Advice on Egyptian Maus

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 2 young Maus we got from a local breeder and we did some reading but we would like some more information on them, anything, because we are always willing to learn!! Any advice?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked of the CFA or TICA websites?

I know we have a few breeders who will hopefully have more info for you..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have but I was wondering if there was any previous owners on here or breeders that might be willing to give me more the inside scoop if you know what I mean?

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On this board, both myself and FerrisCat breed and show Maus. Not sure what we can tell you beyond what you can read online. You can visit the Global Egyptian Mau Society page, and that will give you a lot of information regarding their history and what is currently being shown.

Also, your breeder should remain a good source of information for you over the years.

I currently have four Maus and have two litters coming up, will see what we get and I will definitely be posting pictures.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How big are they suppose to get? I have found so many different answers, and Loki is only 17 weeks and almost 7 lbs, and is the size of my adult albino Siamese cat Banshee.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are a medium sized cat, but I think they are relatively small compared to most domestic cats you would find in a shelter. I find that most pure bred cats, other than the obvious ones like the Maine Coone, are smaller than you'd see out on the street.

Mine are between 7-8 lbs.

It really depends on where you get them from as well. Different breeders will produce different outcomes. Does the breeder you chose show her cats?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see from your profile one is listed as a Mau and the other a Mau x Ragdoll.

Did you get pedigree papers with the cat who's meant to be a full Mau? He seems rather large for a full breed.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think, if you got your Maus from a breeder who allowed his cats to interbreed with Ragdolls, that you really won't be able to tell what you are going to get until they are grown. Who knows if they are mixed breeds or not?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi WiccanKittyLove,

Sohni and I both breed and exhibit Egyptian Mau cats. We are members of the CFA Egyptian Mau Breed Council as well as breed clubs. I took a look at your kitties, and I am really sorry to say that Loki and Bastet do not look like Egyptian Maus. Bastet has a white bib, and the current Egyptian Mau standard does not allow for any spots of white other than what would occur within their spotted tabby patterns. This does not make them any less special! But unless they have registration papers from CFA or TICA that prove they are Egyptian Maus, the breeder who sold you those cats should have never called them that.

Would you mind privately messaging me some more information on the breeder and pet shop?

Egyptian Maus are a moderately sized breed. When kept at a healthy weight, females should be 6-8 lbs and males should be 8-10 lbs.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I see from your profile one is listed as a Mau and the other a Mau x Ragdoll.

Did you get pedigree papers with the cat who's meant to be a full Mau? He seems rather large for a full breed.
Yes I do with Loki, the breeder was seeing what the combination of his two breeds would be like when he breed Bastet. Even the vet says Loki is big but he thinks its because he was a bottle baby and always given anything he wants etc etc

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got your PM, but I was unable to reply. You might want to change your settings so that you can receive PMs.

I've had to bottle-feed a number of litters, and at maturity, all cats were within the weight range I mentioned earlier. 7 lbs at 4 months is huge for an Egyptian Mau, even one who is overfed.
I have some kittens who are the same age as Loki and they are weighing in at about 4 lbs.

Would you mind sharing what the papers say? And what registry are they from? For example, are they CFA or TICA? All answers in a PM, of course. [removed email] Just trying to help you get to the root of the mystery here! Those papers can help me a lot in answering your questions
If I know the parents of Loki, I can give you a better answer. I have an extensive database of Egyptian Mau pedigrees and know the majority of the breeders.

Spotted cats appear in the random population and there are a number of breeds with spots in addition to the Mau. Until I know who his breeder was, I can't say much more.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

I got your PM, but I was unable to reply. You might want to change your settings so that you can receive PMs.

I've had to bottle-feed a number of litters, and at maturity, all cats were within the weight range I mentioned earlier. 7 lbs at 4 months is huge for an Egyptian Mau, even one who is overfed.
I have some kittens who are the same age as Loki and they are weighing in at about 4 lbs.

Would you mind sharing what the papers say? And what registry are they from? For example, are they CFA or TICA? All answers in a PM, of course. You may also email me at [removed email] Just trying to help you get to the root of the mystery here! Those papers can help me a lot in answering your questions
If I know the parents of Loki, I can give you a better answer. I have an extensive database of Egyptian Mau pedigrees and know the majority of the breeders.

Spotted cats appear in the random population and there are a number of breeds with spots in addition to the Mau. Until I know who his breeder was, I can't say much more.
He was a lil known breeder, a small time breeder i should say. We recently moved and i have to find Loki's papers again but i am looking right now actually. But when i find them I will scan them and email them to you. This is my first time dealing with papered kittens, I usually take in what the other people dont want if you can understand that. This is why i wanted to speak with a breeder who actually knows about maus more.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this breeder was "experimenting" in crossing a Mau and a Ragdoll, they are not purebred cats at all. They are mixes and I do hope you didn't pay a lot for these cats. The Ragdolls are pointed cats or pointed/white and Maus are spotted. The Ragdoll probably was a bicolor which accounts for the white on the one "Mau".

But to call them Maus is wrong unless BOTH parents are purebred Maus and not mixes themselves or a cross of a Mau/Ragdoll.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If this breeder was "experimenting" in crossing a Mau and a Ragdoll, they are not purebred cats at all. They are mixes and I do hope you didn't pay a lot for these cats. The Ragdolls are pointed cats or pointed/white and Maus are spotted. The Ragdoll probably was a bicolor which accounts for the white on the one "Mau".

But to call them Maus is wrong unless BOTH parents are purebred Maus and not mixes themselves or a cross of a Mau/Ragdoll.
The one Loki is a pure breed but I'm still looking through our unpacked boxes trying to find his paperwork atm, but he does have them. We knew Bast wasn't a pure, but she is still our lil cuddle buddy none the less.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So which one is supposed to be the Mau - I can't tell from the little pictures. Do you have another picture of Loki?

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its really hard to get a pix of Loki, cause he hates the sound of the camera, and he hardly is ever still, i think i might have one from him sleeping but he woke up earlier. The markings on him looks just like the Maus I've seen online, except that he as one or two full strips on his legs, close to the bottom. Ill try to post the pix of him sleeping if i can.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WiccanKittyLove

He was a lil known breeder, a small time breeder i should say
Ahh but even "lil known breeders" are known of. Especially in rarer breeds.

Regarding photos, I find it helps to have a teaser on hand it helps gets the cats into a nice pose. If he's scared of the noise having the teaser may help distract him.