Advice Needed For Feral Cat Hair Loss?

mbc0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We moved into a new house in August last year where we discovered (and was informed by the neighbours) a feral cat that had been around for years. My Wife immediately felt sorry for this cat and put out a wooden box and bedding for it which the cat seems very happy with as it sleeps in it every night and is greeted by my Wife every morning with some fresh food. After 9 months of this, after much hissing and growling the cat is allowing us to get close to it and very happy to receive lots of fuss and stroking which has also allowed us to take some close up photo's of what at first appeared to be a shaved back but seeing as the cat has had this shaved hair appearance for 9 months or more it would have surely grown back? It does not look like mange after googling but would love to hear your opinions so we can perhaps look at some treatment for it?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbc0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Noticed a little bit of baldness on his legs too!

Will try to get a picture tonight....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, I've got to say I've never seen anything like that before! I know that's not very helpful, but it's the truth. But other than that "shaved" streak, what a gorgeous coat :loveeyes:

Usually when there are bald spots, it's either stress induced "plucking", or possibly food, but this is so precise, and you said it's been there since day one that I really don't suspect either one of these things. I just wonder if something happened to him where the fur can never grow back there...some sort of accident where the hair follicles were destoyed somehow :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbc0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many Thanks for your reply, it may just remain a mystery as trying to get him in a box for a trip to the vets would almost certainly undo all the good work! just want to be sure that he is not in any discomfort really!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
do you ever notice him scratching or excessive licking that area?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thought I would let you know that he is actually a she :)
Tortie girl.
I've seen this shaved look before but don't know what the owners ever found out it was caused from, if they ever found out at all.
Is there new hair growth on that area or no?

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We take care of a colony and have noticed several cats with patchy bald spots but never in a strip like that. What I have noticed is the long haired cats get very matted in the spring and summer. Sometimes the matting gets very tight and will pull at the skin. The cat will pull at the matting to remove it resulting in bald spots. We have one outside cat now that is going through this. She was feral but after a year she has become very friendly and lives in our detached garage at night. She loves her brushing but has lost large patches due to the matting. Somebi have cut off of her to relieve the pulling of her skin. Some she rips out herself. If you see no obvious signs of disease or trauma, it could be as simple as matted fur.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like he is going under something that is just sharp enough to cut the hair.

troubadours

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We moved into a new house in August last year where we discovered (and was informed by the neighbours) a feral cat that had been around for years. My Wife immediately felt sorry for this cat and put out a wooden box and bedding for it which the cat seems very happy with as it sleeps in it every night and is greeted by my Wife every morning with some fresh food. After 9 months of this, after much hissing and growling the cat is allowing us to get close to it and very happy to receive lots of fuss and stroking which has also allowed us to take some close up photo's of what at first appeared to be a shaved back but seeing as the cat has had this shaved hair appearance for 9 months or more it would have surely grown back? It does not look like mange after googling but would love to hear your opinions so we can perhaps look at some treatment for it?

Many Thanks
Hello, I am wondering if you ever found an answer to this cat hair loss? My cat has the same exact thing, it appears. Did you ever get an answer and would you be willing to share? I am recovering from surgery, can't drive and can't get him to the vet (he won't let anyone else get him to take him either). Thanks for any help you can provide