Advice on cat symptoms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pepper's back home now! She looks a little worse for wear, bless her, but she's doing ok. She came home with a collar on but absolutely hated it, so we've taken it off and will keep a close eye on her for wound licking. So far she's shown little to no interest in it (and it is currently covered with a dressing so any contact wouldn't reach the wound) but we have a little onesie arriving tomorrow that'll prevent that more easily. She seems to have a bit of a raspy sort of 'wet' purr that's very sporadic, but since she had a tube down her throat I gather this is likely some mild irritation that'll clear eventually. Her appetite is also a little off at the moment but a bit of reading online suggests this isn't too unusual so I'm not concerned about that. We're taking her back in two days for a check up so we can address that there.

I do have a question about the medication regime, however. We have to continue administering Loxicom once per day (dependant on how much she's eaten) and twice daily doses of Synulox. We also have a new med to give her called Baytril, which needs to be diluted. We were told to prepare 0.6ml solution with a roughly equal amount of water. This may sound like a stupid question but the syringe only holds 1ml of solution so how would we even use it to provide what would be 1.2ml of total solution? Plus, that's a substantially larger dose of medicine than the others we give her (which is difficult enough as is). Does anyone know of any good ways to combine the solution into food or drink that might make it easier? We were told we could do this but that was all.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the bottle of Baytril it should have the strength of the solution in mg/ml. So it sad should read on the label Baytril 22.7mg/ml.
let me know what it is. Also you can call your vet to explain.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn’t give the lexicon at all because it is merlo I am which is Metacam and it can cause kidney failure in cats. It is for pain, I would ask for buprenorphine instead.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On the bottle of Baytril it should have the strength of the solution in mg/ml. So it sad should read on the label Baytril 22.7mg/ml.
let me know what it is. Also you can call your vet to explain.
it doesn't actually have anything like that on the bottle, it just says to give 0.6ml diluted daily and that's all. We've just done it now and let's just say it wasn't pleasant. Some of it dripped onto the bed and the remainder in the container has been soaked into some treats that hopefully she'll eat, but most of it went in. When we take her to be checked over tomorrow I'll take the medicine with me and ask them to administer tomorrow's dose while she's there.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pepper's post-operative check went very well! Her incision is healing well, her temperature is good, and she's behaving exactly as I would call normal. Her eating seems to be improving slightly, and in fact she's put on a bit of weight, so she must be fine. The stitches come out in 8 days and we have to continue the meds until then, but (touch wood) we seem to be past the worst of this now!

CatFriend27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apparently it was quite a big pyometra, so thank god she was seen when she was otherwise I dread to think what the alternative would've been.
I have never heard of such a thing either. Glad to hear the good news!

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me again with a little update (and a question!).

Pepper's been quite good this week, I have to say. It's been a week since her post-op check and she's been in normal spirits all week. She's eating like normal, playing, drinking, using the litter, and waking me up at 4am. Her incision wound looks a healthy pink colour too with no discharge, so that's looking good for her stitches to be removed tomorrow.

Now onto the question. She's had a dressing on the wound all week that the vet applied. I know I probably should've removed this during the week but she absolutely loathed the cone of shame, so the dressing was the only thing stopping her from licking the wound. And it's been fine until today when the little cow removed it by herself. So now I've applied a less strong dressing over the top until tomorrow so she can't rip the stitches out overnight (they're external and look quite easy for her to reach). But since her operation was 10 days ago and her wound looks to have healed well, should I be worrying myself silly that she might get at the wound overnight and do some damage, or should it have healed enough by now to basically be fine?

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The stitches have come out as of today! I won't lie, even though I know she can lick and nibble herself to her heart's content, I still have to fight every instinct I have to intervene when she does. I've spent so long obsessively preventing her from touching the wound that it's gonna take a while to get used to having it exposed and chewed at! But the meds are finished, the surgery's over, and she's eating and drinking like normal, so I don't know what else to expect from her tbh.

In all, I'm sincerely hoping this is the end of this whole stressful experience. And once again, I want to thank everybody for your help, patience, and sympathies during the whole thing. Hopefully this thread might serve someone else well in future who finds themselves at the mercy of the dreaded pyometra.