Advice On Foster Failing

theycallmechristmas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but I need advice. I've been fostering cats and kittens for years now, and I've never kept any of them. Now I find myself thinking about it because of a little calico named Carrot. I've been angsting over whether or not it's appropriate for me to keep her. Here's some information about our situation: my husband and I live in one side of a duplex, my parents in the other. We pay rent to them but they aren't, technically speaking, our landlords. They aren't in favor of us adding a cat, but won't do anything about it if we do. They have some room for an opinion however because two of my cats like to "vacation" on their side of the duplex. To answer all basic questions; yes, we can financially, physically, and emotionally handle another cat (bringing our number up to 5). My question is, is 5 cats too many even if you know you have the resources to provide for them? Thanks in advance for any input!!

Attachments

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My question is, is 5 cats too many even if you know you have the resources to provide for them?
In my opinion, no, there is no specific number someone can say is "too many". If you are willing and able to properly care for all of your pets, you don't have too many, regardless of the actual number. Remember to account for possible changes in your situation though - if you suddenly had less money, more people in the house, or a smaller home, what would happen to your cats?

Also, many cities do have a legal limit on the number of pets that can be kept in one house. You may want to find out if there is a limit where you live.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many is too many cats? It is always one more than you have...
Exactly; after that, you're one cat over the line. I have ten, and it's exactly the right number for me. @Willowy has twenty-two, I believe; Norachan Norachan has twenty-three, and JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia has something on the order of fifty (?) if I recall correctly.

As long as there aren't any strains placed upon one's material resources, and financial obligations are met without worry or regret, I (solely personal opinion here) don't see the harm in having five cats - nor fifty cats - nor five hundred cats for that matter, assuming that one had sufficient reliable staff to care for them well, and sufficient space in which to house them in comfort. Everyone who takes on the rôle of steward to animals makes of them the recipients of crazy old Karl's single-sentence manifasto: "...from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." Cats need; those who have the resources - whether from a sense of obligation or a simple desire for Loving companionship - provide.

Welcome to TCS, theycallmechristmas theycallmechristmas - and to the beautiful Carrot: congratulations on your new home, and your new Family.

;)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, smaller numbers are for me these days. I have 4 cats, 4 guinea pigs, and 3 little parrots. I've had more cats before and I prefer it this way with all the medical problems they've been having. I also used to keep 12 or 13 guinea pigs at a time and I want less, but Lily had a litter of girls when I adopted her. I'm just not up for it. I'm not in my twenties anymore and I'm not pulling in $2,000 a month like I used to.

If you can do it and it's not causing anyone friction and you fell in love then get the fifth kitty. Don't let someone tell you how many is too many... that's up to you.
My cousin asked me if I thought he had too many bowling balls. He has over 100. They make him happy. I told him you can't have too many bowling balls.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think this decision is best left up to your resident cats.

:)

Do they get along well with Carrot? Are they all getting the attention they deserve? If you have the time to invest in an extra cat, which I think is more important than space/finances, and your cats are all in agreement then I'd keep her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theycallmechristmas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this decision is best left up to your resident cats.

:)

Do they get along well with Carrot? Are they all getting the attention they deserve? If you have the time to invest in an extra cat, which I think is more important than space/finances, and your cats are all in agreement then I'd keep her.
All of my current 4 cats get along with her except for my original female, who is very temperamental to begin with. She hisses at all cats besides her brother, but I don't think there's much to do about that. The other two females groom and play with Carrot though. Thanks for the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theycallmechristmas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exactly; after that, you're one cat over the line. I have ten, and it's exactly the right number for me. @Willowy has twenty-two, I believe; Norachan Norachan has twenty-three, and JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia has something on the order of fifty (?) if I recall correctly.

As long as there aren't any strains placed upon one's material resources, and financial obligations are met without worry or regret, I (solely personal opinion here) don't see the harm in having five cats - nor fifty cats - nor five hundred cats for that matter, assuming that one had sufficient reliable staff to care for them well, and sufficient space in which to house them in comfort. Everyone who takes on the rôle of steward to animals makes of them the recipients of crazy old Karl's single-sentence manifasto: "...from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." Cats need; those who have the resources - whether from a sense of obligation or a simple desire for Loving companionship - provide.

Welcome to TCS, theycallmechristmas theycallmechristmas - and to the beautiful Carrot: congratulations on your new home, and your new Family.

;)
Thank you so much for the advice, you provided a lot of clarity!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ For me it's a feeling of responsibility. A cat comes to my yard pregnant and stays because she is safe. Then before I can get to her the litter has been born. Of course I round them up and in the house they go . I get very attached to these "little Devils" and it is not easy to find a good home to adopt them . And basically that is how I became 'The Cat Man' living in the House of Cats ! :catrub: