Advice Needed!! Has To Do With "well Being" Of Cats

hellothere1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, to start, I have 2 cats, one 15+ yr old M (Professor) and a 3 yr old F. (Ivy).

We just got a Chow puppy about a month ago (13 weeks old now). I also volunteer for rescue and foster small dogs (haven't fostered a cat yet) but we decided to take a break while the new puppy settles in. Puppy is still hyper but she is doing better and better with the cats each day. This is a transition for the cats still and they are getting used to it, but they are doing well. Even my shy cat (Ivy) is approaching the puppy.

So I got an e-mail from the lady I work with from the rescue and the shelter she partners with is completely full. They are begging for fosters or adopters or they will have to euthanize. This is a smaller shelter that normally doesn't have to euthanize but they are overloaded right now.

I feel absolutely guilty and want to foster but do you think if I add another animal the cats health or well being will suffer? I know they are sensitive creatures and I wouldn't want to put them at risk but there are other animals in need.

I'm leaning more towards a cat because it would have to be separated for a while. Do you think I should foster a cat or dog? Or just wait until everything is more settled. Shelters are always full, I don't think that will change, but this time they are reaching out for help personally to the rescue I work with. I feel awful for the older cats because they barely get a chance. I know I am having an emotional response right now so I need others advice. If I fostered or adopted a cat it would be in a separate room for the decompressing period but I know all the animals would know something's up.

My shy girl Ivy loves other animals, I don't think she would have much of a problem with a new cat, but I wouldn't want her to be overwhelmed. Prof is more outgoing but at the same time he thinks all the attention belongs to him. If I did get another cat I would ask for a shy one because Prof is the believe he rules the roost and I couldn't have an outgoing cat challenging him. He can be feisty at times but he is still good with other animals. My two cats do get along and are bonded now but it did take about a year.

If you were in my situation what would you do? Any advice is appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's a tough choice. Of course, YOUR furbabies come first, but you want to help out others too :sigh:

Can you foster on the stipulation that if it doesn't work out you can return them?

I think if I were you I would definitely foster a cat, and keep it/them in a separate room. Yes, everyone in your household will know they are there, but perhaps with a door to separate them all, things can remain fairly status quo. Only trying it out will tell for sure.