Advice on how to best help my kitten

ladyknight1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I'm new so forgive me if I do something wrong it's not intentional. I wondered if I could receive some advice. A couple weeks ago I was at work ( I work at a garden nursery) and suddenly there was a very little kitten. We where all shocked/worried. We gave him a tiny bit of food and then waited for any sign of mom or siblings. I work a 10-7 shift and we gave him some distance so Mom wouldn't be scared etc but after waiting all that time there was no sign of mom or siblings. It was snowing and the little guy was wet, hungry and cold and so we worried about leaving him. No one wanted him though so I took him home with me. I got him cleaned warm and dried etc and then the next day I took him to the vet. The vet told me he was about 4.5-5 weeks old at the time. I've never had a kitten this young. my previous cats I got at 4 months. And I was worried. I was advised how to best care for him by my vet. Time has past and he's doing well and I'm guessing he's now 6-7 weeks and I love him to death he's a sweetheart but, I will confess he's doing some things that make me worried. He likes biting hands and feet. I've been trying to teach him not to bite redirecting his attention or saying ouch but that doesn't deter him. Upon research I know people say he needs a sibling at risk of single kitten syndrome ( right now he's the only kitty no other dogs or cats) and I feel horrible but I'm afraid I don't think I can provide him that. at least not right now. I sadly #1 don't have enough money at this time to pay for two kittens vet needs etc and #2 fostering is off the table as well. despite my efforts my parents have rejected this. I wondered if anyone had any advice both on biting and just in general? Or if anyone had a similar situation and there kitten turned out fine.? I feel so guilty because I don't know if I did the right thing or not. I just want him to be happy and healthy. any advice would be wonderful. Thank you guys!

SavedbyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try not to use hands/fingers to get the kittens attention. They may mistake this as a playing action. Kittens need to go through a developmental stage where they learn the limits of play. Are you committed to keeping the kitten? Or could you find a rescue to turn the kitten over to where it could be matched with a kitten of similar age to learn from? You did nothing wrong by helping him if no mother cat was in sight for an extended period of time. Sometimes humans are just no substitute for the learning process that cats go through when they are young with their siblings. I think the question is how much time/energy/resources are you able to commit to a needy kitten. A Singleton will require a lot of one on one play and comfort if mom is not available. I'm sure you can make it work thought if you are committed, but there is no shame in seeking alternative resources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladyknight1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I am wanting to keep him if I can. I have been trying to spend every moment I can with him by playing with him and cuddling and teaching him things like how to use the liter box etc. he's caught on to everything very quickly. And he's been doing well but my biggest concern so far has just been the biting.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think redirection is the same as a time out. They might well switch gears and do something else, then and there, but will learn nothing for next time. They are deal with it techniques, not training techniques.

I think "single kitten syndrome" is a load of internet BS that should be translated as "your kitten might be somewhat more bored without a playmate and thus slightly more of a PITA at times and perhaps require slightly more training, on average." Its true, but all kittens can be difficult to varying degrees when very young, and having two doesn't change the random nature of it. Kittens range from 8-11 on the activity scale and you can very much add an 11 by mistake!

My default training tip for almost everything is a noise. I think the only real requirement is that it needs to be just loud enough to be slightly startling. A "no!" a hiss, clapping, smacking the table, stomping, as long as your cat is already bonded, and you don't go overboard and really scare the heck out of the cat, its a good technique that generally works after a little time. Some cats you may need to go louder or softer depending on personality.

I've never had a kitten this young either, but I've heard multiple folks say kittens this young have an actual teething phase like human babies. So follow Furballsmom Furballsmom 's tips on this.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think redirection is the same as a time out. They might well switch gears and do something else, then and there, but will learn nothing for next time. They are deal with it techniques, not training techniques.

I think "single kitten syndrome" is a load of internet BS that should be translated as "your kitten might be somewhat more bored without a playmate and thus slightly more of a PITA at times and perhaps require slightly more training, on average." Its true, but all kittens can be difficult to varying degrees when very young, and having two doesn't change the random nature of it. Kittens range from 8-11 on the activity scale and you can very much add an 11 by mistake!

My default training tip for almost everything is a noise. I think the only real requirement is that it needs to be just loud enough to be slightly startling. A "no!" a hiss, clapping, smacking the table, stomping, as long as your cat is already bonded, and you don't go overboard and really scare the heck out of the cat, its a good technique that generally works after a little time. Some cats you may need to go louder or softer depending on personality.

