Advice needed plus rant.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Forget about signing any confidentiality agreement. You're not being paid; if she wants to cut her own throat by "firing" you for not signing it, so be it. I know you worry about the animals, and there not being enough volunteers to take care of them. Since that's probably the case now with so many people "being fired" or quitting, contact animal control in your area, make them aware of your concerns, and ask them to investigate. If you're not sure whom to contact in your area, Mark Kumpf, the TCS AC advisor, may be able to point you in the right direction: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/member.php?u=5995

I saw the same thing happen at a local volunteer shelter years ago, and know that history is repeating itself at a rescue organization in our county right now. It has made me very wary. There are certain people who come to feel that they are the "only" ones who can make the best decisions for the animals' welfare, and they become very controlling and paranoid. The next step is that they become hoarders.
I agree with this 100%! This woman needs to be reported. Part of her need to enforce an "instant" confidentiality agreement may be that she knows animal care is going to go down dramatically and she doesn't want to be reported.

Also the donation/candy bar selling sounds a bit on the edgy side if you were doing under a non-profit status. With her being the shelter "owner" and it all being run by donations things can get complicated when it comes to money.

There are so many well run shelters that desperately need volunteers. No one should be abused in such a manner. The animals there also should not suffer due to this woman's lack of respected and inability to keep volunteers.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are smart not to sign anything. I commend you for staying this long for the animals, don't know how you managed that, doubt I could! Time to leave I would say, or go above her and let them know what is going on.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that you wont sign.

I can see your dilema, being one of the only ones who are full time. I know you care about the animals there, and I know they won't get such good care if you are gone, but think about yourself. You live in a free country and no-one deserves to be treated the way you are. Find another rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

How brave are you? If you can do it, call her out, stand up to her. If someone doesn't, she's gonna implode & take the animals down with her.
People have.. all those 3 that quit and the 3 that were fired are gone all for that exact reason. They weren't going to do whatever she said so they were gone. And I admit that I've done pretty well everything that she's told me to do.. because I can't say no when it comes to the animals.

And the condition of the animals have gone from good to bad. Let me explain the building situation first. We are in the process of buying the building. There is 9000sqft that the cats pretty well run free in. We have areas separated off like the main population(main centre), the kitten room, the special needs room, and the special needs room that isn't so special needs(also the room where the boss lady LIVES. Yes, lives. Which is highly illegal by the way).
Anyway.. in the kitten room, there was approx 30 kittens I'd say ranging from 10weeks-8months of age. All doing healthy and doing well. Until she moved in a KNOWN sick momma cat and her 5 kittens. Since then 3 of her 5 kittens have died and numerous in the kitten room have gotten the URI. I told her off about them yesterday and she finally moved them to the special needs room. Now there might be 15 kittens left in the kitten area. Thats not right. She doesn't even care about the animals anymore it seems.

And if an animal is dying, she lets it die instead of taking it to be euthanized. Sometimes the cat will take hours if not a day or two to die by itself.. but she doesn't want to 'waste' the money on the euthanisia.

I want to report her to the SPCA or something but I am afraid they will confiscate healthy cats and euthanize them if they aren't adopted or whatever.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

And if an animal is dying, she lets it die instead of taking it to be euthanized. Sometimes the cat will take hours if not a day or two to die by itself.. but she doesn't want to 'waste' the money on the euthanisia.

I want to report her to the SPCA or something but I am afraid they will confiscate healthy cats and euthanize them if they aren't adopted or whatever.
You NEED to report her to whatever authority there is.
I worked at a shelter for a couple years that was considered a "kill" shelter. They did not just euthanize indiscriminately. They were one of the better shelters I've ever dealt with but still, the employees and management cared about the animals. Nobody was "left to die" when there are much more humane ways. Please report this woman. A lot of times shelters will work with other rescues when large numbers of animals are confiscated, so the animals may end up in other rescues.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By not reporting her you may be contributing to the problem. It sounds as though this facility may already be going downhill and as it gathers momentum all the animals are going to suffer. The most humane thing you can do is report her to the proper authorities and let them deal with her and the situation. I'm certain the other 6 persons just recently fired/quit would back you up.

This may sound harsh, but I'd sooner see the animals humanely euthanized than to die slow, horrible deaths in this facility with this woman. As another poster said though, hopefully the healthy animals would be saved and re-located.

I hope you get these animals help now before they get too sick to save.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is a lost cause. You may cause healthy animals to be euthanized....but if she keeps going, how many are going to suffer horrible deaths? How many more animals lives will she risk?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would report her and check with local rescues to see if they have any space to take some of the healthy ones rather than have the SPCA feel they are dumped with too many cats. I know here when there is space we all help each other out to make sure they don't get PTS unnecessarily.

Like Yosemite, I would even rather they were PTS humanely than risk them getting sick and being left to die to save money, which is at the same time putting the other animals at further risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%. It's just hard when you know and love the animals. But I have been pondering calling the SPCA and have their card pinned up on the fridge for when I am ready to do so.
Which will be soon. Also will be contacting the by-law office or something to let them know she is living there. As well as I have to find out who I talk to about the finances.
I was talking to my mum yesterday and she said that because they are a 'not for profit' organization, that their financial statements must be available and ready at all times. That anyone can look at them whever they want. So people can see how much money is coming in, and where is is going.
But she moved all the financial cabiets to a locked room where only she has the key.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess, my first step would be an "anonymous" tip to the by-law office that she's living there. That might push a few buttons & get things rolling....without you having to get too far in it.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about the shelter, but I know at work we have to have financial statements available but are allowed 72 hours to produce them (for anyone except the government obviously).

I would definitely report that she is living there and that known sick cats were brought in and not quarantined because she lives in the quarantine room, as well as her lack of euthanasia to save money

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you've been put into this situation. It would be so nice if doing the right thing were always clear or easy, but I think you'll get through this just fine. And I hope you can find a place where your time and help will be appreciated.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry you are going through this. It is heartbreaking.

I think though, the sooner you are able to report her the better things will be for the animals. She is out of control, breaking the law, endangering the animals and causing suffering. At this point she has ceased to be a sanctuary for a good number of the cats there.

If you are able to talk to the SPCA and other shelters first as others have suggested that should hopefully give some time to come up with emergency placement for the cats.

Another option is to get the media there to publicize the seizure. Often the public will pitch in with monetary donations and offers of fostering or adoption.

Sending lots of positive vibes your way so things get settled quickly and safely.