Advice on cat-sitters/what to do when I'm out of town

musicalcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for some advice on what is best for my boy while I'm out of town. In the past when I've left town for a few days I either bring him with me (when visiting family or friends) or leave him with a trusted cat-loving friend where we've visited before and he's stayed a couple times (when I'm on business trips). My usual sitter is on vacation at the same time as my next business trip and I'll be gone longer than usual, Monday-Friday. I have a few options:

1. Leave him with another friend who has a male cat...we visited tonight and my Friedrich was fine but her cat was very anxious and did a lot of growling and hissing. Friedrich doesn't know this friend nearly as well as my usual sitter and has only been to her house this one time. I'm afraid of how the 2 cats will interact when left alone or unsupervised. This friend will be home much of the time.

2. Leave him at home (alone) and have my sister stop by once or twice a day to feed and play with him. He'd be comfortable but lonely.

3. Leave him at my sister's house: she has a small dog and he and Friedrich have been around each other quite a bit...they aren't snuggle buddies or anything but they tolerate one another and don't fight. My sister will not be home as much as my friend.

What are your thoughts? Which of these options seems best for Friedrich?

I would really appreciate some advice!!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me with my kitties, and every cat is different, I would leave him at home with your sister coming in twice a day.  I know it seems like the more cruel choice but kitties are creatures of habit.  He will be in familiar surroundings.  Adult cats usually don't get along right away, it takes a while with a slow introduction.  He would probably end up in a room by himself at your friends house because of the other kitty.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, I want to say that Friedrich seems like a really outgoing cat and I admire that. My cats are savages compared to him, they don't really enjoy the company of others but me and my bf - humans or animals.

However, I second the opinion of him staying at home, especially if your sister could come by twice a day. It is his home and he wouldn't be an intruder in another cat's or dog's territory.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd choose #2 because cats' territory is so terribly important to them. You risk Friedrich running out the door if he's staying at another place, or rebelling by not eating or not using the litter box. He might be upset not only because you are gone, but he's in a strange environment with other animals around, too, and he might feel pretty abandoned.

In the #1 option, it sounds like your friend may start having problems with her cat acting out if Friedrich stays there, and you really don't want to bring that on anyone. The #3 option is not great because leaving your kitty with a dog, however friendly when people are around, might be different when the animals are alone all day.

I vote keep Friedrich safe at home. A little boredom is better than the stress of being in other animals' territory. IMO. Hope it works out! 

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to go slightly against the grain here.

IF the cat is accustomed to traveling in general, and IF the cat has been left at other people's homes before, and IF the cat is actually accustomed to your sister's dog, I'd say go with option 3.

a) It will be a bit easier on your sister not to have to make a special trip

b) Kitty will benefit from more time with a human when she is home

c) Kitty will not be "lonely", as even the dog will provide some semblance of "company".

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely leave him in his familiar home surroundings with a sitter visiting each day. That''s what we do when we go away. Most cats don't adapt to changes easily. Years ago when we had our first cat, Boots, we went away for a few days and left him at a friends house, who had cats. We foolishly thought this would be best, but Boots spent the entire time under the bed. Our friends had to bring him his food and serve him under the bed. That's the last time we ever left him at someone else's house

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we travel I have friends come over to my house and check on my cats.  One of my friends is not even a true cat person but he helped us out one time at the last minute when we lost a cat-sitter when some friends got divorced. He may not be a cat person but he spends time with our cats.  He fed my seniors twice a day and stayed and gave them attention when they were done eating.

My other friend is a true cat person and she will come over and feed that cats and spend a ton of time with them.  She also takes on the litter box duties for us.  My cats are very used to this person and will visit her when she comes over.  She used to take showers for one of my cats because he was a water baby (R.I.P. Claude). 

One of my cats will not let anyone near her besides us.  She does not approach anyone but my friend does know where her hiding places are and will check them to make sure she is ok.

I think that the best option is to have your sister come and check on your baby 2x a day.  Perhaps have her come over and spend some time around your baby while you are home so that the cat feels more comfortable around her when you are gone.

Both of my friends are over at my house when we are home too.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicalcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your advice! Although Friedrich is very social and accustomed to traveling, after reading your thoughts I think it'll be best to have my sister stop by and feed and play with him. Even if it's once a day, I feel like he can entertain himself well, will sleep much of the time anyway, and will appreciate being in his comfortable home. Obviously I would prefer to just be home with him but I can't so I hope I'm making the best choice for him given the circumstances.

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat should stay in your home - the one question I have is will your sister be able to drop by to feed at your normal feeding times and stay to play with your cats.  Dropping in at anytime to feed will disrupt their routine and they can lead to issues.  I have a cat Nanny that takes care of my girls when I am out of town, she feeds, cleans the litter box, takes in the mail and spends quality with the cats at her visits 2x a day.  I also get little report cards of what they did, etc.  

I thought about having a friend stop by and do this for me (initially) but you just never know if they might forget, or go in a midnight because they "forgot" about it, there are just so many issues that can occur and the cat will suffer because of it - even well meaning friends, relatives can easily forget or figure what's a few hours difference in feeding a cat?  Cats need companionship and it drives me crazy how some people fill a bowl with a lot of kibble, fill water dishes to the top and go away for the weekend - there are too many variables that aren't considered.