Advice On New Kitten

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really, really don't want to be a crazy cat lady! I came home this afternoon to find a tiny (maybe 3 pound) male kitten running around the parking lot. There's a bad storm moving in--the sky is black just west of here. The kitten gets corralled and I try to determine where this little guy needs to be with bad weather about to hit. I finally get the area kids to tell me where the kitten slept last night--they kept trying to sell him to me -- and the lady tells me that her uncle gave the kitten to her kids but she can't keep up with it and all but admitted that she 'accidentally' let the kitten escape. I offered to make sure he got to a rescue so he could be re-homed and she was thrilled. (The only people who should ever give live animals to children as gifts are the parents).

*One sweet note about this--about a month ago one of the area boys had asked about the stuff (greenhouse and shelters) on my patio and I had explained about how I put food, water and shelter out for the homeless kitties in the area. He had been trying to herd the kitten onto my patio so that it would have food and shelter with the storm getting close. :heartshape:

So, I head into my apartment cradling this little guy. Riddle, my niece's two and a half year old cat took one look and hissed at the kitten while the little guy just tried to disappear into the crook of my arm. Angus, my 10 month old cat, seemed more curious--sniffing at him but no real reaction otherwise.

For now, I pulled out a medium size dog crate I had (picked up cheap back when I was worried about being able to catch and fix the ferals before kitten season so I'd have an emergency confinement available). I've got him all fixed up and closed off in the spare room and I moved the third litter box out to the living room so Angus and Riddle still have three boxes to choose from. So the little guy has a dry, safe place to sleep and Angus and Riddle have the run of the apartment.

Now, I can check with local rescues to see if anyone has room for a kitten, but my niece's cat is supposed to be going to my niece's new place in another week (they're moving in this week and wanted to get everything unpacked and settled before they introduce him to the place). I was going to wait and see how Angus did going back to being on his own before considering getting him a playmate, but a kitten was just literally dumped on my front porch. Angus is 10 months old and a good 9-10 pounds. He's not really territorial or food aggressive, but he is somewhat dominant. This little guy is maybe 3 pounds and probably less than 3 months old.

Should I just contact rescues and see if I can get the kitten a placement now or would it be a good idea to attempt an introduction between the two of them? With the difference in size, I'm not sure it would be a good match. Riddle is 9-10 pounds so the two of them are evenly matched. This little guy is tiny. If I do test the waters, what kinds of things can I look for to see if Angus is accepting the kitten. He likes to groom every other cat he encounters (surprisingly, one of the ferals will let him--the others, not so much). I know that's also a dominance behavior as well so it's a mixed signal.

I've read through the 'introducing a new cat' and there hasn't been any bad interactions or reactions other than Riddle's hissing, but it's also been all of two hours. Here's my unexpected guest. He's on the top floor of the crate, underneath is a small litter box and food/water.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually young cats do fine with kittens. Sometimes they play rough, sometimes the kitten will squeal a bit, but they never actually hurt the kitten.

But I'd find a room to use as a home base for the kitten for a couple of days to get the kitten adjusted before worrying about the intro. Its best if you pick the room where the kitten will get used to you and feel safe, and hopefully run to if scared. Otherwise, if the introduction goes squirrelly, and it might, the kitten might end up hiding behind the refrigerator for a couple days.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like fate thinks Angus needs a companion! But before trying intros I would get the new baby to the vet for a checkup, shots if he is old enough, infectious illness tests and deworming if necessary. Even then I would wait another week or two to give the baby time to grow and to make sure he doesn’t come down with a respiratory infection before starting a slow intro with Angus. Most than likely they will become best friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like fate thinks Angus needs a companion! But before trying intros I would get the new baby to the vet for a checkup, shots if he is old enough, infectious illness tests and deworming if necessary. Even then I would wait another week or two to give the baby time to grow and to make sure he doesn’t come down with a respiratory infection before starting a slow intro with Angus. Most than likely they will become best friends.
Hopefully, unfortunately when I popped in to check on the little guy Angus slipped in behind me--he's the epitome of curiosity killed the cat. The kitten stuck his nose out of the cage and Angus gave a hiss with his ears flattened back. I didn't yell, I just herded him out of the room. I don't think any harm was done in terms of introductions since the kitten will remain in the spare room until he's been vetted anyway. I was just surprised since he hadn't reacted at all initially.

So for those with two or more cats: is there an issue with a larger cat and smaller cat playing together?

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually young cats do fine with kittens. Sometimes they play rough, sometimes the kitten will squeal a bit, but they never actually hurt the kitten.

