Advice needed 😞

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Hoping to get some advice about my 3 year old kitty(Domestic Short-haired), She has been to the vets several times regarding this matter but a year on and we are no better off than when it started.
Through the day she is meowing quite loudly for prolonged periods of time, She stops when I go to her but that's only a short lived solution as she will start again, it's quite a high pitched meowing, She also has an issue with compulsive grooming to the point she will cause sore patches and patches of fur been left on the floor.
We have tried everything for vet has suggested, toys, aroma plug in thing(Feliway) sprays, she gets lots of attention through the day as I'm always home but it doesn't seem to be helping.
She isn't bad at night, usually she will cuddle up on my legs on the bed and sleep but through the day it's becoming quite a nightmare.
She has lots of plah sessions with her toys and me through the day but it doesn't seem to help for long.
She has a sister kitty who she plays with occasionally but more often than not she does her own thing.
She also has her own room filled with toys, scratching posts, cat tower, beds, large window to look out of(the door is always open, she's never closed in there).
She's always up to date with her flea treatment, she gets wet food(Hi-Life) every other day and dry biscuits in a feeder all the time, she has several places for water and dry food and also 3 litter trays in different places which are always kept clean with Pet-Fresh disinfectant spray.
Really as a loss on what to do to help her now, she's an indoor kitty(always has been) but she has a very large variety of stimulation toys.
The vet said it could be caused by Stress or allergies(but allergies wouldn't explain the prolonged meowing throughout the day), she has had lots of tests done at the vets and they can't seem to pin point the cause of the over grooming(causing sore patches) and small clumps of fur been found.

Any advice at all would be amazing, think I've covered everything but please feel free to ask anything as I am currently feeling like the world's worst kitty parent.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Hoping to get some advice about my 3 year old kitty(Domestic Short-haired), She has been to the vets several times regarding this matter but a year on and we are no better off than when it started.
Through the day she is meowing quite loudly for prolonged periods of time, She stops when I go to her but that's only a short lived solution as she will start again, it's quite a high pitched meowing, She also has an issue with compulsive grooming to the point she will cause sore patches and patches of fur been left on the floor.
We have tried everything for vet has suggested, toys, aroma plug in thing(Feliway) sprays, she gets lots of attention through the day as I'm always home but it doesn't seem to be helping.
She isn't bad at night, usually she will cuddle up on my legs on the bed and sleep but through the day it's becoming quite a nightmare.
She has lots of plah sessions with her toys and me through the day but it doesn't seem to help for long.
She has a sister kitty who she plays with occasionally but more often than not she does her own thing.
She also has her own room filled with toys, scratching posts, cat tower, beds, large window to look out of(the door is always open, she's never closed in there).
She's always up to date with her flea treatment, she gets wet food(Hi-Life) every other day and dry biscuits in a feeder all the time, she has several places for water and dry food and also 3 litter trays in different places which are always kept clean with Pet-Fresh disinfectant spray.
Really as a loss on what to do to help her now, she's an indoor kitty(always has been) but she has a very large variety of stimulation toys.
The vet said it could be caused by Stress or allergies(but allergies wouldn't explain the prolonged meowing throughout the day), she has had lots of tests done at the vets and they can't seem to pin point the cause of the over grooming(causing sore patches) and small clumps of fur been found.

Any advice at all would be amazing, think I've covered everything but please feel free to ask anything as I am currently feeling like the world's worst kitty parent.
It sounds too me that you need perhaps a further "Cat Distraction ". I also have two indoor only cats. This past winter I setup a Corn Feeder for both Squirrels and Chipmunks . The Corn feeder sits directly across from my Cat Tree. With only inches of glass separating the two.
Others from this group have found other distractions like a Aquarium with fish; having wall mounted Cat runs or cat seating high up on a wall. I hope these few extra ideas are of some help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds too me that you need perhaps a further "Cat Distraction ". I also have two indoor only cats. This past winter I setup a Corn Feeder for both Squirrels and Chipmunks . The Corn feeder sits directly across from my Cat Tree. With only inches of glass separating the two.
Others from this group have found other distractions like a Aquarium with fish; having wall mounted Cat runs or cat seating high up on a wall. I hope these few extra ideas are of some help.
Hi

