Advice needed - cats and toddlers!

jane07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

We have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter and we are hoping to adopt a cat from the rspca. We are torn between two cats and would appreciate any advice you can offer!

Cat 1 is 10 yrs old, owner gone into nursing home. Staff say a good family cat but a little timid until she gets to know you then v friendly and loving. Needs someone to let her take her time to come out of her shell and she will be good.

Cat 2 is 1 yr old. V friendly and alert, again they said would make a good family cat.

We have had an older cat before so the age of the first one doesnt really concern me and she has been in there a while because of her age.

What I am wondering is which would be best with a small child in the house from a safety point of view???

I am more swayed to the older cat as I think she will be less interested in my daughter/her toys etc and probably just want to be somewhere quite to sleep and then come out for cuddles but then again the noise may scare her.

The younger cat is super friendly but I am concerned she will be a lot more interested in my daughter and be more likely to have a swipe at her. Also concerned that younger cats are more likely to scratch and spray etc in the house and be a bit more "lively"!

To be honest they are both lovely cats so hard decision and obviously we will be taking all necessary precautions with our daughter - just value some advice to help us! Thanks!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did they say about these 2 cats being around a little kid?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the staff. I have one older cat and she prefers to be left alone, though she is very cuddly with me and my husband. Every cat is different though, and I tried to rescue an older cat after her owner died suddenly, and she would just hiss and scratch. I eventually had to surrender her.

However if this older cat is anything like my Dusty, I would prefer her over a younger one, especially if she is mellow and friendly.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My concern with cat #1 is that your 2.5 year old would be too anxious to pet the kitty and play with it and the cat wouldn't be ready yet. So, talk to the people at the shelter and see if they have any insight.

runnerup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about getting both cats so they can play with each other and your daughter can pet one or both when they are nice and tired?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by runnerup

What about getting both cats so they can play with each other and your daughter can pet one or both when they are nice and tired?
Two cats that far apart in age would most likely not get along, as the younger cat will have tons more energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jane07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to let u know we got the younger cat in the end. We had another visit to the older one and this time my daughter was v tired and was crying a bit and the poor thing looked quite scared, we couldnt stroke her or get near her so thought unfaiur to bring her into a noisy household with kids. The younger one so far is v friendly and has settled right in! Thanks for all your advice!

diordiva8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say get the youngest and most active cat. I have a 3 year old and I have two 9 year old kitties. Cleopatra, she doesn't like to be bothered by anyone, she's the sweetest kitty with me but when she sees other people she runs. She HATES my son. When he walks in the room she leaves. I don't see her when he's around. Usually she only comes out when he's sleeping or gone. My other 9 year old kitty Bonita is very active and loves to play. She plays with my son all the time. She's always in everybody's business and she's very social. Toddlers are like a nightmare for cats so get a cat that is social or the cat will get overwehlmed.