Advice on creating a nighttime routine with young cat?

marissam16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize for making another post, but I would like some advice on helping my cat adjust to my nighttime routine.

I adopted a beautiful 9-10 month old cat on Sunday and named her Miko!! She is extremely lovey dovey and walks every single step with us the entire time she's awake. We don't mind it at all and give her lots of attention, kisses, toys, etc.. she is a very well behaved girl and doesn't destroy or try to claw up furniture. We let her jump up on tables and countertops since we don't mind and it must be fun for her. I always make sure to put up plants/important things/other stuff/etc. in places she cannot reach so she can never get into trouble when getting on tables/countertops.

I have never owned a cat this young and as a very anxious person, I am constantly anxious and worried 24/7. She is so sweet and lovey so I feel bad not giving her my attention at all times that she is awake. I don't know what 9-10 month old cats act like and what is normal for them. I was so used to having mellow older cats who slept and were way less active. I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of energy she has and don't mind changing what I do a bit and playing more to accommodate her needs. However, I would like to keep my normal evening/night routine. I usually begin laying down in my bed and relaxing/chilling at 7pm and going to bed at 9pm. I cannot properly sleep knowing she is getting up or walking around because I feel so guilty and bad for not giving her attention so I just stay up. When I do lay down to try to rest, she walks all over me and attacks my feet under the covers. I absolutely adore her love but when I'm closing my eyes to sleep, it's very startling and wakes me up. I never get mad or say "no" in a firm voice, I just set her gently to the side on a blanket and she curls up there... until she sees my feet under the blankets.

I've seen people suggest shutting my door when I'm going to sleep but I feel so guilty.. it feels wrong. Luckily, she would only be alone for 2-3 hours because my Dad comes home late and my Mom wakes up really early.. so she has someone home at all times usually but I get to be the last person to see her before bed and feel so guilty for sleeping and shutting my door. The only other time she'd be alone for a bit is in the mornings around 5-8 am or 3-5 am.. I know cats are independent and sleep a lot, but I feel so bad she has to be alone for any period of time. Would she eventually adjust and just nap/sleep when she is alone and nobody is up? Luckily she isn't alone for long but I still feel upset. :( There will be days too of course where I have the day off and my family does too, and 2 or all 3 of us wanna leave to go shop or hang out for a little bit. I feel guilty even leaving my house to go shop or do my normal things like walk a the park for exercise. :bawling2:

It's only night 2 of me being alone with her at night and trying to figure out how I should go to bed, but I don't know if I should just keep my normal routine or change it a bit? I don't wanna do a different routine, have her get used to it, then change it back to normal later and her be confused. I am just struggling on how to cope with shutting the door when I sleep and not feel guilty. My anxious brain never quits and it's been so hard for me. I make it a much bigger deal than it needs to me (if you can't tell by the length of this post).

Would it be alright to keep the door cracked while I am in bed and resting and then shut the door when I turn everything off and sleep? I'd love to eventually have sleep near/with me, but she keeps climbing on me and attacking my feet whenever I move. Any suggestions on mentally/physically draining toys that can help her burn some energy?? And things perfect/okay to leave out at night in the rest of the house for her to play with if she is awake?

I have a scratching post, cat beds, and a cat tower on the way from Chewy. I will go to the store tomorrow after work (part-time) to pick up toys and things to help me rest easier at night knowing she has more things to play with.

I know this post might sounds a tad bit crazy, but I love her so much and just want her to be happy here. She's gotten comfortable with our house super quick even though it's only been 2 days. She still walks around and explores of course.

One last question, will she be this energetic forever? I don't know how long kittens still have their kitten energy and when it slowly begins changing. With her being almost 10 months, I am unsure of how she should be acting, what phase she is in, if she's okay to be by herself (in a safe cat proofed home.. nothing dangerous), etc.. I am definitely enjoying her energetic self but it is so different and new to me. We are still getting used to having a new member and I am sure she is still getting used to things as well as it's only day 2.

I attached some pictures of her as well!! I love her so much. Any advice on anything helps and soothes my anxiety.

