Advice on Cat Litter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After having cats forever, I can't believe I'm asking for advice on cat litter. I've been buying Tidy Cat scoopable for a long time now, but I think they must have changed the formula. There's so much dust coming from it anymore that I can barely breathe! I don't have covered boxes and can't use them; my back issues make it too difficult for me to use covered boxes.

Having 6 cats I go thru a lot of litter and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it. Even if I can mix a different litter with the Tidy Cat to help cut down on the dust it would be a good thing. So, I'm wondering what low-dust, not-too-expensive litter other people use.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's precious cat multi-cat scoopable and find it really low on dust (I have allergies, so this is a big one for me). I believe we pay around $14 for a 40 lb bag.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use worlds best, and at first I was like WTH am I dropping this much money on something they are just going to poop on?! And then that bag lasted me well over 3 months with every other day scooping. The stuff last forever!
Although I know a lot of people use non-medicated chick feed instead and seem to like it alot! I think I may try it next time!

We ran out of litter last week and just needed something to get through and were at walmart whose litter section is rather lacking, and I just grabbed a natural pine kind expecting it to be like the corn litters, its like sawdust! AND ITS EVERYWHERE! GAH! NEVER EVER BUY IT!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We changed to Swheat Scoop after we adopted Tophel because our regular clay litter made his eyes runny and he'd sneeze like crazy after using the litter box. Swheat Scoop doesn't have much dust (NO clay dust) and no perfumes. We're very happy with it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went from clay litter because of the odour, tried Sweat Scoop but found it much too dusty (the litter pan was close to my dark furniture and the dust was awful), then went to World's Best Cat Litter for Multiple cats and I love it. I'm kitty sitting for a neighbour this week and they use Maxx - it's awful. It's heavy and the odour is terrible even with twice daily scooping. I've mentiioned WBCL to them but apparently she doesn't like it. I guess she must just be used to the smell from her cat's litter boxes.

Bijou's litter box is on one side of my bed and I never smell it. I've asked my honest friends if they smell any litter and they assure me they do not.

As someone else said, it is pricey, but it lasts so long that you end up paying less for it than the cheaper litters in the long term.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After many years of members telling me about wood pellets I finally broke down and did it. I started with Feline Pine (non clump) and once I knew they liked it/tolerated it, I bought 30lbs wood pellets from a nursery/feed store. You have to care for the litter more than with scoopable but it's cheaper and cleaner.

ETA:30lbs=$6.50
Feline Pine $4 for 7lbs, $10 for the next size(10?)

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree and recommend going organic, and I'm far from a tree hugger.

Clay contains silica dust which is a known carcinogen if inhaled (exposing not just yourself, but most definitely your cat scratching in it) and all I have seen have been extremely dusty, contains sodium bentonite as a clumping agent which is insoluble and is unavoidable for the cat to ingest quite a bit over time, it contributes to strip mining operations since its found in the top layers which absolutely devastates the landscape and should be minimized as much as possible, and the litter will ultimately never biodegrade in the landfill.

Swheat Scoop Multicat clumping strength is our favorite, but another great one is World's Best made from corn, and Feline Pine has a new clumping formula that I've heard good things about. It seems expensive but the Swheat Scoop at least lasts forever in my experiences, its literally edible so no concerns with a bit being licked off fur and toes, its renewable year after year, fully biodegradable (can even be flushed down the toilet), great odor control, and there's much less dust and the bit produced isn't harmful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll get to the pet store this weekend (instead of Wal Mart) and see if I can find World's Best. Honestly, this dust is going to kill me!

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in love with Swheat Scoop! I swapped to it about 2 months ago and it is truly the best litter I have ever used!

I never EVER get the unpleasant whiff of kitty pee. EVER.
There is no dust. EVER.
It doesn't track around my house as bad as clay litter either - and doesn't hurt as much if you step on it LOL

The only downside is it does NOT cover poo smell unless the kitty covers it well - and my kitty slacks in that department. I can deal with that though - a well timed scoop solves that problem. Good bye dust, good bye pee smell...

