Advice Needed To Feed 9 Year Old Cat

Bluesman111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 year old Tabby, Daisy, began eating about half of the 3 oz Fancy Feast pate I've been feeding her for years, then vocalizing to me to feed her. I'm interpreting her "cat language" as saying she doesn't like the flavor anymore. So I went to Petco and bought some more "natural ingredient" product a clerk recommended. No dice. I went back to Petco and bought some "Wellness Signature Selects" in her favorite content, chicken. First meal, went well. Second meal, she wolfed it down, then barfed it all up within minutes. I could (and have for now) decided to feed her only the dry food she likes and keeps down: Royal Canin anti-hairball for adults. But I'd like to find a wet food she likes and can keep down. Suggestions would be welcome. TIA

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she is not ill? Have her behaviors changed? Is she sleeping a lot? How are her bowel movements and toilet habits?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bluesman111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her behavior hasn't noticeably changed, she is not sleeping any more than usual, although she seems to have had diarhea, especially with the second "high protein" wet food I fed her.

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did she potentially vomit it up because she ate too fast? Maybe try a tablespoon to begin with and then after she finishes, waiting a few mins and trying more?

Bluesman111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did she potentially vomit it up because she ate too fast? Maybe try a tablespoon to begin with and then after she finishes, waiting a few mins and trying more?
Just basing my interpretation on 9 years of experience with her feeding habits, my sense is that the food was more likely just too rich for her. My vet once told me that cats have surprisingly delicate stomachs when it comes to changing their foods. But if I'm right here, my predicament is finding a wet food that agrees with her--or just feeding her dry food and the occasional dry treats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do have sensitive stomachs when it comes to changing their foods. Did you slowly transition her to the new food by mixing it with the old food and adjusting the proportion of old to new over several days? Or did you open the new can and plate it without any transition? If the latter, I would go back to the Fancy Feast she does okay with and mix it with the new food, 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food. Feed like this for a day or two until you have confirmed that it stays down and doesn't wreck the box. Then you can adjust to 1/2 and 1/2 and feed like this for another poop. Each poop you can determine whether you're proceeding (good poops), holding (soft but mostly formed), or aborting (formless liquid poops rarely firm up with repeated feedings.) If every poop is perfect, it should still take about 4 or 5 days to transition a cat to a new food.

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy has a sensitive tummy, the Weruva BFF pates are great for him! They are a bit lower calorie and not as rich for sure.

Bluesman111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats do have sensitive stomachs when it comes to changing their foods. Did you slowly transition her to the new food by mixing it with the old food and adjusting the proportion of old to new over several days? Or did you open the new can and plate it without any transition? If the latter, I would go back to the Fancy Feast she does okay with and mix it with the new food, 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food. Feed like this for a day or two until you have confirmed that it stays down and doesn't wreck the box. Then you can adjust to 1/2 and 1/2 and feed like this for another poop. Each poop you can determine whether you're proceeding (good poops), holding (soft but mostly formed), or aborting (formless liquid poops rarely firm up with repeated feedings.) If every poop is perfect, it should still take about 4 or 5 days to transition a cat to a new food.
Thanks. This sounds like excellent advice and I've started adjusting her plate accordingly. So far, so good.