Advice on new cat tree/relocating cat tree.

PAZ 3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm new to the cat parenting scene. I have a preexisting cat tree (58") in my living room (it's their first one). My 2 cats love their cat tree and always sleep on it. They also stay half the time downstairs. I have a lot of beds and random boxes for them to lounge in, but it is accumulating spider webs and hair dust balls. SO to clean up the area, I purchased a new, larger/taller cat tree (67") as a new addition. The ceiling in the living room is slightly higher, so I moved the preexisting tree downstairs and kept the new one upstairs. The fur babies were not happy with that at all. They peed on the couch several times and now they only stay downstairs. I feel like they are upset with me or dislike the change/new tree. I even tried to entertain them on it, catnip the tree, put treats on there, their fur chunks and their blanket for scent. They don't seem to budge. It's been a week now, I am contemplating on swapping it back.

Any advice on what you think I should do??

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can, try putting the two trees together for a while. The new tree does not have their scent and it is unfamiliar to them. This tends to stress some cats out. If you have the room put them side by side for a while to see if they accept it. If they start using the new one, move the old one a short distance away where it is still in the room but not in their favorite spot and let them make the choice of using the old one or the new one. Give them some time with that setup then move the old tree out of the room and a short distance away to see how they react.

This is a process of them getting comfortable with something new and sometimes it takes time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PAZ 3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying!

I kept the new tree beside the old one for 2 days before I moved it down. My home is a split level so the living space is limited. Moving it overtime, the tree will end up being an obstacle in the middle of the walkway. The cats inspected it while I was assembling it and one cat did nap on it 2 twice but they seem to only prefer their old one. I am keeping the original tree. I just don't know if its better to undo the relocation and swap it back. That way they can allow themselves to adjust to it on their own terms (putting the new downstairs). Downstairs tends to be their play area, but upstairs is closer to us and where they prefer to sleep.

Also, I figured it's the lack of scent. I even picked up their fur balls and laid them on the tree 😆.

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may not like the way the new tree smells. Cats are more sensitive to scents than people and everywhere this tree has been and everyone who touched it left a scent on it. It can take weeks for the scents to recede. in some cases, I've noticed with floor carpet, something in the cleaning/sizing of the new carpet is offensive to cats, some cats and some dogs are allergic to the chemical and will itch and scratch great wads of fur out.This takes a couple of years to dissipate. This can also happen when your carpets are professionally cleaned. If you get that done ask that the cleaner just use steam. For now you could try to steam clean the new tree.

I would exchange the trees, new one in the downstairs, near a window that you can leave cracked to help get rid of the smell. Old tree back where, in the cats' opinion, it belongs.

Because cats really don't like change. Being prey animals change that they didn't cause means danger to them, which is why it takes so long for them to trust something new. It takes our cat about 9 months to decide to play with a new toy. We leave the new out in an out of the way place and wait.

PAZ 3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I will swap it back to it's original spot. I just hope they don't pee on my couch again.

I find it unusual though. It didn't take much effort or long for them to adapt to the first tree. Typically, when I get them beds or scratcher beds and boxes, they get on it from the moment I put it down.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing occurs to me. Now that you have two the dynamics of the cat tree have changed. As the kitten grows more weight will be thrown at the trees. None of the trees I've seen have good sturdy bases to them. Just to be sure your guys are safe when they are in the zoomie rowdy play, be sure to either increase the size of the base, shove a section of the base under a heavy piece of furniture (your abused sofa perhaps) or screw the base into your floor. Or you could put the tree so that a wall is on one or two sides and large chairs on the other so that when it falls it will be caught before crashing to the floor. Cats have been badly injured and killed by the cat trees falling on them.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a new cat tree and threw away the old one because it was falling apart after 10 yrs. It took them over a week to start using it. It is smaller than my old one.

PAZ 3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update
I swapped the tree locations back the day after the post. They probably were in a state of confusion. So they half slept on the new tree (on the base and side perch). Later they came up to their original tree and kind of napped there. It's been less than a week since but they're not really coming up either. I guess like K Kflowers said, the dynamics changed. They have options now lol.

My cats are super timid since I first adopted them. One is barely allowing humans to get close. They don't seem to be food or play motivated. Even when they are, it's very brief. I'm happy at least they are trying to adjust to the new tree on their own terms. In the middle of the night when no one is around. I'm sure like everyone said, it will take a week or even more.

The trees I have are from FeAndRea. It has held up well over a year, so I purchased the 2nd one. It's nice and sturdy up against a wall. Doesn't seem to show signs of tipping over. My cats are female Siberians.