Attachments

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for making another post, but I would like some advice on helping my cat adjust to my nighttime routine.

I adopted a beautiful 9-10 month old cat on Sunday and named her Miko!! She is extremely lovey dovey and walks every single step with us the entire time she's awake. We don't mind it at all and give her lots of attention, kisses, toys, etc.. she is a very well behaved girl and doesn't destroy or try to claw up furniture. We let her jump up on tables and countertops since we don't mind and it must be fun for her. I always make sure to put up plants/important things/other stuff/etc. in places she cannot reach so she can never get into trouble when getting on tables/countertops.

I have never owned a cat this young and as a very anxious person, I am constantly anxious and worried 24/7. She is so sweet and lovey so I feel bad not giving her my attention at all times that she is awake. I don't know what 9-10 month old cats act like and what is normal for them. I was so used to having mellow older cats who slept and were way less active. I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of energy she has and don't mind changing what I do a bit and playing more to accommodate her needs. However, I would like to keep my normal evening/night routine. I usually begin laying down in my bed and relaxing/chilling at 7pm and going to bed at 9pm. I cannot properly sleep knowing she is getting up or walking around because I feel so guilty and bad for not giving her attention so I just stay up. When I do lay down to try to rest, she walks all over me and attacks my feet under the covers. I absolutely adore her love but when I'm closing my eyes to sleep, it's very startling and wakes me up. I never get mad or say "no" in a firm voice, I just set her gently to the side on a blanket and she curls up there... until she sees my feet under the blankets.

I've seen people suggest shutting my door when I'm going to sleep but I feel so guilty.. it feels wrong. Luckily, she would only be alone for 2-3 hours because my Dad comes home late and my Mom wakes up really early.. so she has someone home at all times usually but I get to be the last person to see her before bed and feel so guilty for sleeping and shutting my door. The only other time she'd be alone for a bit is in the mornings around 5-8 am or 3-5 am.. I know cats are independent and sleep a lot, but I feel so bad she has to be alone for any period of time. Would she eventually adjust and just nap/sleep when she is alone and nobody is up? Luckily she isn't alone for long but I still feel upset. :( There will be days too of course where I have the day off and my family does too, and 2 or all 3 of us wanna leave to go shop or hang out for a little bit. I feel guilty even leaving my house to go shop or do my normal things like walk a the park for exercise. :bawling2:

It's only night 2 of me being alone with her at night and trying to figure out how I should go to bed, but I don't know if I should just keep my normal routine or change it a bit? I don't wanna do a different routine, have her get used to it, then change it back to normal later and her be confused. I am just struggling on how to cope with shutting the door when I sleep and not feel guilty. My anxious brain never quits and it's been so hard for me. I make it a much bigger deal than it needs to me (if you can't tell by the length of this post).

Would it be alright to keep the door cracked while I am in bed and resting and then shut the door when I turn everything off and sleep? I'd love to eventually have sleep near/with me, but she keeps climbing on me and attacking my feet whenever I move. Any suggestions on mentally/physically draining toys that can help her burn some energy?? And things perfect/okay to leave out at night in the rest of the house for her to play with if she is awake?

I have a scratching post, cat beds, and a cat tower on the way from Chewy. I will go to the store tomorrow after work (part-time) to pick up toys and things to help me rest easier at night knowing she has more things to play with.

I know this post might sounds a tad bit crazy, but I love her so much and just want her to be happy here. She's gotten comfortable with our house super quick even though it's only been 2 days. She still walks around and explores of course.

One last question, will she be this energetic forever? I don't know how long kittens still have their kitten energy and when it slowly begins changing. With her being almost 10 months, I am unsure of how she should be acting, what phase she is in, if she's okay to be by herself (in a safe cat proofed home.. nothing dangerous), etc.. I am definitely enjoying her energetic self but it is so different and new to me. We are still getting used to having a new member and I am sure she is still getting used to things as well as it's only day 2.

I attached some pictures of her as well!! I love her so much. Any advice on anything helps and soothes my anxiety.
Sounds like Miko is a normal energetic kitten. Maybe you or someone else could play with her one on one before You head for bed. Try too tire her out. Most kittens slow down a little after their spayed. As far to keeping the door open a crack. She may get upset then meow or claw the door wanting to be near you in the bedroom .

