Advice On A Cat Losing Weight

miniscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I'm new to this website but I need advice on my cousin's cat who is losing weight and hair.

We just got back from visiting them and I can't stop thinking about their cat, Mouse. She was meowing loudly from outside and since I own a cat myself, I went to check on her immediately. My cousin's mom said she cries when she's hungry and proceeded to ask if the kids fed her to which they responded yes. I decided to let it go for a bit.

She was once again crying early in the morning so I went outside to play with her. The first thing I noticed was how skinny she was... I also noticed her water bowl was really dirty (basically mud water). I cleaned it out, gave her fresh water, and fed her. She quickly ate the food but wouldn't drink her water. I played with her and pet her before I had to leave.

My cousin's mom mentioned she was losing weight and hair so it made think about the cats health until I got home. She used to be an indoor cat before they put her outside so I wondered if it was stress. I also wondered if they weren't taking care of her but they love her so much that I can't imagine that. I'm also worried that maybe she really does have something wrong with her and needs to go to the vet...

Can anyone help me with this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If they haven't taken her to a vet, they need to. Why'd they put her out? They may love her but a filthy water bowl and no breakfast indicates otherwise.

Can you take her?

kurothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism
Typical signs are lots of meowing, and eating a lot but not gaining weight.