Advice On Having A Feral Outside And An Indoor Only Kitty

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a little feral outside that we TNRd in December that we have been feeding. We can t touch him but he's getting friendlier.
Just the other night I found him on our back porch landing and Psycho was watching him from the window. There is no aggression from either of them and Psycho doesn't seem to be stressed out. I have no plans of ever bringing him inside but I am committed to helping him while he s around.
My main concern is Psycho and not upsetting him. I don't want either to start spraying but I guess since they are both neutered there should be less of a chance . Can anyone tell me if cats can exist like this and both be happy?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sure! It seems they are already sort of co-existing. Each has his own territory - one inside and one outside. Unless they invade one another's territories, I think they'll be fine. Good that you neutered the outside guy. Does he have a shelter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sure! It seems they are already sort of co-existing. Each has his own territory - one inside and one outside. Unless they invade one another's territories, I think they'll be fine. Good that you neutered the outside guy. Does he have a shelter?

Not yet but my husband is going to build one for him. Any suggestions on how to get him to know it s his? I would think food might help there. Feeding him by the shelter maybe.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't feed him in the shelter - it might attract other critters. Just set it out near where he hangs out. I use straw (not hay) in mine, as they can hunker down. You might add a sprinkle of catnip, too.

I always sprinkled diatomaceous earth in the straw as well. It helps keep the flea population down. It is a flour-like substance you can get on Amazon. Just be careful you don't breath it in and let it settle down inside the straw before you put the shelter out for the cat.

You can also put a pinch on his wet food, as it will help kill fleas. Just make sure if you use it for that purpose that you buy "food grade." It is often used in swimming pool filters but they add chemicals to that.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good advice. I bought some pills from the vet that kill fleas and ticks and mash it up in his food. He eats right down.
He usually eats in the driveway so we ll continue to feed him there. I will try the cat nip in the shelter . Thank you for you good advice. Let me know if you have any other tips.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent advices!

Just a little clarification about the DE for the swimming pool filters. Its cheaper, but its NOT food grade! Both added chemicals, and much more of common dust in there.

Food grade, or human grade, hints it is often used by humans too. So stick to it. :)

I wouldn't feed him in the shelter - it might attract other critters. Just set it out near where he hangs out. I use straw (not hay) in mine, as they can hunker down. You might add a sprinkle of catnip, too.

I always sprinkled diatomaceous earth in the straw as well. It helps keep the flea population down. It is a flour-like substance you can get on Amazon. Just be careful you don't breath it in and let it settle down inside the straw before you put the shelter out for the cat.

You can also put a pinch on his wet food, as it will help kill fleas. Just make sure if you use it for that purpose that you buy "food grade." It is often used in swimming pool filters but they add chemicals to that.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will not be using the DE as I have other methods to control fleas and ticks from my Vet. He prescribed a pill that I mash up in his wet food and he eats it right down.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cared for an outdoor feral on my porch for four and a half years until he passed. He had a beautiful cedar wood pet house with a heating pad in the winter and just straw for other seasons, and a bird-proof bowl of dry food out all day and then wet food given a few times in morning and night. There is a glass door separating my porch from my indoor sunroom, and my four indoor cats would watch him, and me sitting beside him on the porch.. They understood they were all my cats and I was their caregiver. My feral watched me pet and hold my indoor cats (two were his offspring) but never allowed me to handle him. Sometimes I would take one of my indoor cats outside on my lap on my porch to visit my feral. They grew to know and like each other, and when my beautiful feral passed, I believe he was missed. My indoor cats kept looking for him through the windows. So yes, your feral and your indoor cat will form a bond over time, and should you decide to take your feral inside some day, it will likely be a smooth transition.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you msaimee that makes me feel really good about our situation. Psycho our indoor does watch for him and they meow at each other from a distance. Neither show aggression. My husband is in the process of building him a house with a front porch. He gets close to us but we still can t pet him. We ll keep working on it. Thank you again!