Advice needed- oil-dirty cat

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello :) my cats are both outdoor cats, and occasionally get dirty enough to need a wash, especially Berbol who is fluffy, and ginger and white.

Today Berbol came in with some grey stains on his fur. I know that sometimes cats go into cars for warmth,but he never does. He learnt his lesson to stay away from them before. The stains on his fur are mainly on his paws, tummy, bum and a little on his tail. They weren't wet or oily, just his fur was stained grey and was its usual fluffy, dry self. I'm assuming that when he was out he walked in a puddle of oil or sat in some soot.

So i washed him, but the stain doesn't want to come out. I used some natural hypoallergenic (human) soap at first, as our pet soap is gone,and have used it before with good results. When i saw the stain wansnt coming out, I tried a little bit of dish soap on his chest, but that didn't work either.

I took him out of the sink and dried off most of the water, and he is licking himself dry right now. I'm not worried about him ingesting whatever it is; he's been an outdoor cat all his life and has gotten dirty before, I just don't remember how we got it off then . So these are some pictures I took just now:

I need advice as to how to get it off. Would pet stores have special shampoos for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance,
Berb :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, we don't have that in Ireland :p i tried using Fairy

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I'd just leave it.  I'm pretty sure you got rid of anything that might be dangerous to him, so what is left is simply a stain.  And, unlike stained clothes, stained fur takes care of itself.  If it's not bothering him, why let it bother you?

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!