Advice needed!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are most likely moving in September or October to the Santa Barbara area to take care of Mike's mom. Thing is, she is highly allergic to cats. We are going to keep the cats but they will have to be outside cats. We want to build an enclosure to keep them safe, happy and warm with their toys, litterbox, bedding, food and water. It must be large enough for us to walk in. Any advice to get one or build one for a couple hundred.? I saw one on-line but it was $4500!

Also, traveling with them. It is a couple of hunded miles away. We were thinking of a large dog crate.

Any help would be appreciated.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would travel with separate cages no matter HOW good they get along.  They get freaked and attack each other  or if you have a medical emergenecy with one you risk the other(s) bolting.  

Post an ad on Craigslist asking if anyone knows someone or can do it is my best suggestion. Get a few pics of what you have in your mind and send them to see if they can come close.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about a couple hundred in California.

There are some plans online I believe. But I would put a Craigslist ad in his mom's area and see who bites. Just be cautious.

We talked about attaching one to our office shed, but since it was for one cat we weren't making a big one.

I think a couple of people on here bought ready made and wish they had built. My husband isn't a carpenter and I think he can handle the enclosure, with my supervision of course.

Good article, for lots more cats http://www.thecatsite.com/a/building-a-cat-enclosure

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 2 x 4s and wire fencing/cage mesh, you can build it yourself. . .I don't know about a couple hundred---doesn't everything cost more than that now? :tongue2: But certainly cheaper than a pre-built one. If you can't build it yourselves you can hire a handyman.