Advice Of Insulin Injections Needed

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has been getting insulin shots twice a day for about 2 weeks now. at first he didn’t mind them at all. he would be eating i would inject the insulin and he didn’t even mind. he even came to me when he saw me preparing the syringe. the past 2 days he’s been different. when it’s time for his injection it’s like he knows he starts to eat but watches me carefully and as soon as i bring the needle to his skin he tries to run. if i get someone to hold him he flinched or meows. I’m pulling up the skin and injecting so i know i’m not getting any muscles or veins. i also give him food before and treats after. i’m worried he’s going to begin associating me with the insulin and become distant. Is he in pain or discomfort or just being dramatic and difficult?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't say he's being dramatic and difficult - he just doesn't like being injected. He doesn't need to be in pain to decide enough is enough. From his perspective, he's probably not happy about having his meal times interrupted, either.

The main thing is that I doubt he will become distant with you overall because of the injections. We have members who have to give their cats shots, fluids, and pills and their cats are still very affectionate. They (the cats) just take off when the see the bottles and needles coming out. In his case, he knows that he only gets his shots during meal time so he should still feel "safe" the rest of the time. I'm not saying he definitely won't become more distant - every cat is different- but odds are that he'll be fine.

It sounds like you're handling it very well by taking great care with the injections and giving him a treat afterward. If he'll stand for it, you might also pay extra attention to him by stroking him and rubbing behind the ears - or whatever he likes best.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L le1112 - are you giving the insulin shots in his shoulder or back area?

My last cat had diabetes the last 4 years of her life, and I found it much easier to give the shots in her lateral abdomen (on her side). I'd do it when she ate, like you, but it was easier... as all I'd have to do when she'd start eating was lean over her, quickly take a light pinch of her side skin near the middle of her rib cage/side area, pull it out a bit to make the little "skin tent", then give the sub-q shot of insulin. She barely paid attention to me.

I also only used very short needles -- I used BD Insulin syringes ultra-fine 31gauge needles. That made the shot go in more quickly and safely, in my view. It's like the cat feels nothing (that is, if your insulin isn't too cold).
:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
L le1112 - are you giving the insulin shots in his shoulder or back area?

My last cat had diabetes the last 4 years of her life, and I found it much easier to give the shots in her lateral abdomen (on her side). I'd do it when she ate, like you, but it was easier... as all I'd have to do when she'd start eating was lean over her, quickly take a light pinch of her side skin near the middle of her rib cage/side area, pull it out a bit to make the little "skin tent", then give the sub-q shot of insulin. She barely paid attention to me.

I also only used very short needles -- I used BD Insulin syringes ultra-fine 31gauge needles. That made the shot go in more quickly and safely, in my view. It's like the cat feels nothing (that is, if your insulin isn't too cold).
:goodluck:
I think I will try the shorter needles thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
L le1112

Shorter thinner needless would help.

But what is the name of the insulin? If you are using a U40 pet insulin, those insulin syringes only come as 28 gauge or so.

There is a way to use U100 insulin syringes, which are available in a thin 31 gauge, but you must do the proper conversion of the insulin dose. 1 unit of U40 insulin is not the same as the insulin drawn up to the 1 unit line of a U100 insulin syringe.

Make sure to insert the needle bevel side up. If you do it the other way, it can cause a bitof pain.

You can ask for additional help with injections and managing your diabetic cat at Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB