Advice on a Long Trip with My Cat...

grandbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read the 'traveling with cats' article, but still have some questions.

We will be moving from one coast to the other, which means a few days traveling. Mt cat will be 7 when we move. He is on the 'large' size and is not a cat that plays with toys, cat trees, etc. He pretty much goes out sometimes and then sleeps!

I will probably have our dog in the car as wel. They get along fine. I will have the cat in a cage and one of my questions is should he be in a carrier type cage, where visibilty is limited, or should he be in a wire cage where he can see everything?

We took a trip one time that lasted 15 hours and he didn't eat, drink, poop or pee the whole trip. This time it will take 3-4 days and I am concerned about this issue.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
On trips longer than 4-5 hours I prefer to use a wire cage. However, it's a good idea to cover it with a sheet or light blanket leaving just one side open for viewing. Cats seem to feel more secure that way, plus you can shift the cover around to block the sun. I know cats like to lay in the sun, but it can get really hot coming through the car windows.

Where will you be staying overnight? Hotels, friends' houses, camping? Take the cage inside with you so kitty has a safe place to hide. You can leave the door open while you're in the room. Have the litter box and food ready to set up as soon as you get in the room. My cats don't make a beeline for the litter box, but they generally use it during the night when nobody is looking.

What is your kitty's name?

Good luck with the move.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grandbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. My cat's name is Semper Fi (he was born on the day my daughter graduated from boot camp-she is a Marine!) we call him Semper.

Do you think it would be a good idea to take a few short 'pratice' rides? This will be a long trip and we won't be staying over every night, but when we do, it will be a hotel. I plan on keeping his cage/carrier on the passenger seat. I will probably have a dog with us as well.

When I drive long trips, I kind of drive and take 'cat naps'.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It can't hurt to do some practice rides, especially if you normally only take him to the vet. Get him used to the idea that not all rides end up in a scary place.

It would be safest to have the carrier/cage on the back seat. If you're going to have it on the front passenger seat, make sure your car allows you to disable the air bag. Some of the newer cats automatically disable the airbag if the weight on the passenger seat is under 50#.

Where is your daughter stationed? My niece is a Marine stationed in Okinawa. I was taking care of her cat for about 10 months when she went back overseas for her second tour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grandbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My daughter was at camp Pendleton for 4 years and the last 2 at Miramar (also in S.Cal). She is being sent to Quantico, which is why we are doing west coast to east coast!

I will get one of the wire dog cages and take Semper for a ride every now and then. He has to be in the front seat because I will be driving a small SUV and will have the back seat down for the dog. She is huge and needs all the room she can get! I plan on taking a low plastic container with a top--like the kind that fits under the bed, but not as big. I am going to start him using it before we go and when I put in fresh litter for the trip, I will add a bit of his 'dirty' litter.