Thank you so much for the reply it's hugely appreciated, we already have 2 Aquariums which she has shown no interest in and recently got her a 7ft cat tower which she does use and sleeps right at the top but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be enough as she still has the meowing fits throughout the day 😞

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

Thank you so much for the reply it's hugely appreciated, we already have 2 Aquariums which she has shown no interest in and recently got her a 7ft cat tower which she does use and sleeps right at the top but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be enough as she still has the meowing fits throughout the day 😞
Do you ever get down on the floor with Kitty and play one on one with her ? I do that occasionally with my younger boy. As he's one whom requires more attention .

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you ever get down on the floor with Kitty and play one on one with her ? I do that occasionally with my younger boy. As he's one whom requires more attention .
I do indeed 😀
She has quite a lot of toys so I'll sit on the floor with her and play

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do indeed 😀
She has quite a lot of toys so I'll sit on the floor with her and play
I don't Know what else to suggest. I guess thinking up new distractions could be a new priority. Do both cats play together ? My older boy(Miles) gets upset if I'm giving the younger one(Jackpot )added attention . Miles will attack him. Nothing serious happens. It's fun too watch. Jackpot is actually the dominant of the two Cats.

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't Know what else to suggest. I guess thinking up new distractions could be a new priority. Do both cats play together ? My older boy(Miles) gets upset if I'm giving the younger one(Jackpot )added attention . Miles will attack him. Nothing serious happens. It's fun too watch. Jackpot is actually the dominant of the two Cats.
Sadly not, my other kitty is quite a bit older but they do have a Tom n Jerry(chasing each other) moment now n again, I have been looking on amazon for more toys for her and saw some tunnel tube things so going to order a couple of them to see if it helps at all, running out of ideas to keep her occupied, I've asked the vet and bought everything they recommended including feliway plugin things in lounge and bedroom which seem to help a little but barely

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly not, my other kitty is quite a bit older but they do have a Tom n Jerry(chasing each other) moment now n again, I have been looking on amazon for more toys for her and saw some tunnel tube things so going to order a couple of them to see if it helps at all, running out of ideas to keep her occupied, I've asked the vet and bought everything they recommended including feliway plugin things in lounge and bedroom which seem to help a little but barely
I have One of those collapsible nylon tubes. It was a big hit for the first 6 months or so. As both boys played in it frequently . I keep it in my livingroom. I Purchased mine from Chewy. I often use a "Pet Fishing Pole" that I have from Amazon, attached a natural fur piece too. My younger boy loves the fur piece. He's a better player than the older boy. As its grab and release. The older boy is grab and never let go. I found the Fur piece on Esty. I have two a Raccoon and Coyote tails.

Last edited:

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have One of those collapsible nylon tubes. It was a big hit for the first 6 months or so. As both boys played in it frequently . I keep it in my livingroom. I Purchased mine from Chewy. I often use a "Pet Fishing Pole" that I have from Amazon, attached a natural fur piece too. My younger boy loves the fur piece. He's a better player than the older boy. As its grab and release. The older boy is grab and never let go. I found the Fur piece on Esty. I have two a Raccoon and Coyote tails.
She's definitely a grab and never let go too!
I have been using one of the laser pen things which she goes mental for(Vet gave us it) will definitely look into a good tunnel toy for her and also look for one of the fishing things you mentioned as I think she would enjoy that

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's definitely a grab and never let go too!
I have been using one of the laser pen things which she goes mental for(Vet gave us it) will definitely look into a good tunnel toy for her and also look for one of the fishing things you mentioned as I think she would enjoy that
My boy Miles the Black/White Inset photo. Is rather destructive toward the fur tail. I don't often let him in have the tail too long as he wants to rip it apart. Do you talk to your Cats as if they were people? I do. I think it helps their mental Status.

