My doctor believes that I have sleep apnea and has scheduled a sleep study in March. The information the sleep study center has provided is very thorough, but I wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom based on personal experience. Also, if I do have sleep apnea--and I think I do (that and cats who wake me up several times a night :lol:)--I'd be interested in any experiences with CPAP machines. I've read there are some that are better and/or more comfortable than others.
I haven't . Have you seen that advertisement for inspiresleep it is Shown quite frequently on dish tv

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I did greatly prefer the nose mask when I switched to it a few years later.
Good to know. Thanks!

I’ve never had trouble falling asleep, but you never know. I imagine it will be very different when I’m covered with sensors!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, never heard of it. Very interesting! Mayo Clinic actually has a page about it on its website.
If you click on that highlighted line inspire sleep above the website will come up.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
If you click on that highlighted line inspire sleep above the website will come up.
Yep, did that, read, then went looking for more info and read what the Mayo Clinic had to say.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used a CPAP machine for about five years now.

My insurance did not want to pay for an in-hospital test, so I picked up a unit at the hospital and did the test at home. Probably a much better idea, as the last time I was in the hospital I hardly slept at all!

I have a Resmed AirSense 10 CPAP machine. It has adjustments for humidity, pressure, ramp up time (how long it takes to get to full pressure) and more. It keeps track of how long I sleep, if the mask is adjusted properly, events per hour and how many times you take the mask on and off. It has wi-fi and uploads your stats to a website you can access. Your doctor can also change adjustments on the unit.

For me, getting the right mask and the right mask fit were the most important parts. The three types of masks are full face mask, nose mask and nose pillows. I've tried a full face mask and several nose pillows. I like the adjustability and comfort of the Philips Dreamwear silicone nose pillows. Neither nose pillows nor nose masks will work if you tend to sleep with your mouth open.

I read some about the Inspire procedure for sleep apnea a few years ago. My impression was that success was limited at that time. Perhaps I will check it out again.

I've had sleep problems since I was a kid, and the CPAP machine has helped me. It was not that hard for me to adjust to using it, but it can take some time to learn how to get the most out of it. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond . This information is very helpful. I’ve read that getting the right equipment and right fit are extremely important. I’ve also read that CPAP machines are much quieter than they used to be.

I hope I’ll be okay on the insurance end of it. It appears that it will be mostly covered by Medicare, although I’m going to do some more checking. Medicare seems to want you to be able to breathe because it’s covering my nebulizer and medicine for asthma. :)

Thanks again.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Medicare covered my machine. I have to use it so many hour a day or they will want it back! They partially pay for the replacement supplies - headgear, nose piece, filter, water reservoir and tubing - several times a year.

The machine is very quiet. If I take the mask off while it is running, I can hear air rushing through the mask but little else.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I did an at home sleep study about 6 weeks ago that showed I had moderate to high sleep apnea, so I decided I would check into CPAP machines but because of recalls of machines that were causing cancer and slow down thanks to Covid they say there probably won't be any available for months or even longer!!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to use it so many hour a day or they will want it back!
How do they know how many hours a day you use it?? That conjures up several interesting images. Tiny government winged fairies hovering up by the ceiling of your bedroom? House drone? Medicare’s version of Siri or Alexa? (Reminds me of the recent Non Sequitur cartoons.) :lol:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an at home sleep study about 6 weeks ago that showed I had moderate to high sleep apnea, so I decided I would check into CPAP machines but because of recalls of machines that were causing cancer and slow down thanks to Covid they say there probably won't be any available for months or even longer!!
Yet another shortage caused by COVID? :sigh: I did the home sleep study, too, but based on what they found, the doctor wanted me to do the monitored version in a sleep study center.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another shortage caused by COVID? :sigh: I did the home sleep study, too, but based on what they found, the doctor wanted me to do the monitored version in a sleep study center.
I asked when they told me to do the sleep study at home why that instead of going somewhere and they said this way they could get two nights of results instead of just one?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I asked when they told me to do the sleep study at home why that instead of going somewhere and they said this way they could get two nights of results instead of just one?
Huh. Okay. The medical profession can be so opaque at times, and particularly now when they all seem less accessible.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband had one several years ago. He said they came in the middle of the night and put a mask on him and said welcome to the rest of your life. He has a bi-pap which works really well for him. It doesn't bother him at all to wear it, but he had to experiment with various masks until he found one he was comfortable with.

How do they know how many hours a day you use it?? That conjures up several interesting images. Tiny government winged fairies hovering up by the ceiling of your bedroom? House drone? Medicare’s version of Siri or Alexa? (Reminds me of the recent Non Sequitur cartoons.) :lol:
Because the machine records it. And you have to take the machine with you when you go to doctor appointments.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine has wi-fi that sends the information to a website that the doctor can access. Does it bother me that my personal habits are being monitored? Yes. But this is what is being offered and it seems I have to accept it to have a CPAP machine. I saw the PA Tuesday and she had downloaded my information for the last month in preparation of my appointment.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
recalls of machines that were causing cancer
The filters in some of the Philips CPAP machines were decaying, releasing a cancer causing material. You would think that would be an easy fix? I use a Philips mask, but it has no filters in it.