But I'd find a room to use as a home base for the kitten for a couple of days to get the kitten adjusted before worrying about the intro. Its best if you pick the room where the kitten will get used to you and feel safe, and hopefully run to if scared. Otherwise, if the introduction goes squirrelly, and it might, the kitten might end up hiding behind the refrigerator for a couple days.
He's shut in the spare room partially because he needs a quiet, safe place until I can get him to my vet and partially because my niece's cat instantly hissed at him when I walked in the door. So, the kitten will be in the spare room until Riddle goes to his new home.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually they can play well together regardless of size. The little ones grow up quickly and when they are friends a squeal is enough for the larger to back off. Have raised many kittens with full grown cats and no one has gotten hurt except for one obnoxious kitten who got a claw sheath stuck in her nose and probably deserved it.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually they can play well together regardless of size. The little ones grow up quickly and when they are friends a squeal is enough for the larger to back off. Have raised many kittens with full grown cats and no one has gotten hurt except for one obnoxious kitten who got a claw sheath stuck in her nose and probably deserved it.
:flail:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always brought home cats at different stages in life, including kittens, and have never had a problem when the bigger cat plays with the smaller one. Usually it's the older one who gets annoyed and tries to get away from a pestering kitten! If you do the introductions slowly and considering Angus is still young, I'm sure they will do fine.
And congrats on your new unexpected addition!:catlove:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never had problems with my two. Mog was about 7 months when Lucy was 2, and we took him in (they were both rescued from my area.) I followed the advice of TCS articles, and went very slowly, but there was never really an issue. Between keeping them separated for shots, neuter / spay recovery, and intros, they got a good chance to go slowly. If anything, I believe Mog helped Lucy understand "cat manners" in playing, etc, because she was abandoned so young.
The bigger / older cat is still the "dominant" one now that they're both the same size, but I think that's more due to personality. Mog is very friendly and inquisitive, and Lucy is a bit more shy and sweet. There were a couple of times where Mog looked like he was being rough, and Lucy squealed when they were young. As soon as I walked up, they scattered. Once, I used "Stop That" pheromone spray during a rough play, and it worked. Occasionally, it will happen now, and one will hiss at the other, but they just break it up themselves. This is all rare. Most of the rest of the time, they're cuddling together, or playing, or grooming one another. Though very different, they're best friends.
I think the most important thing is the personalities of the two cats, how they're introduced, and that there's no fighting for attention or resources. Also, if anything, two younger cats seem like they could adapt to a new friend more easily. Let us know how it goes!

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every time I get my hopes up, they get dashed. I've done some scent swapping, laying my shirts worn while handling the kitten and the bedding from his first night. Riddle ignores it, Angus sniffs curiously and then lays down on top of it. I felt pretty good about that, but he's been almost obsessively laying in front of the spare room door just staring at the door. Once when the kitten was meowing, Angus hissed at the door. He's also been a bit more dominant. Every thing I put down for Riddle and Angus, he has to get into. I put some catnip down for him, then tried to give Riddle some but Angus left his and tried to take Riddle's. He wasn't aggressive about it, just pushy. I feel like it's because he knows there's a strange cat in the apartment and he's feeling threatened. He's encountered ferals on our walks, so he's used to smelling other cats. I was just hoping it would be an easy transition and I'm getting mixed signals from Angus. I know it’s still very early in the process.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Be patient, once Riddle has left for his new home the dynamics will change and Angus may settle down. There's lots of great advice on the site. Getting the neighborhood kids on your side is an excellent way to go. :yess: You are awsome.:cheerleader::goldstar::bouquet: Keep us updated and post lots of photos :camera::wave3:

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, vet visit and first round of vaccines went great. He's actually 4 and a half pounds, so not quite as tiny as I thought, although still half Amgus' size. Negative for FIV/FeLV. Vet does want him sequestered for another week at least in case he develops an upper respiratory infection with all the turmoil.

Question --I've done some scent swapping, especially leaving my shirt on the floor after cuddling with Leo. Every time I leave something with Leo's scent out, Angus just nonchalantly plops himself down right on top of it. No growling or visible response otherwise. Can those with experience interpret that for me?

I did figure out the sporadic hissing. It seems that Angus was sticking his paw under the door and Leo saw this gray toy popping in and out and pounced on it. The hiss was Angus reacting.

Angus sitting vigil outside the door to the spare room.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hold off even scent swapping for another week. Just so what doesn’t get swapped is cold virus instead of scent.
I am sure Angus is getting very curious about the kitten but even with that some hissing by both is to be expected when they finally meet.