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The longer she is there, the better she will get to know the whole house, and the routines of everyone in it. You'll be surprised at how well she adapts to that. She may choose to nap with you for a part of the night, then go keep your dad company when he gets home, nap some more, then go "help" your mom get her day started! Just give her time.

And don't be afraid to let her know that attacking your feet under the covers is not appreciated. You can simply hiss at her, if you want to. That's exactly what another cat would do!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About half an hour before bed, get out a wand toy and play with her. Really get her going, dragging it up and down furniture and slowly pulling it around corners for her to stalk and chase. If you're having trouble, there are videos on YouTube on how to play with your cat. You may also have to experiment a bit to find what she likes to chase. A lot of cats like feathers, but mine doesn't, she likes a stuffed toy or fuzzy tail attachment. After she plays, give her some food and she'll probably go to sleep.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I excluded my kitten from my room when I first got her, because I wasn't sure I could deal with her in my room, interrupting my sleep. Once she got used to the house, I started letting her in, but I immediately removed her if/when she got rambunctious. I did feel a little bad, but I need my sleep (and it helps that she has a soft meow so I couldn't hear her crying).

Eventually, she either calmed down a little or got the idea that if she wanted to stay in the bedroom, she had to act calm. Now she sleeps with me no problem.

However... not all night. She'll often play in the other room while I'm getting ready for bed / falling asleep and I wake up to find her curled up next to me. Or I will find toys on the bed which she has clearly brought in during the middle of the night. So I wouldn't expect Miko to bed down with you from 9pm onward. She'll still probably want to do her own thing for part of the night.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats are all really good about bedtime. Sometimes they start yelling me when I've been up too late or break routine. :doh2:

I'd basically agree with everything everyone else has said. Having a bedtime routine that your cat sees as a signal really helps. Dinner and play session before bedtime routine helps. Making sure you keep the bed a calm zone and don't respond to attempts to play help. And definitely expect your cat to periodically get up at night but don't feel guilty.

I am pretty sure Rocket sleeps through the night mostly at least. That girl is a slow to wake a deep sleeper. I've woken up and checked her to make sure she's breathing or she grumbles when I get up in the morning. She might get up in the night though. Link on the other hand I know gets up in the night. I call it his patrols and usually wake up to scattered toys and other signs of his activity. His caterpillar toys especially are signs because he puts them at every door and window during the night; his sentinels.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has articles that may help:

How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Mystery objects moving under a blanket (aka your feet / body) is prime target to be pounced on. Cats think it's something fun to play with. If it bothers you, discourage it right away and keep reinforcing that until the cat learns to not pounce on your body.

Establish a bedtime routine so the cat learns that when you go to bed, she has to be quiet. My cats learned from an early age that they have to go to sleep when I do. It's ok for them to play with quiet toys (balls, stuffed toys) but not bounce off the walls. Cats will get up at night to just walk around, explore a bit, use the litter box, eat, etc. That's normal. Once they're done they usually go back to sleep.

A daily routine also helps. My cats know that they are not allowed in the bedroom when I go to work or will be out for more than an hour. So yes, it's perfectly ok to not allow a cat into a room for a certain amount of time.

Most cats settle down at a year old or so. Some will continue to bounce off the walls with energy well into adult hood. One of my cats is like this but it's also due to him being a super energetic breed :doh:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would advise to play with her as much as possible to tire her out, get her running around like crazy with a wand toy. She has only been with you for 2 days and I think she will adjust in time.

Tell her no, hiss etc. if she jumps on your feet, now is the time to let her know what is not ok. Each cat is different, some can be very energetic longer than kitten hood but most calm down after spay/ neuter and at a year or so. My guys still run a round like crazy with each other at 2-5 years. Quinn, a pb siamese has a very high energy level, as a kitten he was a little monster/ angel and he is still pretty high energy at 5 or so but less so now compared to then. He needs to be occupied with things and monitors nearly everything/ supervises etc. siamese are like the border collies of cats.