ALSO my kitty loves it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to stick with Tidy Cats, the Small Spaces kind has a lot less dust (and a better scent, IMO). It costs a bit more but not that much.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

If you want to stick with Tidy Cats, the Small Spaces kind has a lot less dust (and a better scent, IMO). It costs a bit more but not that much.
I actually found a different Tidy Cat at WalMart yesterday that is "supposed" to be 99% dust free. It cost a couple of dollars more than the regular stuff, too. I bought one just to see and when I poured it into one of the litter boxes I didn't get a face full of dust
That alone was fabulous! The cats are using it just fine, which is also fabulous. Guess we'll see how it goes for a week or 2. If I'm not happy with this product, I'll definitely find some World's Best Litter and give it a try.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats absolutely hated world's best cat litter. I use either fresh step or scoop away clumping litter. When i switched to world's best, they would not use the litter. Plus in my opinion it smells funny....

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

My cats absolutely hated world's best cat litter. I use either fresh step or scoop away clumping litter. When i switched to world's best, they would not use the litter. Plus in my opinion it smells funny....
I agree it smells funny. I have never heard of cats not liking Worlds Best Cat Litter, so thank you for teaching me something
! For what it is worth I just use Walmart's brand called Special Kitty.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

Actually, the lady I kitty sit for also did not like WBCL because she said she didn't like the smell. Her SO loved it. When I sat for her this past week, I could barely stand the smell in her utility room where she keeps her litter boxes. I've used WBCL so long now that I'm not used to having litter smell in my apartment.

She came down to get her key from me and I took her to my bedroom where I have my litter box beside my bed. She was amazed at how there was no smell from my litter box and has decided to give WBCL another try. It does have a "corn" smell when you first put it in the box but after a day that smell seems to go away.

Also, when you change litters you should never just substitute one for the other. New litter should be added gradually, increasing the new litter each time until you have completely changed over to the new one. By changing it over completely in one change many cats will refuse to use a new litter since it is unfamiliar to them.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Actually, the lady I kitty sit for also did not like WBCL because she said she didn't like the smell. Her SO loved it. When I sat for her this past week, I could barely stand the smell in her utility room where she keeps her litter boxes. I've used WBCL so long now that I'm not used to having litter smell in my apartment.

She came down to get her key from me and I took her to my bedroom where I have my litter box beside my bed. She was amazed at how there was no smell from my litter box and has decided to give WBCL another try. It does have a "corn" smell when you first put it in the box but after a day that smell seems to go away.

Also, when you change litters you should never just substitute one for the other. New litter should be added gradually, increasing the new litter each time until you have completely changed over to the new one. By changing it over completely in one change many cats will refuse to use a new litter since it is unfamiliar to them.
I did introduce it gradually but 3 out of my 4 refused to use it. I love Scoop away clumping. I have 4 cat litters throughout my home and it does not smell at all. But i also have enclosed cat litters. My SO hates WBCL also so that was the end anyway lol.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Really? I've never read that...thank goodness my cats aren't picky because usually I buy a different kind everytime I buy it

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mixed the new Tidy Cat with the old Tidy Cat and the kids haven't had a problem with it. Why in the world would a company make half a dozen different formulas of litter and only market 1 or 2 as 'dust-free'? Makes no sense to me. I really can tell the difference in the amount of dust in the air already. Can't wait until it's completely switched over to the new litter.
BTW, I'm very sensitive to smells, too (as someone else mentioned); I wouldn't like the smell of corn in my house at all.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Fresh Step clumping littler. The only time I have dust issues is when I first put it in the letter box, after that there is never a problem. I have tried so many different litter and always seem to go back to FS. I can get a 45lb container of it at BJ's for 14$
. You would never know I had a cat, smell free!

Did you ever try wearing a mask when scooping and changing the litter?