Advice On A Seroma Post-spay

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone,

My kitten Athena developed a seroma about a week after she was spayed. The clinic removed scar tissue, adipose, and fluid, then sealed her up again. They said her internal incision was intact and healing well, but they also put her on a week of Clavamox to be safe.

A few days after the second surgery, the seroma returned, but it only contained fluid this time. The clinic now recommended a few days of icing, then a week of a warm compress to see if the swelling would go down on its own. It's about the size of a large walnut, and it hasn't noticeably changed in size since its appearance. It was squishy on the first day, but it firmed up after that and remained that way.

The vet believes that the seroma is a reaction to the internal dissolvable stitches. I was told that if the seroma has not resolved by this Saturday, they would open her up again and replace the original stitches with staples, which would obviously have to be removed later on during a fourth surgery.

Her internal and external incisions are healing beautifully, and she's as happy as she ever was, except for not being allowed to wrestle or have any unsupervised time with her brother.

I really, really don't want her to have two more surgeries.

What is your experience with seromas? Did they resolve on their own, and how long did it take?

Any advice is appreciated. I will obviously talk to the vet before making any decisions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read online that seromas can take up to a month to reabsorb, and that a nonsurgical option is draining, if it's not getting better or getting bigger. I'm not sure why the vet didn't say anything about this and is so quick to jump to surgery. I'm not even paying for any of the treatment, so they're not trying to get more money out of me.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had an adult spay react to her internal dissolvable stitches by developing large lumps under the skin. I don't know if these lumps were seromas. My vet examined her and told me that it is normal for some cats to react to the internal stitches. She just had me wait for it to resolve on its own and it eventually did, although it took a while.