Advice Needed, Please

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has started a disturbing behavior. She is about 12, and I have had her since birth. No changes have occurred such as moving or a new pet. She loves, or demands to be in my lap every time I sit down. The problem is that I cannot move her to get up. She literally attacks me. Yesterday, I tried to pick her up to move her, and she went to "strike" like a snake at my face! While she is in my lap, she will reach up past the neck of my shirt to get to skin no matter how high I pull up my shirt. She will "hug" me with claws out. I often have to call someone else in the house to come and pick her up from behind. If I try while she is facing me, her face transforms, and I am getting bit and scratched. I love her very much, and she is very sweet otherwise. It is only when she is in my lap. I can't afford testing and medication at this time for her. Any advice on how to diffuse the situation? I am disabled, and need to sit often to rest, but only for a few minutes. I would like to be able to get back up to do chores, or use the bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already do that. She digs in her back claws. The tops of my thighs are torn up, along with a few pairs of pants. I try to keep a thick towel on my lap now. Thank you, though! :bigeyes:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A long with the heavy towel that you place on your lap, can you have another nearby to literally throw over her and wrap her up in it to removed her from your lap?

Our weather here in Central Florida has been particularly cold for us - if that is true in Tampa, is it possible she is reluctant to give up your warm lap? Especially, if at her age she has some arthritis? Perhaps, if you have space next to you, you could turn on a heating blanket/pad to its lowest setting and see if you might be able to entice to move from your lap to it? Maybe even cover her with it before you attempt to get up and move her that way? If it is the warmth she is wanting, a few times of doing this might be enough for her to realize you are giving her a replacement source of warmth.

marlameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar experience with one of ours once. My neighbor at the time was a woodworker
A long with the heavy towel that you place on your lap, can you have another nearby to literally throw over her and wrap her up in it to removed her from your lap?

Our weather here in Central Florida has been particularly cold for us - if that is true in Tampa, is it possible she is reluctant to give up your warm lap? Especially, if at her age she has some arthritis? Perhaps, if you have space next to you, you could turn on a heating blanket/pad to its lowest setting and see if you might be able to entice to move from your lap to it? Maybe even cover her with it before you attempt to get up and move her that way? If it is the warmth she is wanting, a few times of doing this might be enough for her to realize you are giving her a replacement source of warmth.
This worked for me. I had a kitty that I didn't want on my lap but still wanted to feel close to me and be able to pet her. So I set a warming bed next to me on the chair and she preferred to sit there and we were able to both enjoy each other's company without her overheating me, digging her claws in, etc.

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I may try that, although I'm not sure that the warmth is what she wants. When she is not in my lap, her preferred spot is on top of the litter bucket in the hall outside of my room. There is no heat vent there, but I do keep my room warm. A larger towel that I could wrap her in might work.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may not work, but with a demanding kitty, who would get pissy when moved, and he would sometimes attack, I simply did not move him.
Don't acknowledge in any way, don't touch her, don't say anything, don't even look at her and just stand up. She'll have no choice but to jump off and not attack if she does not want to fall.
Hopefully your disability does not stop you from getting up quickly enough though. (Obviously not so fast that she goes flying!!!!;))
This helped me with my cranky pants kitty. He was actually less angry doing it that way than if I payed attention, talked or touched him to get him to move.

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I am not able to stand up quickly, but when I have tried, she digs in and tries to hold on. Very painful! I have tried ignoring her, and just suddenly attempt to move her. This works sometimes. Thank you!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My first inclination is that she is feeling ill or painful. Considering her age, anything could be going on (arthritis, kidney/liver/thyroid issues). Remember, cats are usually very good at hiding symptoms of illness, but sudden moodiness or aggressiveness is a red flag in my book. If the behavior doesn't abate, I'd make a vet appointment.

LightFoot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, you could try changing her food.. canned could help, homemade would be even better since some of the canned is full of sugar and additives. It sounds like she is trying to tell you that she's ill and more times than not it is their commercial diet that is at fault. You could try some raw turkey mixed with some canned red salmon. This is where I would start and it won't cost you very much. Best of luck to you and your kitty.

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It isn't exactly new behavior. She has always been an aggressive cat when it comes to being disturbed. It just seemed to have gotten more intense. She is otherwise acting quite normal. She plays, jumps, and eats very well. I do believe that I have figured it out, though. She has had a quirk for as long as I can remember. She will pick a resting spot, and always go to this spot for a month or two. She has always strongly resisted being moved from her "spot". I think that I have become her new "spot". Instead of giving in and sitting with her for as long as I can, I have been biting the bullet and making her jump down much more often. After only a day of this, she is much better. Just a nudge, and she jumps down, and now waits for me to call her back to sit with me. I just had to really think hard about it, and her characteristics. I am very happy about this. I am usually pretty good with cats, and I was stumped. My first thought was illness or pain, too, but something just told me that this wasn't the case with her. I really appreciate everyone that took the time to respond, and offer helpful suggestions. This is a wonderful community for all of us cat lovers out there! Thank you all!