Advice on Getting a Companion for Tessa - Anyone have cats get along right

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Friends, as many of you know we lost our beautiful girl, Freya, about 6 weeks ago. Since then, her sister Tessa has been so very lonely. We have been contemplating whether to get her a companion kitty. I am starting to feel that the time is right. However, and I know it is impossible to see the future, I want to do my best to get her the "right" kitty.
Today was a rare day, because my son who works from home, was out of town. And I still had to go to work. Tessa seemed to know this and she followed me around the house all morning, meowing and whining and jumping on my shoulders (it's a thing she does). When I came home she came barreling to the back door like a puppy, climbed up my leg, and purred and rubbed her face all over me for a good 10 minutes. Needless to say, we think she has abandonment issues.
Tessa is Tonkinese. I have found a little Siamese boy that needs a good home. His bio says he is less than a year old, very friendly, gets along great with other cats, and is friends with everyone he meets. I would of course try to introduce them slowly, but I don't really have a room I could lock him in, because Tessa sleeps with us at night.
Has anyone ever had success right off the bat, with a new cat in the house? Is it even a possibility I could hope for? Most advice I have read says I should get a younger cat. But what about the male/female dynamic? Does it make a difference? Both cats are already spayed/neutered. I guess I'm just looking for opinions.
Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally speaking, males and males or males and females adjust faster than females with females. I have a feeling it is because females tend to be more territorial than males due to the instinct to protect prime kitten-rearing territory....even if they are neutered. It doesn't change the instinct. And a new cat would be fine in a bathroom overnight, although better in a larger area during the day.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – TheCatSite Articles

These will give you the basics, and we can fine-tune for you once you have chosen a new sibling for your baby!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All the time. As I rescue, it has often had to work out almost immediately because of a life and death situation. I think that your combination of Tessa with this sweet little Siamese boy sounds as if it has great potential. The male/female mix is often easier, as was stated before. With proper introductions, this should go fine and the little boy will have a great new home.