Advice Needed-Cat Hates Us after spaying.

Artcurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a stray who has had two litters of kittens, then was spayed. Before the spaying, she was very calm and affectionate, she would jump up in our laps and chill out. She's probably about two years old.

Now while she's not mean or attacking us, anything like that, she'll barely have anything to do with us. She wants to play and it very active, and we do play with her, but she's not affectionate at all anymore. She barely tolerates handling, and can't decide if she wants in or out. It's a really sad situation because my Dad hasn't been feeling very well and that cat is one the few things that was helping.

I don't know if this means anything but she had the last litter of kittens during the Texas ice storm, and only one survived. She actually brought that kitten in the house, and that kitten was adopted in March. She was spayed right about the time the kitten stopped nursing.

Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have much of anything to offer, but was wondering if she was essentially indoors until after her spay. If so, letting her back outside afterward might be part of the issue. Not always, but in many cases cats that are allowed to spend time outdoors tend to end up preferring that to being inside and cuddly, especially when they are younger. And, sometimes cats are actually more affectionate because of the hormones, not necessarily just when in heat. That should change somewhat as she get a bit older and settles down more. If she is eating/drinking/using the litter box fine, then it would seem less likely that there is a health issue involved.

Until someone else comes along with better ideas, you might consider how to make her an indoor only cat, and try using some of the tips in this TCS article to see if that might help any. I also included one about making an outdoor cat into an indoor only one, just in case.
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artcurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat was a stray that would dive for the door when we opened the door to go inside. I finally gave up and let her in. She would NOT be happy being indoor only. Oftentimes, she'll sit in the window and watch everything outside. She's eating normally and was litter trained already, no current problems.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all my cats and there were quite a number of them, enjoyed watching what was going on outside, none wanted to go back out. Most had had bad experiences outside and knew the evils that could go after cats out there. But they still liked to look out the window and keep an eye on things. Some think it's like watching TV for them, I think it's partly watching to be certain nothing bad is sneaking up on the house.

I actually had one sink all her front claws into the door jamb to keep from going outside.