It helps if they have a companion to play with when people are out etc. No one can pay attention to their cat(s) 24/7, the cats adjust and most like time to themselves also.

She is a cutie 😻

Last edited:

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hey Marissa,
First, I will just say, with all due respect, I think you're obsessing over your cat way too much. I've done it, too, and it's stressful for everyone involved. It's totally natural to love your pet almost as much as you'd love your own children, but if you've ever experienced how it feels to deal with an obsessed, clingy human or animal, you will realize that it's emotionally draining.

I don't intend to be mean saying this. I see that you love your animals and want to do rightly and that is good.

Cats are very sensitive to change. I try to be both consistent and not consistent with my cat Boaz, LOL. I don't know if I'm doing it all right, but my reasoning is that Boaz needs to know what to expect and what's acceptable and not acceptable, but he also needs to understand that he can't always get what he wants and he needs to respect that.

One day, Yahuah-willing, I'm going to have a husband and children of my own, other animals and a house to run and perhaps a part-time business. My cat needs to understand that I love him dearly and nothing will replace him. That means not showering him with an enormous amount of love early on only to pay little attention to him when I have more people, animals, and responsibilities to account for.

It's much easier for cats to accept change when as little as possible of what they're used to changes.

Now, as for the present difficulty: Do you know if your cat was a solitary kitten for any period (being without the company of other kittens)? Kittens growing up without other kittens are rendered a serious blow to developing proper social skills with other cats AND humans. Having another kitten around will give each kitten a playmate that can teach the other in a way that only a cat can how to play appropriately and how rough is too rough.

The rough play and the excess energy make me think that she may be a good candidate for sharing your home with a cat buddy. Especially if you're worried that she won't respond well to being alone or being ignored for extended periods of time, having another cat around could be just the aid needed to help burn off her excess energy and give her something else to focus on besides you.

A word of caution: Having a cat buddy is NO SUBSTITUTE for sufficient exercise! Don't think that adding another cat to the group lessens your responsibility. If you don't take time each day to play with the cats with their toys or provide them some other form of exercise, such as leashed walks outside, your cats will start taking out their hunting instinct on each other. Then the cats' relationship will become highly damaged because one cat was never meant to take the place of another cat's prey. There are many benefits to living with two cats or more, but you still need to provide them a way to fulfill their hunting instinct that doesn't involve going after each other.

Best wishes to you and yours!

pawdre

Adventure Kittens
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww Miko is such a cutie!
Simba found me outside at 3 months and we took him in. He was a very energetic kitten, we made sure not to play with him in the bedroom. If he would get up early and start trying to play I usually would have a toy in my pocket and move the play outside the bedroom.

Finally, when he was about 5 months we got him a brother, and it’s really been the best thing. It’s a lot of less work on us to give him attention and they let us sleep in for the most part. They know 8am is their feeding time but they’ll just whine a little. Now the routine is a little different, when it’s time for us to go to sleep; if they’re not ready for bed, they’ll stay up playing with each other running around. Im usually knocked out by the time they’re hopping into bed with us. Simba goes straight to his favorite blanket and Mikey comes to cuddle. Of course, males are a little more playful then girls.

I’ve found that cats really love routine and it’s very helpful to stick to that routine. You do have to draw the line somewhere with you and Miko if she is stepping on you, etc. or those bad habits will follow into her adulthood.

Hope u find any information helpful!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 17 year old cat who sleeps 99% of the time. This winter I got 3 kittens (8-10minths old). I forgot what it’s like to have a kitten, much less 3 of them!!

They have soooooo much energy. They tend to sleep on the bed with me but anytime between 3-5am one wants to play. Which means all 3 want to play. They run like lunatics back and forth in my house, nails sliding across the hardwood floor, slipping into walls.

There are some times that I get up and close my door and go back to sleep. And sometimes I get up and actually start my day. They will have this much energy a few years at least.

every night before bed they get treats so they know it’s bedtime. I shake the container and they each jump on their shelf on the cat tree and wait.

I’m sure you’re a great cat parent don’t overthink it too much

D20BDA5F-3450-47B6-9414-240C29297D84.jpeg