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Miles the Black/White Inset photo. Is rather destructive toward the fur tail. I don't often let him in have the tail too long as he wants to rip it apart. Do you talk to your Cats as if they were people? I do. I think it helps their mental Status.
I do that all the time, for me it's like having fur children.
Mina is quite destructive too, she has a particularly fluffy toy from pets at home with catnip inside and she seems to like trying to rip that one apart(thankfully she hasn't managed it) and another one that looks like a fluffy spider that she will go bonkers with.
Having a good look on Amazon for interactive cat toys, she did love one that hangs on the door and squeaks but she barely touches it now.

I'm thinking if I got her a few of the tunnels that connect together that I can hide treats or toys in might interest her

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that all the time, for me it's like having fur children.
Mina is quite destructive too, she has a particularly fluffy toy from pets at home with catnip inside and she seems to like trying to rip that one apart(thankfully she hasn't managed it) and another one that looks like a fluffy spider that she will go bonkers with.
Having a good look on Amazon for interactive cat toys, she did love one that hangs on the door and squeaks but she barely touches it now.

I'm thinking if I got her a few of the tunnels that connect together that I can hide treats or toys in might interest her
Here's another idea. Do you happen to have either A wood or laminate floor ? If so get some "Marbles". I have some clear ones. Both boys love chasing them when I throw them across the floor. Often they self play with the marbles as well.
Also those Catnip balls they will chase if thrown. At first they would retrieve the Catnip Balls, but now they're Too lazy.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, wean your cat off the biscuits and stop free feeding. Some cats get skin problems from dry food.

Second, allergies most certainly can cause meowing. Allergies cause discomfort and pain and if great enough, your cat will vocalize that. Playing with him will temporarily distract him from his discomfort, but at night when everyone is asleep, he’s feeling it.

Third, some cats develop a condition where their skin is over sensitive. I forget what it’s called. It’s symptoms are much like what you’re describing in your cat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Third, some cats develop a condition where their skin is over sensitive. I forget what it’s called. It’s symptoms are much like what you’re describing in your cat.
Rolling skin syndrome is its common name. Technical name is hyperesthesia syndrome.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet suggested allergies then I would explore that. This is pretty common and can cause itchy skin that just causes kitties to be very uncomfortable. Did bloodwork indicate any inflammation? That could be a clue. You can try a process of eliminating/changing one thing at a time. Litter can be an irritant so maybe try a non fragrant and dust free version. Food cat be the culprit too. Don’t change everything at once or you won’t be able to pin down the irritant but start with one thing and keep notes! I have two cats that are super sensitive. A third used to be. It is a single flea but for one cat. One bite and she gets itchy skin. For another it seems to be litter and for the third it is good ingredients. Both dry and wet! It takes a little detective work but it can change everything once you figure it out. For the litter I still keep an air filter running with a hepa filter. Jeremiah has really improved! His skin is healed and he doesn’t itch anymore! Mama now wears a Seresto collar and gets flea treatments. No more itching for her either. The third cat is on a different diet and is also well again. She used to be kind of frantic and played like she was attacking things. She tended to nip me too and was sort of grouchy. Now she is calm and never nips. She is a happy cat. It took time and help from the vet to figure this out but it changed everything for these kitties. Maybe something in this info will be a solution for your kitty too. I hope so.

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone

We are going back to vets on 26th(Earliest appointment, but told to phone on Tuesday on the off chance they have a cancellation) as we still haven't got any further 😞
It seemed to have eased off a little but then went back to square one, I did witness her scratching and pulling a chunk of fur out earlier today(Her flea treatment is up to date, she was given a treatment at Vets that lasts 3 months but can't recall name) and she has a couple of bald patches and one that looks a little sore(Applying the cream the vet gave her last time on their advice until her appointment) bought her more play toys and replaced the felliway plugs recently too.
We are trying to slowly change 1 thing at a time to see if anything could be triggering it but not having a lot of luck, she's using the wood pellet(dust removed) litter which is changed daily and also cleaned each time it's used.
Her current food is Hi-Life pure Tuna Loin or Hi-Life Pure Chicken Breast.
Hoping we get further at her vet appointment, I'm gonna phone them Tuesday as advised to see if they have any cancellations but we have a definite appointment on the 26th with her favourite vet(Soonest set appointment they had as they don't consider it an emergency)