I've never had a kitten this young either, but I've heard multiple folks say kittens this young have an actual teething phase like human babies. So follow Furballsmom Furballsmom 's tips on this.
Agree it is mostly bogus the problem rescues face is overpopulation that is the biggest reason they try to pair them up is to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. It is true however they learn bite inhibition from mom and littermates however, it can be taught by people too who commit to it.

Be prepaired that you will get bit and scratched by kitty at first but make a loud squeal or shreak when this happens and discontinue interaction. When kitty bites or claws a toy praise and reward the behaviour, kitty will quickly learn toys are ok to bite but people are not ok to bite.

Ps just want to add I have a great respect for people who understand their limits, the fact you recognise that you can't afford a second cat is very responsable.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladyknight1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank all of you guys for your thoughts and advice they have been very helpful. I'll keep working with him and do what you suggest. 😊

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
, I will confess he's doing some things that make me worried. He likes biting hands and feet. I've been trying to teach him not to bite redirecting his attention or saying ouch but that doesn't deter him.
Make sure he has something to teethe on. Make a loud high-pitched noise and withdraw from play if he gets too rough. Caring for kittens requires a good deal of parenting but its worth it. Keep him away from cords or anything else that he can fit in his mouth. He might be a bit wild but should settle down some by six months.

Learn to distinguish love bites (licks and a nibble) from aggression bites. My boy cat gives me love bites in the morning to wake me up. Cats will use bites to communicate but it shouldn't be painful and shouldn't break the skin.

Agree it is mostly bogus the problem rescues face is overpopulation that is the biggest reason they try to pair them up is to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. It is true however they learn bite inhibition from mom and littermates however, it can be taught by people too who commit to it.
Speaking of someone who has two pair bonded kittens they are very cute and will socialize each other to some extent but human parenting is still required. My boy cat is a "very special little gentleman" who has a penchant for trying to eat things that are inedible. They also destroyed SEVEN laptop chargers when they were under six months.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he has something to teethe on. Make a loud high-pitched noise and withdraw from play if he gets too rough. Caring for kittens requires a good deal of parenting but its worth it. Keep him away from cords or anything else that he can fit in his mouth. He might be a bit wild but should settle down some by six months.

Learn to distinguish love bites (licks and a nibble) from aggression bites. My boy cat gives me love bites in the morning to wake me up. Cats will use bites to communicate but it shouldn't be painful and shouldn't break the skin.

Speaking of someone who has two pair bonded kittens they are very cute and will socialize each other to some extent but human parenting is still required. My boy cat is a "very special little gentleman" who has a penchant for trying to eat things that are inedible. They also destroyed SEVEN laptop chargers when they were under six months.
At least laptop chargers aren't solid aluminium. Kabuto destroyed a custom made set of aluminum blinds when he was younger by chewing them. And chipped his tooth in the process.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least laptop chargers aren't solid aluminium. Kabuto destroyed a custom made set of aluminum blinds when he was younger by chewing them. And chipped his tooth in the process.
I have cord protectors on every single cord in their nursery. Teddie Bear (the boy) is 12 pounds at 8 months. He gets into everything and tries to eat nonfood items. He is quite the handful. His sister is a good girl who stays out of trouble.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One other thing. Kittens have TONS of energy. Make sure he has toys to help burn off some of that energy. Like worm toys on a string you can have play sessions with. But never leave the worm toy or any string out unattended. And spring toys he can bat around on his own.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely follow the teething tips!

A high pitched "EEP!" It very much like what another kitten would do if he bit another kitten too hard. Speaking cat works like a charm.

But he will need to get that wrestle energy out so playing with him with a large kicker toy will help! Schedule some time in a day to do that. An unscented woolen dryer ball can also be a hit for wrestling because it "escapes".

Calcifer wasn't a solo kitten but we had a few weeks of that when we first brought him home, he did some feet attacks. Making sure he has a wrestle play is very important to him. We got him the floppy fish too so with everything he doesn't rely fully on us to wrestle either.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But he will need to get that wrestle energy out so playing with him with a large kicker toy will help! Schedule some time in a day to do that. An unscented woolen dryer ball can also be a hit for wrestling because it "escapes".
A kick toy might be good. My cats go nuts for those.